IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 18 - Game 9 - Defender

[ Intellivision HSC Season 18 ]

[ Game 9 ]

Defender

Defender.jpg.980200a0fa7b20128cf5ba4d5b3d29b6.jpg

Defender by AtariSoft 1983

Landers, Bombers, Baiters, Pods and Swarmers. The alien attack has come and defeat at the hands of crazed invaders threatens the Humanoids. The planet's only hope is your spaceship, Defender.

defender.gif.b6e99376fa0f65091680ea29a80812eb.gif

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21489/intellivision/Defender-1983-Atarisoft.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Defender

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

108,950 CParsley

Game Setting

PRESS DISC

Game Objective

Aliens from a distant solar system are swarming over the planet Humanis. They're kidnapping Humanoids and mutating them into a permanent part of the alien force. Their mission is to transform all the Humanoids before destroying the entire planet. First, they infest the planet with Landers which close in on the planet, abducting the Humanoids. Then the attack intensifies. Baiters, Swarmers and Bombers terrorize the skies. And then, when you least expect it, a deadly Pod collides with your Spaceship and blasts you to pieces. As Captain of the Spaceship Defender, your mission is to destroy the alien force and save the Humanoids. Your speed and skill have earned you this heroic mission. When Humanoids are abducted, you'll have to destroy the Lander and catch the falling Humanoid before returning him to the planet below. Save the planet for as long as you can and score as many points in the process. BE THAT HERO YOU WERE BORN TO BE!!! :P 

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 15,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 30,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 45,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +3.  

Defender Virtual Patch Bonus

Join the "Defenders of the Faith RAIDERS"
You will receive a Defender Virtual Patch Bonus if you score 20,000 points or more on Disc Level. Collect all the silly patches this season.... :P 

Defender.PNG.fa04214700ca2173cdab72fa0117a63d.PNG

Season Theme: Flying / Falling / Floating Objects

Contest Ends
SUNDAY APRIL 2ND 11:59:59PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

52,075 - (+3 Bonus Points) - PATCHED - [+13][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE] - JacobZu7zu7

32,975 - (+2 Bonus Points) PATCHED - [+12] - wongojack

31,925 - (+2 Bonus Points) PATCHED - [+11] - lupovax

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

28,700 - (+1 Bonus Point) - PATCHED - [+9] - Rickster8

24,475 - (+1 Bonus Point) - PATCHED - [+8] - jimblargh

24,200 - (+1 Bonus Point) - PATCHED - [+7] wolfy62

19,700 (+1 Bonus Point) - [+6] Player One

8,225 - fakecortex [+5]

5,850 - gar0u [+4]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Star Wars: ESB

155 - Rickster8 (8 PATCHES)

94 - lupovax (4 PATCHES)

90 - wongojack (5 PATCHES)

86 - jimblargh (5 PATCHES)

83 - JacobZu7zu7 (2 PATCHES)

62 - wolfy62 (1 PATCH)

45 - IntyFanMatt (3 PATCHES)

42 - gar0u

39 - Player One (1 PATCH)

33 - fakecortex

21 - Sprazzi (1 PATCH)

8 - Northcoastgamer

7 - jblenkle

1 - patbb

Games Won

5 - Rickster8 - Blockade Runner / Popeye / Ice Trek / Demon Attack / Star Wars ESB

1 - Sprazzi - River Raid

1 - IntyFanMatt - TRON: Deadly Discs

1 - Lupovax - TRON: Deadly Dogs

1 - JacobZu7zu7 - Mission 'X'

Sneak Preview: 

Nova Blast

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

My first and probably last Defender score. I've always hated this game on all platforms, most likely cuz I completely suck at it... One of those games I just NEVER get better at.... 🙄

DEFENDER - DEFAULT DISC LEVEL - 22,450 POINTS - PATCHED!!! image.png.1fa05f8ae78aebfe3f90fc371da65584.png

570179995_DEFENDER22450HSC18.thumb.jpg.4183d70b30700222092a1ddcb589fdb6.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 5

Same for me, Rick.  This game had a lot of appeal to me as a kid.  Our little three screen movie theater had a stand up coin-op Defender cab.  I loved playing video games, but I could play Karate Champ for 30m on one quarter at the local pizza joint, or Defender for 30 seconds. 

