IGNORED

Atari 2600 Dune Prototype Discovered!

Albert

Dune.gifAnother long-lost prototype for the Atari 2600 has been discovered! This time it's Dune, an unreleased game based on the 1984 movie of the same name. It appears that Dune was to be an action/adventure style game similar to Atari's classic Adventure, but given as the game was never finished, we'll never know for sure exactly how it would have turned out. This prototype appears to be only about 30% complete--the game engine seems to be done, but many of the gameplay elements and graphics are missing. Many thanks to Curt Vendel of AtariMuseum.com for allowing us to share this binary with the public. You can download the binary here and read an indepth review of the prototype by Matt Reichert at AtariProtos.com.

MEGA SHIBBY!

Sweet.  Is this something Matt has been sitting on?  Or something newly discovered?

Nope its something I found about 4-5 days ago, had two programmers have a look at it and got it back into a functioning state, delivered to Matt for him to extensively examine and then gave it to Albert last night to post.

Curt

AWESOME!

I love 2600 games based on movies.

Too bad it's so incomplete. The 2600 could use more adventure style games.

Still very interesting reading about what could have been at AtariProtos.com.

I had never even heard a game about Dune was even in development.

Thanks for the info.

That would make sense...since there is no point to having a maze represent the surface of Dune. More likely the screen was intended for the palace or the caverns.

What do you suppose the objective of the game was intended to be? Collecting 100% spice? Defeating the Baron and his minions?

That would make sense...since there is no point to having a maze represent the surface of Dune. More likely the screen was intended for the palace or the caverns.

Probably. We really have no idea what the other rooms would have looked like. There probably would have been a castle screen, a desert screen, some screen wehre Paul could get water, and other stuff like that.

Tempest

Yet another awesome review from Tempest and a first-class generous move from Curt for letting us all check it out.

This is one of those great days for classic gaming fans. Even an incomplete game like this gets the imagination running, picturing the promotions, the box art (I'm sure we'll be seeing some samples soon enough) and how good the whole game may have been. Another chance to curse those who let Atari fall in the glory days. Another opportunity to have that "new Atari cart" sensation.

This was another good day to be logging in to AtariAge.

Still amazes me how stuff is found to this day.

This really is what makes the Atari 2600 the greatest system of all. I'm sure finds like these will keep us mesmerized for years to come!

Great work guys!

Absolutely! :party:

Cheers,

Marco

maybe we can get some dune fans to help keep it as close to an actual dune game as possible and combine with a willing homebrewer and complete it? :-) im sure paul slocrum could do some porting of the movies music? :-) Use adavies still pic technique to add title screen/ maybe a few incendental cinemas during key points in the game? :)