IGNORED

Are youtubers and gaming companies conspiring against us?

Just now, zzip said:

Then the next problem is who decides the who the supreme noblemen are and who do they serve?   In the case of radio,  technology has moved on and made it so radio aren't the gatekeepers they once were.  TikTok, Spotify or some TV show are more likely to make the next hit.

How about potential supreme noblemen can make their case and if they have a following they can get territory to do their thing without being harassed or persecuted?

Just now, zzip said:

I think we used to do a better job overall at it than we do now (or at least they hid the shady nonsense better)

Bring it back!

Ideally,  you can find a reviewer you trust...Or watch a longplay video if that's your thing,  then buy the game and make up your own mind.  I, Personally, only want to know the bare minimum about a game I want to buy,  (i.e., System it's for, graphics (a screenshot or 3), and what type of game it is),  because I like the joy of discovery that comes with a new game and I don't want it ruined by watching someone else play it...

I always make up my own mind! 

...And separately I wouldn't trust radio to play "The Best" song on an album because they almost Never have in the past!....This is the problem with Major Labels and "Hit Radio" format.  Even though "Creeping Death" is right there,  You're getting "Enter sandman" A G A I N .   You won't hear "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" or "Children of the Grave", because they need to play "Paranoid" again...People are idiots and radio encourages this.  We used to talk in the music store about how bar bands always hear someone out there yelling "Play some Skynyrd!";  The funniest thing being some bands would play some Skynyrd songs,  and people didn't recognize any of them except for "Sweet Home Alabama"  (or maybe "Freebird").   How many "One Hit Wonders" had other songs that were good?  (Speaking of the Past here),  If you relied on radio you would never know the answer to that question (College Radio excluded, of course, and yes in bigger markets there were radio stations that could be good and might actually play a song other than "The Hit" they were given to play),...  but even now, there's a ton of satellite playlists that are never going to surprise anyone, ever,...except when they get stuck and play the same playlist 3 times in 3 hours or the same song over and over again LOL.  Nowadays of course it's not the same because you don't have to buy the whole album to hear it.  You can stream music, look it up on YouTube,  or find internet, or Sirius/XM type satellite radio stations with expanded playlists...

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

...And separately I wouldn't trust radio to play "The Best" song on an album because they almost Never have in the past!....This is the problem with Major Labels and "Hit Radio" format. 

The labels pick the singles and many times they were the best or only good songs on an album.   The band and producer worked hard to get the singles right and everything else on the album might be average

But there are times when there's a killer song on an album that never got picked as a single.  But that's cool too because radio won't play it to death and wear it out :)

• Like 3

On 3/28/2023 at 4:31 PM, Creamhoven said:

This is outragous! It is mindgames, commercial terrorism! Please, I hope there will be order brought to this. Especially children are impressionable and stuff like this is preying on them, too.

Agreed. I'm not into cloud gaming, with reason. And I'm not a fan of this style of handheld either. The OS/UIX is always a little weird on most of these. And there's all this account creation bullshit. That and many other limitations.

Seems like a new one (of these things) comes out every month. Do we actually need all this stuff? Absolutely not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Creamhoven said:

I am so angry. Why cant we have free and fair market?!

I suppose we can. Just be picky and choosy about what you buy. Ignoring the rest should make it go away or have a short shelf life.

I get that we need random stuff thrown out there. To see what shit sticks on the proverbial wall. But it doesn't mean we have to instabuy it all. Give it time to settle. Not all that different from the 1970's when videogames were an experimental artform.

Perhaps it was that experimental wild-west aura that makes them so endearing today. Because, today, everything is following an overtweaked and micromanaged plan - to get as much shit into the consumer's hands as possible without regard for quality or uniqueness.

2 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I suppose we can. Just be picky and choosy about what you buy. Ignoring the rest should make it go away or have a short shelf life.

I get that we need random stuff thrown out there. To see what shit sticks on the proverbial wall. But it doesn't mean we have to instabuy it all. Give it time to settle. Not all that different from the 1970's when videogames were an experimental artform.

Perhaps it was that experimental wild-west aura that makes them so endearing today. Because, today, everything is following an overtweaked and micromanaged plan - to get as much shit into the consumer's hands as possible without regard for quality or uniqueness.

You are correct. Im going to stick to classic gaming. There is noone making fake reviews about the dreamcast.

t3j54r0ls3r71.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Creamhoven said:

You are correct. Im going to stick to classic gaming.

Most all my gaming ranges from the first Magnavox Odyssey up through the original XBOX and PS1. And up to mid 2000's PC gaming. Soon I'll expand to PS2 once I get some stuff organized. Most all of it is conducted through the magic of emulation.

Occasionally I check in on modern stuff, but I don't spend money on it.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:11 PM, Creamhoven said:

today I want to open a discussion about a very unfortunate occurance. By random chance I came across multiple videos of youtubers talking about the issue of youtubers getting paid fees for making reviews, without informing the audience about this.

This is how many of the big PC enthusiast channels operate. Some are upfront about what they do, most are not. The more bling, RGG, and graphics cards shown, the more likely it's a paid-for vid. A one Carey Holzman is a big crusader against all that nonsense. Runs about the slowest-moving channel possible!

31 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Most all my gaming ranges from the first Magnavox Odyssey up through the original XBOX and PS1. And up to mid 2000's PC gaming. Soon I'll expand to PS2 once I get some stuff organized. Most all of it is conducted through the magic of emulation.

Occasionally I check in on modern stuff, but I don't spend money on it.

A sign of exquisite taste!

29 minutes ago, Keatah said:

This is how many of the big PC enthusiast channels operate. Some are upfront about what they do,

Thats okay

most are not.

That is not okay. In fact it is horrible!

The more bling, RGG, and graphics cards shown, the more likely it's a paid-for vid. A one Carey Holzman is a big crusader against all that nonsense. Runs about the slowest-moving channel possible!

Good to know. I will check it out.

• Thanks 1