IGNORED

Wii u undeservibly failed because it was a great innovative systemsystem

johannesmutlu

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

I still don’t quite understand what it is that you are having a problem with. So the controller has a screen. I can see someone considering it weird at first glance, but I find it odd that someone who has never used one feels such a passionate revulsion towards it that it prevents him from buying the system.

I could make some points to explain why I don't like it, but I think the most obvious point I can make is that I'm not the only one who feels this way... because the fact is that it failed miserably. So we can point to me and be like, so dumb... never used it, doesn't know what he's talking about (I know you're not saying it like that, but you know what I mean), but in the end, a whole lot of people felt that way.

I really enjoyed the Wii, specifically for the games that I can play with family. I don't understand the point of the big controller. Half the games I play on the Wii are like the sports games, etc... the ones that require you to swing and move the controller. Am I going to swing around something the size of an Atari Lynx in order to move my guy around? I see the WiiU as a newer version of the Wii... better graphics, faster, and backwards compatible. Had they sold it as such, without this nonsense controller... it would have been fantastic and sold really well.

Had they even sold the WiiU with that controller as an option, it would have been great too.

5 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

I could make some points to explain why I don't like it, but I think the most obvious point I can make is that I'm not the only one who feels this way... because the fact is that it failed miserably. So we can point to me and be like, so dumb... never used it, doesn't know what he's talking about (I know you're not saying it like that, but you know what I mean), but in the end, a whole lot of people felt that way.

I really enjoyed the Wii, specifically for the games that I can play with family. I don't understand the point of the big controller. Half the games I play on the Wii are like the sports games, etc... the ones that require you to swing and move the controller. Am I going to swing around something the size of an Atari Lynx in order to move my guy around? I see the WiiU as a newer version of the Wii... better graphics, faster, and backwards compatible. Had they sold it as such, without this nonsense controller... it would have been fantastic and sold really well.

Had they even sold the WiiU with that controller as an option, it would have been great too.

I’m really not trying to come as offensive, but I still don’t get your reasoning. The Wii U’s failure is due to a multitude of mistakes and failures by Nintendo, and I would argue that the design and especially the actual functionality of the Gamepad plays a minor part at best. The commercial failure of a console hardly means that its controller was objectively bad in any way. If you yourself believe that your opinion is based on those of the general public who are merely making comments from its visual appearance, I’m not sure where your displeasure towards the controller is exactly stemming from.

As many others have pointed out, the standard Wiimote is compatible with the Wii U. You can still use it to play Wii games. In fact, you have to use it to play Wii games. You aren’t gonna be swinging the Gamepad, it doesn’t work that way.

Even without everything I’ve mentioned, what’s the point of moaning and complaining about the Gamepad? If you don’t understand the point of it, you either try it for yourself or you don’t. You have been given all the answers you need to make the decision.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I don't understand the point of the big controller. Half the games I play on the Wii are like the sports games, etc... the ones that require you to swing and move the controller. Am I going to swing around something the size of an Atari Lynx in order to move my guy around? I see the WiiU as a newer version of the Wii... better graphics, faster, and backwards compatible. Had they sold it as such, without this nonsense controller... it would have been fantastic and sold really well.

See, this itself helps show a big reason why the WiiU failed: confusion over what exactly the system was. Nintendo's marketing of the console was atrocious. I remember seeing the announcement of the system and then having to dig around to find out that it was actually its own standalone system, rather than just being some controller upgrade. And I'm hardly your standard average joe consumer who hopped on the Wii bandwagon because the motion controls looked neat. If even diehard Nintendo fans could be confused over what exactly the system was, just imagine how standard average joe consumer must have felt. With Nintendo's marketing, there hardly seemed to be a point in paying $300 for an "upgrade" when the Wii was still plenty fun. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, 82-T/A said:

I don't understand the point of having this portable system connected to a Wii.

It's the same reason that the DS and the 3DS have two screens. The Gamepad has a touch-screen on it, a camera, microphone, and gyroscope. You can also use it for off-screen play (so you can play games without the TV), or some games let you use it as your own separate screen for multiplayer (I know Mario Kart 8 and some of the Lego games do).

It even has a mini sensor bar built in, for playing Wii games off-screen.

I always liked using it for YouTube on the Web browser. You could search for videos on the touch screen while people are watching something on the TV.

You can also use it as a TV remote for some raisin. I don't get it, but I sure do appreciate it.

