IGNORED

It’s actually AMEZING that the wii won the 7th gen war

johannesmutlu

I consider it actually AMEZING that the Nintendo wii won the 7th generation console war because,

1,it was the last 7th gen console released,sony and microsoft went ahead with their xbox 360 by 1 year and the playstation 3 by 8 day’s,

2,the wii turns out to be NOT the first game console with wireless motion sensitive controllers,nope as it turns out the PS3 is the first game console with wireless motion sensitive controllers thanks it’s sixaxis feature,and whether that feature was rarely used or not, whether that sixaxis feature was an aftertout or not and whther it was the most HATED feature or not,i don’t care,in my opinion sony should be absolutely proud to ahead of nintendo with such features builtin,(am not counting the motion sensitive wired sega samba controller or the wireless xbox 360 controllers albeit still innovative).

3,i remember all the runers and the hype about the PS3 back in 2004,waaay before nintendo announced the wii in early 2006,so it’s fair to expect that the PS3 should,ve supposedly sold more then the wii,

4,the PS3 had also multimedia features including blue ray,dvd,CD and super audio CD support and it was also backwards compatible with ps1 and ps2 games,so it makes me wonder why most consumers didn’t realize that they could have a $699 system with sooo many systems builtin rather then buying those systems saperately wich would costed them over $3000,because back then blue ray player and super audio CD players were extraordinary expensive,but somehow most general consumers just weren’t interested in having such all in 1 device for $699.

Yeah the wii and it’s games were TOTALLY designed with wireless motion sensitivity in mind and people (especially beginners) just did loved it,in fact the wii did opened the door for casual gamers to get more into gaming and getting used to it,but whether the wii did won the 7th gen war with selling approximately 20 million more units the the PS3 and xbox 360 did or not,wii should NEVER forget that the wii was NOT so innovatve as we tout earlier on because the ps3 with it’s sixaxis feature predates the wii by 8 day’s,

BUT it is funny to know that despite sony did came first with a wireless motion sensitive controller (eventrough it’s main focus was just for general gaming with buttons) everybody just probably hated the sixaxis feature whereas once nintendo did cane along with their wii with wireless motion controllers,people just loved it,and that’s why i consider it lucky for nintendo that they did won the 7th gen war

AA1EA1E4-424F-43C7-8BEC-1FF538E15EF4.jpeg

On 3/25/2023 at 9:46 PM, roots.genoa said:

Maybe you should consider the price difference between the two. Just sayin'. 🙂

Edit: also the best part of the Wii controller imho is the IR sensor, and PS3's controller doesn't have that.

Well that’s true,the ps3 was waaaay more expensive then the wii,and i also can’t denie that once the wii became a huge success,sony decided to come up with their ps3 move controllers with fully swing motion in mind while microsoft did came up with their cinnect system with fully body motion in mind,all in an attempt to take advantage of that motion hype craze of thr wii,BUT it still doesn’t change the fact that the wii is not the first console with wireless motion sensitive controllers,the ps3 with it’s sixaxis feature beated the wii by 8 day’s and that’s what’s matters to me so haha😁

The attach rate on the Wii was poor (the number of people who continue to use and buy new software for a device).

so even if it sold the most, owning one didn't feel like a winning system when you kept seeing most new games come to PS3/XB360 and skip the Wii completely

• Like 3

12 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Well that’s true,the ps3 was waaaay more expensive then the wii,and i also can’t denie that once the wii became a huge success,sony decided to come up with their ps3 move controllers with fully swing motion in mind while microsoft did came up with their cinnect system with fully body motion in mind,all in an attempt to take advantage of that motion hype craze of thr wii,BUT it still doesn’t change the fact that the wii is not the first console with wireless motion sensitive controllers,the ps3 with it’s sixaxis feature beated the wii by 8 day’s and that’s what’s matters to me so haha😁

I get it but what we are trying to explain is your obsession with "were they the first to do X?" is not very relevant. Video game companies rarely invent anything; at best they use an existing technology in a more original way (like the Game & Watch games that used LCD screens from calculators to create games). So you'll always be able to find someone that did X before Nintendo, even though Nintendo is often the company that made it successful. That being said, you claimed the NES was not the first 3rd generation console, which is a little puzzling to me (but "generations" is a vague concept to begin with).

• Like 2

Hello @johannesmutlu,

it is a bit hard to follow your train of thougt but I am going to try my best adressing your concern. I see your point, that the Wii was the unlikely winner of this generation. They did try something rather unconventional. Yes the PS3 had the six-axis controller, it was, however, primarily just a slight variation of the PS2 controller. The Six-Axis motion controller was treated more as a gimmick, while nintendo had serious dedication to the concept. I would push against the idea that nintendos success was down to luck. The design of Wii Sports and such titles was revolutionary. Even though most look back on this era of motion controls as rather primitive and underdeveloped, it sparked the immagination and seemed quite innovative back then. Nintendo took a big risk, they dedicated themselves to this type of design and it paid off. So I disagree with it being a matter of luck, it was a gamble yes, but they put alot into this concept and that ultimativly made it such a success.

