IGNORED

Wii u undeservibly failed because it was a great innovative systemsystem

johannesmutlu

While the wii u underservibly failed compared to the wii,it was actually a pretty innovative system wasn’t it???
Well not 100% as in 2011 the ps3 could be already connected to a psp,psvita (and in theory to a tablet or smartphone) to play games or watch movies etc,, from your ps3 online on it everywere🙏
altrough those were NOT official addons or controllers for the ps3 (sony could,ve came up with a special tablet for the ps3 instead) BUT since both psp and psvita could be officially connected to your ps3 in 2011 trough an online connection,we can say that sony’s concept does predates nintendo’s idea from using a tabled to play wii u games on tv or everywhere else athome with the wii u tablet,and while you could play ps3 games trough an online connection on your psp or psvita etc,,,everywere else but you could just decide to play those games athome on those handhelds while somebody else’s watching tv,but i guess that nintendo just perfected that concept by designing that wii u tablet specefically for the wii u to play athome,sure you might could use a wifi or blue touch extender to extends it range or send that wifi or blue touch data online along with an online transmitter reciever sothat you might could also play wii u games far away from your house but whether that will be practical enough or not might be questionable,but either way,that concept turn out to not be that new as i first did tout but still,,,

6E1BF9C9-F7FE-4AB1-8EBC-1473E71D4E94.jpeg

• Sad 1

Wow more insanity.

I don't know exactly why I feel compelled to write this, but here it goes.  Some here maybe aware that I for at time (GC/GBA/early DS) era worked in the industry in one fashion or the other, have family though that to this date still does.  That out of the way, needless to say when you're up the food chain enough in that world people talk, you make friends and contacts that hop around companies and stay in contact, it's all about networking.  I personally only wish I had not been kept in the dark about it, maybe it was their hopeful wishing the Nintendo fanboy/girl base would pull it out enough despite how it unfolded with the WiiU, but the simple truth of the matter is very simple.

The WiiU was destined to die a slow painful death before the first day it hit retail.

Going back a couple years I guess it was, given how well the Wii performed enough of the heavies of the third party world wanted to try and move more to that unified platform of where easy ports, cross engine compatibility, homogenous performance of hardware we see now with the PS4/5 generation where it all just goes between them and PC(Steam) very easily.  Third parties came individually with a spec wish list to keep this simple to MS, Sony, and even Nintendo.  MS and Sony got on board, it's why the PS3 despite its tech largely on ports had cross compatible stuff with 360 and PC and why the generation after was even more so.  What did Nintendo do though?  Simple.  Since the Wii hung on they got into this weird area of being part into a generation and had been cooking up the WiiU sequel, and they were very adamant as always about: personal control, a niche design since Wii-mote did so well for them, and having a system to stay on a retail budget MSRP cap.  They rolled a LOT into the limited distance wireless setup and costly controller table of the WiiU.  As such the hardware while HDMI had to re-use the guts of the GC and Wii, a third generation update once more to dramatically cut costs.  SO what did Nintendo do?  They told third parties in a now Sony level (I'm tlaking Kutaragi level) of sheer arrogance told them to pound sand.  They said, NO, this is our hardware, we're bringing this out, and we will not scrap this design.  You saw the Wii, you can support us or not.

And well, they didn't like that, clearly.  When the WiiU arrived the cracks were publicly there yet not so clear that first season it existed.  The cracks being some studios not releasing anything out of the gate.  Some would go on to release copies of games that were a year to years old like Ninja Gaiden.  Other game would be slapped together and not properly finished for bugs and as such had weird graphics glitches, chugging frame rates, system instabilities such as the crap performance seen in Assassins Creed.  Going beyond the holiday things got more messed up, projects delayed, snarky comments in the gaming press from developers about poor performance, and utter outright developer sabotage (like selling Mass Effect 3 on WiiU for $60, and ME Trilogy on the other two for $50...$10 less!.)  It was one kick in the teeth after another, then you'd get promises if buyers would do this and change our minds...it ended up being more lies than not.  There was a semi-strong series of second generation games, but they were plagued with low distribution and more bugs like Need for Speed.  And then the cancelations started to set in and grossly long delays (Devils Third among others.)

By the time the third year of WiiU was in swing, most third parties grew bored of trying to goose the gamers who shied on them, largely laid off the shit talking, and basically just ignored it.  For nearly 1/2 the systems life, comedy observing real life, the WiiU became a launch game itself, a ZombiU.  It was a dead system living on as the undead with nothing to care much about unless Nintendo largely pumped it out or a second party.  Mario Kart 8 aside it was roached at that rate.

The WiiU was neither innovative or well designed, it was crappily assembled by design, crappily screwed by arrogance, and largely outside of 1st/2nd party games didn't have a good reason at all to ever own it...other than hacking it for warez/homebrew largely once it was a dead system and Switch arrived.  Even Nintendo couldn't get their shit together for the first couple years when the GUI was so obscenely lagging you could sit and enter/exit the system setup and set a 30second timer to that.  That is in NO way acceptable.  None of what Nintendo and equally so third parties did to that system.  Nintendo shouldn't have been all douchy and released better hardware without the boat anchor of a controller from hell and if they wanted to keep the wiggling alive packed in a Wiimote/chuk and sensor with it as they'd have been far better off.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Don't forget Splatoon.

Fair enough, I forget it exists as a franchise unless I see one of the manga on the shelf at the book store up the street or some new system color pops up.  I never ever enjoyed competitive FPS games and that one basically is cutesy Team Fortress.