On 4/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, 82-T/A said:

I think I'm correct in assuming that I cannot use the Wii-U without having that strange controller?

Incorrect.

AFAIK, the Gamepad is only required for changing the system settings. Once you've got your settings configured just how you want them, just pray you never need to change them again as you sacrifice the evil, evil Gamepad to your deity of choice by chucking it into an active volcano.

On 4/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, 82-T/A said:

This makes me so sad, I was hoping someone would respond and say, "No, you are totally wrong... you don't need that device... you just need to buy this one thing on AliExpress for $5 bucks and then you can use Wii controllers, and it magically becomes an HDMI faster Wii that can play all the new games."

You don't need to purchase anything; unlike the Switch, the WiiU natively supports Wiimotes. A good majority of Wii U games even support Wiimote/Nunchuck/Pro Controller/etc.
There's a GameCube controller adapter too, but IIRC it only supports Smash Bros.

It will not become a "faster Wii". All the old Wii games will run with the same performance as on a real Wii, and the same 480p video.
If there's a way to unlock the extra CPU/RAM, like hackers have done with the New 3DS, I haven't seen it.

On 4/5/2023 at 1:45 PM, 82-T/A said:

Do you think there's any chance that someone develops a firmware reflash, perhaps, and a small daughter-board or upgrade for the existing console, that would allow you to use the WiiU console without the master controller, and then just use generic controllers or original Wii controllers?

It's not the firmware that's the problem, it's the games themselves. Any game that requires the Gamepad simply isn't going to work at all without it. No ZombiU, no Nintendo Land, no Super Mario Maker...

But if you just want to play regular Wii games with HDMI, it would probably be a lot cheaper to find a video converter/upscaler.
Or a TV that supports component video would be ideal. I seem to remember Wii via component looking a lot nicer than HDMI. When I was replaying Skyward Sword last year (via HDMI) I was having some video quality issues that I don't remember having when the game came out.

On 4/7/2023 at 10:32 AM, Austin said:

There's also NES Remix Pack which has the two NES Remix games. Technically also on 3DS, but I think it's more enjoyable on the big screen.

I thought it was more enjoyable on the 3DS...the Wii U version has too much input lag, making some of those challenges far too difficult.
I might have to try it again on a CRT or something, but I have a feeling the lag is built into the game, so that the Gamepad isn't out of sync.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Asaki said:

I thought it was more enjoyable on the 3DS...the Wii U version has too much input lag, making some of those challenges far too difficult.
I might have to try it again on a CRT or something, but I have a feeling the lag is built into the game, so that the Gamepad isn't out of sync.

Yeah the input lag is bothersome, but I eventually got used to it. I think it's generally worth it for the remixed modes you unlock. In the Remix Pack on Wii U you also get Super Luigi Bros., which is kind of a neat take on Super Mario Bros.

Edited by Austin

34 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

This is actually very convenient since TVs are rarely able to switch input sources automatically.

There’s also the fact that the only thing you need to grab whenever you want to play is the Gamepad, no need to fumble with your TV remote as well to turn the TV on and whatnot. I use the remote function all the time.

• Thanks 1

When the Wii was released I was on line for this thing. It did not disappoint. I was all into it and eventually became really involved in the hacking scene for that console. 

When the Wii U launched I had a six year old and a 2 year old. I had no expendable funds to buy the thing on my salary. But, I could have if I had tried. The problem is, Nintendo really gave me no reason to try. I saw it a few times in store demos and honestly did not know what to make of it. Was this an upgraded Wii with a pad? Seemed so to me. I moved on and kept on collecting for my vintage consoles.

A few years later (2015 maybe) I came across a Reddit thread speaking of some guy selling "new" Wii U 32GB models on ebay for $100 each. I purchased one for the heck of it. It arrived, but from Nintendo directly. Odd. Then the next day a second one arrived. VERY odd. Then the seller was removed from ebay. I suspect selling stolen consoles perhaps...who knows.

But, I was able now to try the thing out. And man I soon realized what I had missed. I spent days with Super Mario 3D World. Then the game purchases began. It was a whole new console with backward Wii compatibility. How did I miss out on this thing?

Well, advertising, period. If it were promoted better and I knew really what this was I would have moved on it much earlier in its life. I am really glad that I have one and would not part with it for anything at this point, but I think had more people been aware of what it was it would have had much better success than it had. 

