IGNORED

Chess Replayer for PET

I've created a little program that runs on a Commodore PET that will replay game(s) of chess provided to it in a data file.  It's something I like to have running in my office on my PET 2001.

chessr1.thumb.png.897d1475bb153d0908511d20796fc00b.png

This is what the initial chessboard looks like.  Below is a video of a game in progress.

image.thumb.jpeg.6af17f205a16319c2e3e0b808a88ad17.jpeg

Here's a snapshot of it running my my physical PET.

The current version is 2.0.  The main change from v1 is that now the program reads the data file from disk one game at a time.  This should mean the previous limitation on how big the data set can be is lifted.  The only limitation now should be the size of a disk file.

There is a utility given with the program to allow you to encode your own chess PGN files yourself.

chessreplay_v2.zip

---- older releases ----

chessreplay_v1.zip

• Like 2

Why does the chess file need to be loaded into memory?  Can't you just open the file for reading and just read data until a CR or LF and then process the single move? That way, files up to the size of the drive in use (8050/8250/sfd1001/X040)

Jim

Edited by brain

43 minutes ago, brain said:

Why does the chess file need to be loaded into memory?  Can't you just open the file for reading and just read data until a CR or LF and then process the single move? That way, files up to the size of the drive in use (8050/8250/sfd1001/X040)

Jim

Yep, I'd love to do that in a future version.  I never found a recipe for reading from a file on a PET in assembly that I could reproduce when I was working on coding this up.

2 hours ago, Rick Reynolds said:

Yep, I'd love to do that in a future version.  I never found a recipe for reading from a file on a PET in assembly that I could reproduce when I was working on coding this up.

Actually, I did find an article about executing BASIC commands from assembly.  I'll probably attempt a work-up using that technique to see if I can pull the data one game at a time instead of all at once.

• 2 weeks later...