Either way there was that, Pikmin 3 around that same time, and also the horribly botched Star Fox/Guard package.  I don't think splatoon 1 was reissued like everything else outside of Starfox from that crap system.  I really really wish they would re-issue that game as you can remove the touch controls for the pick up mechanics it had, it would be to the games improvement not having to use janky detached from fun and reality gimmick play.

All the other stand up unique games basically came out on another format aside from Devil's Third, even ZombiU got a PC etc release.

To be very fair to the Dutch, they have an incomprehencible language.

And continuing with consumables, you can make your own dutch language simulator by placing mayonese, one hot potato and one live frog to your mouth cavity. Results may vary depending on species of frog. I have found that the cuban tree frog makes for the best hrrrglllnneyy, while the Paedophryne amauensis produces a more subtler klaaagnnn. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Wayler said:

To be very fair to the Dutch, they have an incomprehencible language.

That is probably why the King's brother killed him and married his wife and how the Prince is haunted by his father's ghost and why his girlfriend went mad and killed herself and everyone ends up dead.

Edited by Master Phruby

On a totally unrelated (but far more interesting) topic, the film The Northman is pretty much a retelling of Hamlet, but set during the Viking age, and is far more accurate in its depiction of the people of that era than any other film I've seen. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

On a totally unrelated (but far more interesting) topic, the film The Northman is pretty much a retelling of Hamlet, but set during the Viking age, and is far more accurate in its depiction of the people of that era than any other film I've seen. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

That doesn't surprise me coming from the director of The Witch, even though I was under the impression that The Northman was less realistic (by choice). I wanted to watch it in theaters and now I'm waiting for it to be available on streaming services. It's just a question of weeks, now.

9 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

That doesn't surprise me coming from the director of The Witch, even though I was under the impression that The Northman was less realistic (by choice). I wanted to watch it in theaters and now I'm waiting for it to be available on streaming services. It's just a question of weeks, now.

Less realistic, yes, in the sense that there are more supernatural elements. But these tie in closely with Norse mythology, so such a diversion from realism more or less depicts the beliefs of the people rather than rooting it in factual depictions of actions. The historical accuracy that I'm referring to has to do with how culture is depicted in the film.

• Like 1

Oh I see very well what you mean, it's also the way Vikings was made, with several (slight) supernatural elements (ghosts, people who know when their father dies even though they're hundreds of miles from him, etc.). To be honest it slightly bothers me, because I find hypocritical to make as if old beliefs were right while current beliefs aren't. Choose a lane. 🙂

On 3/25/2023 at 6:00 PM, johannesmutlu said:

While the wii u underservibly failed compared to the wii,it was actually a pretty innovative system wasn’t it???

It was.

Well not 100% as in 2011 the ps3 could be already connected to a psp,psvita (and in theory to a tablet or smartphone) to play games or watch movies etc,, from your ps3 online on it everywere🙏

Yes, and the GBA can be used on your gamecube for an external screen, but the implementation of the Wii U was more practical.

altrough those were NOT official addons or controllers for the ps3 (sony could,ve came up with a special tablet for the ps3 instead) BUT since both psp and psvita could be officially connected to your ps3 in 2011 trough an online connection,we can say that sony’s concept does predates nintendo’s idea from using a tabled to play wii u games on tv or everywhere else athome with the wii u tablet,and while you could play ps3 games trough an online connection on your psp or psvita etc,,,everywere else but you could just decide to play those games athome on those handhelds while somebody else’s watching tv,but i guess that nintendo just perfected that concept by designing that wii u tablet specefically for the wii u to play athome

I agree.

,sure you might could use a wifi or blue touch extender to extends it range or send that wifi or blue touch data online along with an online transmitter reciever sothat you might could also play wii u games far away from your house but whether that will be practical enough or not might be questionable,but either way,that concept turn out to not be that new as i first did tout but still,,,

6E1BF9C9-F7FE-4AB1-8EBC-1473E71D4E94.jpeg

Yes. It's more about the focus on the concept that the Wii U had. It unfortunatly failed, but you have to applaud them for having tried something fresh, since earlier implementations were not streamlined.

On 3/27/2023 at 3:06 PM, Master Phruby said:

That is probably why the King's brother killed him and married his wife and how the Prince is haunted by his father's ghost and why his girlfriend went mad and killed herself and everyone ends up dead.

I didn't see the part you quoted and though you meant the Wii U failure caused this series of events.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

It was.

Yes, and the GBA can be used on your gamecube for an external screen, but the implementation of the Wii U was more practical.

I agree.

Yes. It's more about the focus on the concept that the Wii U had. It unfortunatly failed, but you have to applaud them for having tried something fresh, since earlier implementations were not streamlined.

True that,the gba could be used as a second screen for the nintendo gamecube,but i wonder were those systems actually designed with such feature in mind? Because to me it just feels more like an aftertout feature wich was also rarely used or only used in limited way’s,mmmm.

another thing is that the gba is an independend handheld with an optional download play featurei,

as far as i do know the wii u tablet was never designed as an optional standalone handheld in mind despite it does contain many amezing features builtin,altrough that wii u tablet does put the old gba into shame consodering it’s features,i can sometimes hardly believe that it does serve as a controller for the wii u,but it’s amezing that sony took more attention to it with their ps3 online remote play service for psp ,the psvita sony xperia smartphones and tablets and whether that feature was an aftertout or not,that remote play feature was something really ahead for it’s time back in 2010,2 years before nintendo did came up with such similar wireless feature for the wii albeit athome,but still the concept was there to be taken more serious.

• Like 1