IGNORED

Heavy sixer with broken game select switch.

bradhig1

Remove the cover and squirt some plastic-safe contact cleaner into the switch. Second try would be to disassemble the switch (beware of a spring flying away) and clean and maybe slightly bend the contacts. Might as well put contact cleaner on the other switches while you have it open.

Try spraying some contact cleaner on the color adjuster dial. It's a small circular plastic piece. If I recall, the 2600 version has a slot in the center for a small screwdriver to turn. I would recommend spraying it while off, then turn it on with a game that you know the colors of and turn it back and forth a few times to work in the cleaner and then adjust for proper color. If this is the right board, it's in the lower left corner:

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/Atari-2600/atari-2600-6-switch-woody-rev-a-1978-sunnyvale/Atari-6-Switch-Woody-Sunnyvale-CA-Standard-009-Motherboard.JPG

Edited by Havok69

21 minutes ago, Havok69 said:

Try spraying some contact cleaner on the color adjuster dial. It's a small circular plastic piece. If I recall, the 2600 version has a slot in the center for a small screwdriver to turn. I would recommend spraying it while off, then turn it on with a game that you know the colors of and turn it back and forth a few times to work in the cleaner and then adjust for proper color. If this is the right board, it's in the lower left corner:

http://www.the-liberator.net/site-files/retro-games/hardware/Atari-2600/atari-2600-6-switch-woody-rev-a-1978-sunnyvale/Atari-6-Switch-Woody-Sunnyvale-CA-Standard-009-Motherboard.JPG

What is that red shaft for?  I know there is a red tool to adjust it but I don't have one

13 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

What is that red shaft for?  I know there is a red tool to adjust it but I don't have one

Its purpose is to adjust the centre frequency of the output TV channel.  It's not likely to resolve the problem your unit is having, but if you really want to see what it does, use a plastic - not metal - tool to turn it, and do so very gently.

13 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

That is specifically to adjust the audio and help tune it in with the video. Normally you shouldn' have to mess with it unless you replace the polycaps for the audio. In those cases, replacing the caps might require a small adjustment for it.

As for the switches, what I do is use good contact cleaner with the board outside or in my garage and spray the crap outta the switches. I then work them back and forth many times. I then spray them again and do it again. Afterwards and once the contact cleaner has dried out of the switches. I then apply a little bit of dielectric grease to each so help the switches glide better, and also to help prevent corrosion on the switch contacts going forward. 

However, in some cases the switches might be in such bad shape that I might have to take the switch apart to clean and reform the contacts inside them. But yes, the reset and select switches have springs that will get away from you if you aren't very careful when taking the switch apart. They aren't much fun to try and put back into place either when reassembling. Luckily the contact cleaner and grease is enough for me in most cases.

11 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

That color pot is acting up again.  First I couldn't get a picture until I opened up the system and touched the pot with a screwdriver.  Then colors flickered again after I put the system back together believing it to be fixed.  

Those trimmers over time with age, the dial wheel will start to warp and cause intermittent connection causing this and of course they can wear out internally as well. Only thing that can really be done is to replace it out with something similar.