IGNORED

Should I send fz1 for repairs?

I seen e starland offers good pricing as I have no local repair shops. 

Problem is disk drive opens and closes, typical 3do noises happen but nothing on screen?

Maybe simple fix? If someone has a idea what it is I am mechanical but not someone who can diagnose this.

I can solder on the boards if I know what or where to look but I think we have a common failed drive from what I read or simple as a new laser? 

Suggestions on repair or someone good to repair all welcome, thanks for any help.

They are right up the street from me and so I have had a few things fixed through them, including my FZ-1. They do decent enough work but my issue with them is that you can't drop it off and have them, say, recap the entire system. They will generally just do what's needed to get it working again, not future-proof it.

With your FZ-1 it could be a variety of things that could be causing whatever issues you are having. Bad caps in particular are common on these. You could probably open it up and take a look at them, but with how much space the disc drive mechanism takes up, I don't remember if you can see all the caps without taking the drive out.

There are other repair joints out there that do good work and they will likely do everything to future-proof the system, assuming price isn't much of a concern. One I see that regularly takes repairs is iFixRetro (https://www.facebook.com/ifixretro/).

Edited by Austin

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2023 at 4:30 PM, Austin said:

They are right up the street from me and so I have had a few things fixed through them, including my FZ-1. They do decent enough work but my issue with them is that you can't drop it off and have them, say, recap the entire system. They will generally just do what's needed to get it working again, not future-proof it.

With your FZ-1 it could be a variety of things that could be causing whatever issues you are having. Bad caps in particular are common on these. You could probably open it up and take a look at them, but with how much space the disc drive mechanism takes up, I don't remember if you can see all the caps without taking the drive out.

There are other repair joints out there that do good work and they will likely do everything to future-proof the system, assuming price isn't much of a concern. One I see that regularly takes repairs is iFixRetro (https://www.facebook.com/ifixretro/).

He has my 3do now, sounds like it's in good hands, thanks for reference!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SwanSong said:

He has my 3do now, sounds like it's in good hands, thanks for reference!

Great! Let us know how it goes. I plan on sending some of my stuff to him when the funds are available. I haven't had anything done through him before, but have been following his posts for years now and he always shows off the board work and it always looks clean. Guy clearly knows what he's doing and I haven't heard of any complaints.

14 hours ago, SwanSong said:

My CD 2 had the most common fuse pop

Knock on wood, I thankfully have not had that happen to me yet (though I have recently switched over to the Model 1). It seems like quite the common issue on Model 2 units.

Edited by Austin

• 8 months later...
On 5/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, SwanSong said:

Yeah the fuse's are cheap so I got a bunch of I need to again, I love playing final fight to much! 

For my 3do ifix price sounded great for a full overhaul but I will update, said to expect 4-7 week turn around.

How did this turn out?

I have an FZ-1 that seems to work fine except when interacting with a disc drive/ODE (3DO logo, then black screen, no attempt to spin up the disc) and I think the problem is bad solder joints on the CLIO IC as a result, but I haven't had a chance to get the board out to fix it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Late update, my very clean console had the standard rebuild but he told me the disk drive was shot but everything else works great, I picked up two nos compatible drives and so hopefully I'll have a basically new fz1.

• Like 2