Edited by Creamhoven
  • Like 2

The Wii was a success in terms of getting people to play games who either used to or never did; particularly in the casual market. Wii Bowling, in its own little way, is one of the greatest games ever made. It's timeless and I would not be surprised if people still play it when the family is together. Of course it has since been upgraded in subsequent iterations but the basic game is still highly playable.

The ideas enshrined in Wii were highly innovative and influential. I don't think gaming avatars have been more amusing or charming since the Wii. Their integration into some games only added to the amusement. Spotting friends and relations track side in MK-Wii was as amusing as it was pointless - but it's the silly little things like that that often bring the most joy.

It hosted some superb games too. Mario Galaxy - an enormous toybox of ideas, Wii Sports Resort perfected the  original Wii Sports idea and we won't ever see its like again. 

Too many right it off as a waggle mini game console which simply isn't accurate. When it comes to its better motion track control games, there isn't another console to match it. Kororinpa, Boom Blox, Bit.Trip Complete, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, Let's Tap, Trauma Centre, WarioWare, Wing Island and the motionplus Tiger Woods and Grand Slam Tennis games are all excellent. But setting those aside,  it has a excellent library of games with traditional control schemes for the discerning collector to put together. Tatsunoko v Capcom, Geometry Wars Galaxies,Contra/Gradius/Castlevania Rebirth and Muramasa:Demon Blade are just some examples. And the classic pro controller for Wii is a wonderful responsive pad.

It has also hybrid games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Wario Land Shake It and New SMB Wii which are still really entertaining games.

It also presented a new "3rd way" of playing FPS games - between traditional twin stick and keyboard/mouse schemes - and if the Wii had had more power then its FPS game experience using the pointer to aim/look and the nunchuck to move just might have been superior to the twin stick method.

And as great as the 360 and PS3 are (I consider the 360 as being damn close to being the greatest console ever) they don't hold a candle to the Wii for local/same room multi-player.

It's a great little console to collect for and easy to hack to access its thriving homebrew content. What's not to like?  As to it "winning" a generation? What does that even mean? And who cares ? I won having access to it and the 360 at the same time. :)

Oh...and you can play the proper version of Super Monkey Ball on it thanks to its BC with Gamecube. 

And Melee

And F-Zero GX (in 480p).

Edited by davyK
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Also i forgot to mention that

Nintendo was clearly cloning philips technology by not only coming with a wii mote controller wich also uses the same motion sensor bar system as that from philips CDI peace keep lightgun,but they also mimmicked a lightgun by using an accessoire for it to fake it to be a lightgun,

Now why did philips settled a case against nintendo 7,5 years later after the wii  launch,why not just earlier is beyond me??? But my suspicious is that once nintendo also used an accessoire to turn that wii mote into a fake lightgun but also because of the success of the wii,unlike the ill fated CDI🥲

yeat philips came up with it,BUT Nintendo just reinvented the wheel about the motion sensor bar 14 years later from philips peace keeper lightgun to use it for their motion controller and it worked,NINTENDO just won the 7th gen war while philips just the 4th gen war🥲

but both nintendo and philips did closed the case under an agreenment between the 2 companies🤣

CEA3EB29-F571-414D-961B-9464D29EA2F3.jpeg

On 4/20/2023 at 2:38 PM, johannesmutlu said:

Also i forgot to mention that

Nintendo was clearly cloning philips technology by not only coming with a wii mote controller wich also uses the same motion sensor bar system as that from philips CDI peace keep lightgun,but they also mimmicked a lightgun by using an accessoire for it to fake it to be a lightgun,

Now why did philips settled a case against nintendo 7,5 years later after the wii  launch,why not just earlier is beyond me??? But my suspicious is that once nintendo also used an accessoire to turn that wii mote into a fake lightgun but also because of the success of the wii,unlike the ill fated CDI🥲

yeat philips came up with it,BUT Nintendo just reinvented the wheel about the motion sensor bar 14 years later from philips peace keeper lightgun to use it for their motion controller and it worked,NINTENDO just won the 7th gen war while philips just the 4th gen war🥲

but both nintendo and philips did closed the case under an agreenment between the 2 companies🤣

CEA3EB29-F571-414D-961B-9464D29EA2F3.jpeg

Johannes, if you'd please excuse me for a question, but I've got to know. Are you per chance something that one may call a troll? I hope I didnt offend. Take care!

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...