IGNORED

Bad SID chip?

All of my cartridge/cassette games audio works perfectly, but I tried typing some of the c64 user's guides sample sound effects and songs like Micheal row the boat ashore and I don't get any sounds other than this quiet clicking sound, I tried swapping the sid chip with my other c64 with a bad pla chip and it does the same thing, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:31 PM, The Mr. Video said:

You may want to give this a try.

http://ploguechipsounds.blogspot.com/2010/05/one-page-basic-sid-benchmark.html?m=1

There's also the possibility that it's not a problem with the SID chip at all. In that case, you should try using a dead test cartridge. To see if anything else is wrong.

I typed down this program and ran it with no errors coming back to me, I'll probably order a dead test cartridge some day, thanks.

So the example program generated sound as expected? It was long ago I checked the user's guide, perhaps it in incorrect in the order to address the registers? Generally it should be ADSR first, frequency second, waveform third since it triggers the gate bit.

10 S=54272:POKE S+24,15 : REM VOLUME

15 POKE S+5,9:POKE S+6,201 : REM ADSR

20 POKE S+1,200:POKE S,100 : REM FREQUENCY

30 POKE S+4,33 : REM SAWTOOTH ON + SUSTAIN

40 POKE 198,0:WAIT 198,1 : REM WAIT FOR A KEYPRESS

50 POKE S+4,32 : REM RELEASE

If you turn on the waveform before the ADSR or frequency, I can understand if the sound misfires.

Edited by carlsson

On 3/20/2023 at 5:46 PM, carlsson said:

So the example program generated sound as expected? It was long ago I checked the user's guide, perhaps it in incorrect in the order to address the registers? Generally it should be ADSR first, frequency second, waveform third since it triggers the gate bit.

10 S=54272:POKE S+24,15 : REM VOLUME

15 POKE S+5,9:POKE S+6,201 : REM ADSR

20 POKE S+1,200:POKE S,100 : REM FREQUENCY

30 POKE S+4,33 : REM SAWTOOTH ON + SUSTAIN

40 POKE 198,0:WAIT 198,1 : REM WAIT FOR A KEYPRESS

50 POKE S+4,32 : REM RELEASE

If you turn on the waveform before the ADSR or frequency, I can understand if the sound misfires.

Yes the program sounds as expected so I am guessing I typed things in the wrong order. Thanks.

• Like 1