It's a shame really as it is truly one of the best (if not the best) Nintendo console ever created. You can play just about everything Nintendo had ever released on it through legit (and non-legit) ways.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 9:39 PM, bluejay said:

I’m really not trying to come as offensive, but I still don’t get your reasoning. The Wii U’s failure is due to a multitude of mistakes and failures by Nintendo, and I would argue that the design and especially the actual functionality of the Gamepad plays a minor part at best. The commercial failure of a console hardly means that its controller was objectively bad in any way. If you yourself believe that your opinion is based on those of the general public who are merely making comments from its visual appearance, I’m not sure where your displeasure towards the controller is exactly stemming from.

As I've said, literally the thing that's kept me from buying it this entire time, is the belief that I MUST use that controller to do certain things. There are dozens of "renewed" systems out there, which I would / could by right now without breaking a sweat... it's not the money. I simply don't want this big ass controller with a screen that I must use.

I know you're not trying to be offensive, but you're also trying to defend something you really love, and I totally understand that. I love the Wii, and love to play the newer ones that are on the WiiU. What I don't want though, is a big gigantic controller with a screen on it that I have to look at for certain things... but again, the only reason why I care is because I see the WiiU as an upgrade and opportunity for newer games . And if we're being really honest here... whether a valid or invalid criticism... the system likely failed because no one understood what the point of the big controller was... we can blame marketing.

EDIT: Now that I'm 45... my vision has been going like it does with all old people. I was near sighted when I was younger, now I have to have two pairs of glasses, one to see things more than 20 feet in front of me, and another pair to see things right smack in front of my face. Like... to read a book, I either have to take my glasses off completely, or I have to hold the book out like 3 feet from my face. Getting old sucks.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:39 PM, bluejay said:

Even without everything I’ve mentioned, what’s the point of moaning and complaining about the Gamepad? If you don’t understand the point of it, you either try it for yourself or you don’t. You have been given all the answers you need to make the decision.

It's definitely NOT because I enjoy trashing something and want to make you feel bad. It's because I'm still hoping maybe you guys can convince me that it's not as I think it is... that somehow the system is not actually dependent on the Gamepad. Because if that's so, I'd love to buy one of those Refurbished units (directly from Nintendo), so we can play the old Wii games and the newer WiiU games.

On 4/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, Sauron said:

See, this itself helps show a big reason why the WiiU failed: confusion over what exactly the system was. Nintendo's marketing of the console was atrocious. I remember seeing the announcement of the system and then having to dig around to find out that it was actually its own standalone system, rather than just being some controller upgrade. And I'm hardly your standard average joe consumer who hopped on the Wii bandwagon because the motion controls looked neat. If even diehard Nintendo fans could be confused over what exactly the system was, just imagine how standard average joe consumer must have felt. With Nintendo's marketing, there hardly seemed to be a point in paying $300 for an "upgrade" when the Wii was still plenty fun.

I'm old enough on here to remember when they made the Atari 7800 backwards compatible to the Atari 2600. Having a newer system that could play newer / better games of the 7800, while still also being able to play Atari 2600 games, was a very awesome feature. So the "upgrade" aspect is really the ONLY reason why I'm considering the WiiU... to be completely honest. It gives me the opportunity to continue to play the older games I like, but then also play some of the newer games. I'm a man in my mid-40s now... as of earlier this month. So, I generally do not have the kind of set-up where there are like 15 game consoles set up in my family room. I have an Atari VCS on top of my console furniture, and a black Nintendo Wii hidden in the cabinet, with all wires hidden, and speakers flush-mounted in the ceiling that no one sees. TV is mounted to the wall, with all the cables running behind the drywall to behind the console. So if I get a WiiU, it would replace the Wii I already have there.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:18 PM, Asaki said:

It's the same reason that the DS and the 3DS have two screens. The Gamepad has a touch-screen on it, a camera, microphone, and gyroscope. You can also use it for off-screen play (so you can play games without the TV), or some games let you use it as your own separate screen for multiplayer (I know Mario Kart 8 and some of the Lego games do).

It even has a mini sensor bar built in, for playing Wii games off-screen.

