IGNORED

Those with TT Ram - What Apps or Games do you have that use that TT Ram?

Just curious for those with TT030 and have some TT Ram, what apps or games are you using that utilize that memory?

I see the stock Atari TT Ram board can use 4MB to 16MB, and these newer devices like Storm with TONS of memory, but what have you all found that could use and needed this extra memory.

Just curious.

TJ

I've always wondered that.  Pretty sure MiNT can set stuff to use the 32bit fast RAM.  I'm not sure how it decides which should be using that chunk or not though.  Seems the Falcon is in the same boat, if you have a CT60e, you'll have up to 512mb of fast ram with up to 14mb of ST RAM.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how TOS knows, but I think it's something in the Control Panel or DESKTOP.INF or something like that. I can't remember. I do know if you use an alternative desktop like Neodesk, there is a radio button in one of the configuration windows (not sure where) where you tell NeoDesk to load X.PRG in TT RAM instead of ST RAM. Of course, the program has to be a cleanly written GEM program to take advantage of this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, atarian1 said:

I'm not sure how TOS knows, but I think it's something in the Control Panel or DESKTOP.INF or something like that. I can't remember. I do know if you use an alternative desktop like Neodesk, there is a radio button in one of the configuration windows (not sure where) where you tell NeoDesk to load X.PRG in TT RAM instead of ST RAM. Of course, the program has to be a cleanly written GEM program to take advantage of this.

I see you are in NorCal.  Where abouts?  I am about 1 hour from Sacramento.

Wish there was an Atari group around here.  Sac has a great Amiga club but no Atari that I know of.

TJ

TOS is located in ROM. So that's that. Then you have various apps which may or may not be TT RAM compatible. You can control their TT RAM behaviour by the PRG flags and yes, usually it's controlled via a CPX or a command line tool. That way you can tell whether it should:

- load into ST RAM and allocate from ST RAM

- load into ST RAM but allocate memory from TT RAM

- load into TT RAM but allocate memory from ST RAM

- load into TT RAM and allocate from TT RAM

The biggest issue usually is that app authors use the bss segment's space as video/audio buffers (which must be in ST RAM) and/or they call simple Malloc(amount) insteam of MxAlloc(amount, ST/TT RAM).

So the optimistic answer is that any game/app can take advantage from TT RAM, the pessimistic answer is that unless officially supported, it's up to you to find out.

Edited by mikro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikro said:

TOS is located in ROM. So that's that. Then you have various apps which may or may not be TT RAM compatible. You can control their TT RAM behaviour by the PRG flags and yes, usually it's controlled via a CPX or a command line tool. That way you can tell whether it should:

- load into ST RAM and allocate from ST RAM

- load into ST RAM but allocate memory from TT RAM

- load into TT RAM but allocate memory from ST RAM

- load into TT RAM and allocate from TT RAM

The biggest issue usually is that app authors use the bss segment's space as video/audio buffers (which must be in ST RAM) and/or they call simple Malloc(amount) insteam of MxAlloc(amount, ST/TT RAM).

So the optimistic answer is that any game/app can take advantage from TT RAM, the pessimistic answer is that unless officially supported, it's up to you to find out.

Many years ago I was offered a 'free' Mega ST.  Only, I had to figure out how to get this guy's spreadsheet off of it and onto a PC.  It kept running out of memory, trying to copy it.  So I brang along my TT, which at the time had 2mb of ST ram and 4mb of TT.  Sti couldn't figure out how to get that data off, so never did get the Mega ST from him.  But at the time I couldn't figure out how to utilize that TT RAM, as that would have worked so that I could get data from an ACSI to a SCSI drive.  (Memory is a bit fuzzy, but pretty sure that was what I was trying at the time.)

15 hours ago, AtariSociety said:

I see you are in NorCal.  Where abouts?  I am about 1 hour from Sacramento.

Wish there was an Atari group around here.  Sac has a great Amiga club but no Atari that I know of.

TJ

SF Bay Area.

I haven't gotten around to the SLCC Zoom meetings yet as I'm very busy right now. Hopefully one day when things calm down.