IGNORED

Season 21 Round 10 - Super Mario Bros. High/Low

asponge

This round has both a high score and a low score competition.  The high score challenge is business as usual.  Maximize your score and record it either when you're out of lives or you've completed the game.  Point pressing and burning lives for points are allowed this round.  Do not, however, collect the same 1up mushroom more than once.

The object of the low score competition is to complete the game with the lowest score possible.  Players are not required to complete every level in the game and may use warp zones to jump ahead.  The game, however, must be completed in order to post a score.

Season points will be awarded to both competitions separately so this round is essentially two in one.  If there are ties in the posted low scores, the awarded points will be added together then divided equally amongst the players.  For example, if two players have the lowest score for the round they'll take spots 1 and 2.  The points for these positions will be added together (25 + 20 = 45) and then divided between the players (45 / 2 = 23) so they'll each receive 23 points.

Finally, because this is a two for one round the deadline to post is in 4 weeks instead of the usual 2.

237329956_SuperMarioBrosCartridge.png.b8c7d1100cdf3fe2a9e3c8dff4b13d66.png 803674610_SuperMarioBrosScreenshot.png.0fe08648bc480419bfe4d028386b35a7.png

High Score Rules:

No continues
No turtle trick for extra lives.

Do not collect the same 1up mushroom more than once.

Point pressing and burning lives for points is allowed this round.

Low Score Rules:

Must complete the game to submit a score.

Warp zones are allowed.

No continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday April 16 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

882,600 by Nutsy Doodleheimer posted on 2/9/2016

High Scores as of 4/3:

agb          542,200
neogeo1982   138,150

Low Scores as of 4/3:

None

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.055ca5f8a2550d127bbbe435e0f33e02.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got a high score playthrough in today. I didn't do any deliberate point pressing even though it looks like the rules are allowing it this time. But I ended up burning lives in 8-1 anyway because I'm so rusty, lol. The first 7 worlds didn't give me much trouble but I forgot a lot of what to do in world 8.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This HSC has been stagnating for years.  It's pretty much dead at this point.  If anyone wants to pick up the torch to keep this running I'd appreciate it.  I personally don't have the time.  I hope someone picks this up and keeps it running because I'd love to stick around as a participant. Sorry guys.  It it what it is...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Hey @asponge, glad to see ya back! Thanks for hosting; it's a shame to see ya go as our mod. This was one of the first clubs I joined, and I've discovered a lot of great games through it. I was particularly impressed with your high score site, which is just so detailed and cool. I hope we continue here and will join in of course :)

• Like 1

You did great, asponge. There doesn't seem to be enough interest in the NES on this site for a high score club to endure long term which is a shame.

I very much enjoyed it while it lasted and hope that it starts back up again at some point.

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, fakecortex said:

Hey @asponge, glad to see ya back! Thanks for hosting; it's a shame to see ya go as our mod. This was one of the first clubs I joined, and I've discovered a lot of great games through it. I was particularly impressed with your high score site, which is just so detailed and cool. I hope we continue here and will join in of course :)

On 6/26/2023 at 9:56 AM, mbd39 said:

You did great, asponge. There doesn't seem to be enough interest in the NES on this site for a high score club to endure long term which is a shame.

I very much enjoyed it while it lasted and hope that it starts back up again at some point.

Agree with this - thanks @asponge - the high score site is especially impressive.

• Like 1