I never got the DS or 3DS. Again, I'm old AF on here, and I don't mean Air Force. I got a Game Boy (original) back in the early 90s with money I made from when I sold my 8-bit Nintendo at a garage sale. We bought a Wii back in 2003 I think it was because my wife wanted to play these games (before that, my last system was an Atari Jaguar). I recently bought a Switch Lite for my daughter (in pink), and I've never played it myself. But again, I got her the Switch Lite because I really didn't like the whole thing with the joysticks coming off or that weird docking station. Maybe it's just me being an old fart... I'd love to know how many people on here are mid-40s and like the interplay between a TV console and a hand-held? I generally do not like anything that attempts to merge the two. I also have a Sega Dreamcast (I bought it new, but off eBay many years after they discontinued it). Even those little modules with the screens drive me nuts because I'm constantly having to change the CR2032 batteries in them (they don't really make a lot of sense to me).

Incorrect.

AFAIK, the Gamepad is only required for changing the system settings. Once you've got your settings configured just how you want them, just pray you never need to change them again as you sacrifice the evil, evil Gamepad to your deity of choice by chucking it into an active volcano.

Ok, this could be a game-changer for me... if you are all telling me that I could buy a Nintendo WiiU... hook up the big dumb Gameboy device to it, do a couple of configuration changes... disconnect it and toss it into a drawer and never have to play with it again until I need to make changes again... and... I can play all my old Wii games (without needing it AT ALL... I mean, AT ALL), and I can play the new WiiU games without requiring it at all either (at least the good ones, like Zelda, Super Mario, etc...) then I'm getting one. But if I have to have that s**t hooked up to it in order to just operate it, then I sure as hell don't want it. Hoping to be surprised here...

It will not become a "faster Wii". All the old Wii games will run with the same performance as on a real Wii, and the same 480p video.
If there's a way to unlock the extra CPU/RAM, like hackers have done with the New 3DS, I haven't seen it.

I meant improving loading times, like from the CD-ROM and the read/writes from memory. I certainly wouldn't want the speed of the games to change.

Edited by 82-T/A

6 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

What I don't want though, is a big gigantic controller with a screen on it that I have to look at for certain things...

To be honest, most of the traditional games display the exact some thing on the GamePad and on the TV, so you don't have to look at the GamePad's screen if you don't want to. It's a big, very comfortable controller.

Even those little modules with the screens drive me nuts because I'm constantly having to change the CR2032 batteries in them.

No, you don't have to change the CR2032 batteries in the VMUs if you only use them as memory cards. The batteries are only required to play with them, which you don't seem interested in doing.

Maybe it's just me being an old fart...

I'm not a lot younger than you but your fears really sound irrational to me (and to other members here, apparently).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I'm not a lot younger than you but your fears really sound irrational to me (and to other members here, apparently).

I mean... "fear" is not at all what this is. Maybe I give the impression that I'm this guy right now...

1276553531_NPCScream.png.e1f44bcef1b986f87ac62bff38784573.png

... but that is not at all the case. I'm more slightly annoyed that Nintendo made a system like this, without doing the market research. Obviously... some people are upset, but I didn't start this thread, and am not the only one in here that's expressing some level of frustration. But I will survive... I will find it within myself to get through this and live with the knowledge that the WiiU requires a big-ass game-boy attached to it. It makes me think of this (minus the whole saving the planet thing)...

WiiU.thumb.jpg.a78990b130e2a6d83ef176ee9b294621.jpg

8 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

EDIT: Now that I'm 45... my vision has been going like it does with all old people. I was near sighted when I was younger, now I have to have two pairs of glasses, one to see things more than 20 feet in front of me, and another pair to see things right smack in front of my face. Like... to read a book, I either have to take my glasses off completely, or I have to hold the book out like 3 feet from my face. Getting old sucks.

Hah, glad it's not just me ;) I am 47 (48 in two months) and I am in the same boat. I am "older AF"!

I have to wear glasses to see anything up close or somewhat up close. I can't see my phone unless I hold it WAY out there. I recently obtained a mint original PSP which I modded with the original thought that "hey, I am going to go ahead and enjoy this thing like I did in my 30's just to realize soon after that I can't see the darn thing without glasses and even then its a bit difficult. And here I am looking for a 3DS currently. I guess I am a glutton for punishment.

The Wii U screen is better but I still have to grab the ol' glasses in some cases. 

But anyway... I think the screen gimmick works great in some cases. Game & Wario and Star Fox Zero both make some pretty awesome use of the pad. Kirby Rainbow Curse is absolutely awesome and needs the gamepad by design of the game so I get that. Some games like Super Mario 3D World make you switch to the gamepad a few times for the Captain Toad levels and one or two specialized levels but that game is mostly for the Pro Controller. And, most other games I play are Pro Controller compatible so the pad mostly sits on the dock.