I might try to spend some time with the Intellivision version--couple of games each day this week and see how my score improves (or doesn't!) at the end of the week.

• Like 3

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Star Wars: ESB

155 - Rickster8 (8 PATCHES)

94 - lupovax (4 PATCHES)

90 - wongojack (5 PATCHES)

86 - jimblargh (5 PATCHES)

83 - JacobZu7zu7 (2 PATCHES)

62 - wolfy62 (1 PATCH)

45 - IntyFanMatt (3 PATCHES)

42 - gar0u

39 - Player One (1 PATCH)

33 - fakecortex

21 - Sprazzi (1 PATCH)

8 - Northcoastgamer

7 - jblenkle

1 - patbb

Games Won

5 - Rickster8 - Blockade Runner / Popeye / Ice Trek / Demon Attack / Star Wars ESB

1 - Sprazzi - River Raid

1 - IntyFanMatt - TRON: Deadly Discs

1 - Lupovax - TRON: Deadly Dogs

1 - JacobZu7zu7 - Mission 'X'

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1

Anther thing I despise about this game is they give you a hyper-space button, but it's located on the number pad, button 5.... For a game that is practically all side button played. You simply CANNOT ever get to button 5 in time to bail you out of a tough situation because you are constantly shooting using the side buttons..... So the hyper-space button is rendered USELESS!!!!

I wish they set it up so hyper-space was one of the four side buttons even if on the right side. Left side top smart bomb, left side bottom laser cannon, right side top hyper-space..... I might have to try and use a different controller in emulation where I can map the buttons out how I want them to do better at this poorly constructed game...... 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jimblargh said:

Disc level - Starting out with 15,750 helpless green humans! 

Never played a lot of defender so I have a lot of room to improve.

I really like the animation when your ship explodes though! 🎆

20230329_211822.jpg

C'mon Jim, they are HUMAN-OIDS not humans.... Please don't shame the HUMAN-OIDS, it's against forum policy, HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P 

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

C'mon Jim, they are HUMAN-OIDS not humans.... Please don't shame the HUMAN-OIDS, it's against forum policy, HAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P 

Oh my gosh I feel terrible for all the humanOIDS! I will do my part from here on out to build a world where all humanoid kind can live in a pixelated world free of insensitive normal fleshy humans like me who can't even tell a human from a humanoid 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, jimblargh said:

Oh my gosh I feel terrible for all the humanOIDS! I will do my part from here on out to build a world where all humanoid kind can live in a pixelated world free of insensitive normal fleshy humans like me who can't even tell a human from a humanoid 😛

Green Arrow Laughing GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Quick Defender Scoring Update:

45,075 - (+3 Bonus Points) - PATCHED - JacobZu7zu7

31,925 - (+2 Bonus Points)PATCHED - lupovax

22,450 - (+1 Bonus Point) - PATCHED - Rickster8

22,225 - (+1 Bonus Point) - PATCHED - jimblargh

19,700 - (+1 Bonus Point) - wolfy62

8,225 - fakecortex

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not someone who can roll the score on Defender or even keep a consistent game going, but I can tell this is a good version of Defender.  I wish the acceleration of the ship was a bit easier to control as it is really difficult to pick up the falling people in mid-air.

image.thumb.jpeg.98d608c9227ab0dd87dff841b616351c.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

I'm not someone who can roll the score on Defender or even keep a consistent game going, but I can tell this is a good version of Defender.  I wish the acceleration of the ship was a bit easier to control as it is really difficult to pick up the falling people in mid-air.

image.thumb.jpeg.98d608c9227ab0dd87dff841b616351c.jpeg

PATCHED!!!image.png.d3e7c4548eb4406faf8b54b596df6f84.png

• Thanks 1