IGNORED

Hammer of the Gods - Atari Jaguar W.I.P.

Eternal-Krauser

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, grips03 said:

Looking good.  Hack and slash sounds feel too similar, anyway to vary it up?  Maybe put in sound for the character being hit, creature, girl, man, etc.

I agree. As someone who is a big fan of the beat ‘em up genre, sound effects mean everything. If the attack sounds are weak, they feel weak to the player at the same time.

Check out the arcade versions of Golden Axe by Sega or Knights of the Round by Capcom to understand what I mean. The attack sounds have a heavy ‘clonk’ to them.

Golden Axe Arcade:

Knights of the Round:

With that said, fantastic progress so far! Day one purchase for me!

Edited by ColecoGamer

While I certainly do understand and appreciate the effort that goes into bringing something to even this stage, this looks like a mediocre (at best) STOS game that I probably would have just passed over back in the day.

It is several universes away from SoR / Golden Axe / Knights etc comparisons...

• Confused 3

3 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

While I certainly do understand and appreciate the effort that goes into bringing something to even this stage, this looks like a mediocre (at best) STOS game that I probably would have just passed over back in the day.

It is several universes away from SoR / Golden Axe / Knights etc comparisons...

Bit harsh don’t you think? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mdkdue said:

Bit harsh don’t you think? 

No, I don't - I think that's objectively exactly how this looks and moves.  A comparison to Knights of the Round on the other hand seems like willful hyperbole.  

Mind you if this was a free release I would let's say.. be a bit kinder in comparison, but it's not.

It's a full price paid release and that's the level I'm going to judge it at.  And honestly this community (and others) have suffered by glossing over this and handing out undeserved passes, intentionally or not.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, remowilliams said:

No, I don't - I think that's objectively exactly how this looks and moves.  A comparison to Knights of the Round on the other hand seems like willful hyperbole.  

Mind you if this was a free release I would let's say.. be a bit kinder in comparison, but it's not.

It's a full price paid release and that's the level I'm going to judge it at.  And honestly this community (and others) have suffered by glossing over this and handing out undeserved passes, intentionally or not.

It is still WIP so let's not overreact. A lot of people are actually enjoying it so I am not sure who you mean is suffering by this?  

• Like 7

I like the improvements you're showing here and I like the larger enemies as they look really nice. I think you need more going on in the environment. The parallax scrolling is nice but it would be really cool to add some to character the environment. Maybe some objects in the background that you can interact with, something in the environment that makes a unique noise or reaction. Maybe something going on in the background to give the player a sense of immersion. If these are battle scenes maybe a battlefield in the distance, or a burning village. Just little details like that. Maybe spikes and trap doors that you can activate to take out multiple enemies at a time. I know the Ninja Turtles games at things like that. Realizing that at this stage those things may not be current priority, I'm hoping that things like that are on the list for later.

I have a thought related to the art too. I know you're going for a certain look but maybe there are little things you can do to make this really pop. The power up potion for the character is a nice little touch. The sound and the animation are cool. What if certain power ups do something graphically that really gets your attention? Lightning effects (or something) that have a really differentiating look so that it grabs your attention and feels really special when it happens. Or maybe just enemies that have a really nice graphical touch that stands out from the normal art style. An example would be a knight with a special armor that is rendered in a different way graphically.

• Like 6

Looking good - there's some odd glitches with the shadows around the 5:52 mark - the shadow continues to display over the section where there is no ground, and at 5:55 it looks like the character falls through this open pit.  Not trying to nit-pick, just pointing this out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alucardX said:

think you need more going on in the environment. The parallax scrolling is nice but it would be really cool to add some to character the environment. Maybe some objects in the background that you can interact with, something in the environment that makes a unique noise or reaction.

Agreed. The backgrounds are beautiful, but distinctly static. To make this suggestion more concrete, imagine if the skulls on the wall around 3:45 or so had pulsing or even just blinking red eyes. Apply little things like that 10x, and the scene starts to look more alive. Helped a lot in SF2 for example, even when they only had room for like 2 frames of animation or whatever it was. If there's bandwidth for something mildly interactive, like destructible bushes or whatever, even better.

Overall, looking great IMHO.

• Like 5