I personally like the pad but I get that it is not everyone's cup of tea. It feels good in hand to me and I can play on it just like I do the Pro Controller to be honest. You wouldn't think it by looking at it but it is actually light and feels great in hand. 

Overall as a system I love it, but again to each their own. It is one of the consoles I have left after purging much of my stuff that I just cannot part with.

Edited by eightbit

10 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

...and I can play the new WiiU games without requiring it at all either (at least the good ones, like Zelda, Super Mario, etc...) then I'm getting one.

I'm not sure about Zelda and Mario...

I think you can play Wind Waker and Twilight Princess without the Gamepad, but BotW requires you to use the Gamepad for the gyroscope segments in some of the shrines. I guess you could just skip those shrines?

I think you can play NSMBU without the Gamepad, but Super Mario 3D World requires it for some levels. There are some touch screen and microphone bits in it, I know.

I'm sure there's probably a list out there of WiiU games that don't require the Gamepad.

10 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I meant improving loading times, like from the CD-ROM and the read/writes from memory. I certainly wouldn't want the speed of the games to change.

Nah, as far as I know, there are no improvements on that front.

As I've said, literally the thing that's kept me from buying it this entire time, is the belief that I MUST use that controller to do certain things. There are dozens of "renewed" systems out there, which I would / could by right now without breaking a sweat... it's not the money. I simply don't want this big ass controller with a screen that I must use.

Yes, and quite literally everyone who you have encountered has told you that all the points you are making are either irrelevant or untrue.

I know you're not trying to be offensive, but you're also trying to defend something you really love, and I totally understand that. I love the Wii, and love to play the newer ones that are on the WiiU. What I don't want though, is a big gigantic controller with a screen on it that I have to look at for certain things... but again, the only reason why I care is because I see the WiiU as an upgrade and opportunity for newer games . And if we're being really honest here... whether a valid or invalid criticism... the system likely failed because no one understood what the point of the big controller was... we can blame marketing.

Contrary to what I must look like right now, I’m not really a Nintendo fanboy nor do I possess a particularly strong love for the Wii U. I’m merely trying to explain to you that your seeming distaste for the Gamepad is illogical. 

It appears to me that your two biggest gripes is that the controller is large and you’re too old to read small text.

I’ve spent the greater part of 2021 playing an hour of Breath of the Wild every day on my Wii U Gamepad, and I don’t remember even once wishing that the controller was smaller. It’s large, yes, but that merely makes it very comfortable to hold.

You will rarely run into scenarios where you are required to read small text on the Gamepad. Most games either feature a graphics based UI or little of anything at all on the Gamepad screen (which is, as you pointed out, quite large). Everything else will be on your television.

As I have asked multiple times, how does the commercial failure of a system or the marketing blunders of it affect you as an end user in any way? This point you seem to be trying to make is irrelevant. 

Just for you, I powered up my Wii U and for the first time in ages actually connected my Wiimotes to the thing. I can indeed confirm that you do not need to use the Gamepad at all to operate the system should you want to use the thing exclusively as an HD Wii. However, no, you cannot disconnect the Gamepad and toss it in a drawer. It has to be on and connected to the system or the console will throw you an error message.

At this point, I believe that I (and many others) have made it quite clear that you have little logical reason to shy away from the Wii U because of its controller. I really don’t know what else to tell you.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

While you can use the Wii U without touching the gamepad, why the hell would anyone even want to do that? The gamepad is awesome. The dual screen experience is one that cannot be reproduced on the Switch. The gamepad is literally one of the number one things I like about the Wii U. I think it is just really misunderstood.

39 minutes ago, bluejay said:

Yes, and quite literally everyone who you have encountered has told you that all the points you are making are either irrelevant or untrue.

Contrary to what I must look like right now, I’m not really a Nintendo fanboy nor do I possess a particularly strong love for the Wii U. I’m merely trying to explain to you that your seeming distaste for the Gamepad is illogical. 

It appears to me that your two biggest gripes is that the controller is large and you’re too old to read small text.

No... those are two issues that stem from the main problem for me... which is that there's a Game Boy attached to the Wii-U.

I’ve spent the greater part of 2021 playing an hour of Breath of the Wild every day on my Wii U Gamepad, and I don’t remember even once wishing that the controller was smaller. It’s large, yes, but that merely makes it very comfortable to hold.

