IGNORED

APX Recipe Search 'N Save and Supersort

DjayBee

@SoulBuster recently dumped Recipe Search 'N Save which I am currently analyzing.

I am puzzled by the fact that v1.0 of the program comes with the source of APX's Supersort but neither contains a USR-call to 7434 (Supersort's entry point), nor is Supersort mentioned in Recipe Search 'N Save's manual.

Even more puzzling is the fact that the current dump of v1.0 in a8preservation's torrent contains only the source code but no binary, whereas Soulbuster's dump contains the AUTORUN.SYS as well. (Furthermore the torrent's disk hides the main program in a hidden directory at sector 358 which neither Soulbuster's dump, nor v1.1 do.)

Having the source code on the disk when the main porgram is obfuscated and therefore could not even be extended or patched to use the sorting routine, makes no sense at all.

Perhaps somebody @here has any insight in this. (just hoping...)

Btw.: The next release v1.1 does not contain anything Supersort-related anymore.

Soulbuster's dump: Recipe Search 'N Save (1982)(APX)(US)[disk].atr

a8preservation's dumps: Recipe Search 'N Save v1.0 (1982)(APX)(US)[BASIC].atr Recipe Search 'N Save v1.1 (1982)(APX)(US)[BASIC].atr

Edited by DjayBee
added ATRs
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2023 at 5:17 AM, DjayBee said:

@SoulBuster recently dumped Recipe Search 'N Save which I am currently analyzing.

I am puzzled by the fact that v1.0 of the program comes with the source of APX's Supersort but neither contains a USR-call to 7434 (Supersort's entry point), nor is Supersort mentioned in Recipe Search 'N Save's manual.

Even more puzzling is the fact that the current dump of v1.0 in a8preservation's torrent contains only the source code but no binary, whereas Soulbuster's dump contains the AUTORUN.SYS as well. (Furthermore the torrent's disk hides the main program in a hidden directory at sector 358 which neither Soulbuster's dump, nor v1.1 do.)

Having the source code on the disk when the main porgram is obfuscated and therefore could not even be extended or patched to use the sorting routine, makes no sense at all.

Perhaps somebody @here has any insight in this. (just hoping...)

Btw.: The next release v1.1 does not contain anything Supersort-related anymore.

Soulbuster's dump: Recipe Search 'N Save (1982)(APX)(US)[disk].atr

a8preservation's dumps: Recipe Search 'N Save v1.0 (1982)(APX)(US)[BASIC].atr Recipe Search 'N Save v1.1 (1982)(APX)(US)[BASIC].atr

Here's the .atr for version 1.0. I also discovered that version 1.0 can read data created with the later version 1.1, but version 1.1 can't read data created with version 1.0

John

Recipe Search'n Save 1.0.atr

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1