You will rarely run into scenarios where you are required to read small text on the Gamepad. Most games either feature a graphics based UI or little of anything at all on the Gamepad screen (which is, as you pointed out, quite large). Everything else will be on your television.

As I have asked multiple times, how does the commercial failure of a system or the marketing blunders of it affect you as an end user in any way? This point you seem to be trying to make is irrelevant. 

I can assure you I didn't come here to debate the merits of the Wii-U or make a point. I'm here because I've been considering a Wii-U, and occasionally come into this forum, and found this thread that spoke to my gripes about the system. And here we are.

I want one, but am frustrated that it requires a Game Boy to be attached to it at all times. So this bums me out, because to me it's like... there is my dream Lamborghini that's for sale, refurbished, for cheap... but it has a large dildo attached to the roof... and no matter what, It must remain attached and I can never remove it. So do I still buy it?

...no, you cannot disconnect the Gamepad and toss it in a drawer. It has to be on and connected to the system or the console will throw you an error message.

... ugh. OK. That's really unfortunate.

20 minutes ago, eightbit said:

While you can use the Wii U without touching the gamepad, why the hell would anyone even want to do that? The gamepad is awesome. The dual screen experience is one that cannot be reproduced on the Switch. The gamepad is literally one of the number one things I like about the Wii U. I think it is just really misunderstood.

I'm not knocking people who like it. It's just not for me. I suppose I'm at a different time in my life. I don't really play games (as much as I'd really like to), and I don't really want a lot of "stuff" hanging around. There was a time in my life where I'd love to have a large entertainment console with every system known to man kind set up. Now I keep it simple (There's a Wii hiding in there too).

image0.thumb.jpeg.d0083e8fd7bfd2b9face9be9518c3ecd.jpeg

The WiiU controller was a daring concept. To think that humankind has advanced so much that it is able to cognitivly deal with two screens at once is an optimisim that perhaps only the japanese can invision. I for my part think the WiiU controller requires you to have a multitask type of cognition as well as an IQ of 120 minimum.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:23 PM, 82-T/A said:

But again, I got her the Switch Lite because I really didn't like the whole thing with the joysticks coming off or that weird docking station.

Sorry to insist, but that part puzzles me as well. The whole point of the Switch is being able to 'switch' from a handheld system to playing on your TV, and vice versa. Now, I admit you could just connect the Switch to a TV with a cable, like the Evercade does for instance, but the "weird docking station" makes it way easier, since you don't have to go behind your TV to connect a cable, you just put your handheld on the dock. So I don't know, maybe it was not the most elegant design solution, but dismissing the most important (and quite revolutionary) feature of a video game system because it's visually weird to you, to me it just doesn't show you're an old fart, but a very strange human being with peculiar OCD. I mean if detachable controllers bother you, don't detach them, they won't fall by themselves!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Sorry to insist, but that part puzzles me as well. The whole point of the Switch is being able to 'switch' from a handheld system to playing on your TV, and vice versa. Now, I admit you could just connect the Switch to a TV with a cable, like the Evercade does for instance, but the "weird docking station" makes it way easier, since you don't have to go behind your TV to connect a cable, you just put your handheld on the dock. So I don't know, maybe it was not the most elegant design solution, but dismissing the most important (and quite revolutionary) feature of a video game system because it's visually weird to you, to me it just doesn't show you're an old fart, but a very strange human being with peculiar OCD. I mean if detachable controllers bother you, don't detach them, they won't fall by themselves!

Well, I definitely do not have OCD, I just don't play a lot of games. My daughter has no interest in playing games on the big TV either with her Switch, but she does play our arcade machines, or her VR headset, and PC games, as well as games on her phone. But she has no interest in hooking up her Switch to the TV at all. Never even wanted to.

On 4/21/2023 at 8:30 AM, bluejay said:

However, no, you cannot disconnect the Gamepad and toss it in a drawer. It has to be on and connected to the system or the console will throw you an error message.

Are you sure about that one?
I just turned mine on (via the power button on the Wii U itself) and booted Mario Kart 8. The Gamepad is sitting on a table, drained battery, no signs of life.
There were no errors of any kind.

USA NTSC black 32gig model (the Zelda one), pretty sure it's fully updated, only the Wii portion is soft-modded for HBC.
Dunno which motherboard revision I have, but I'm assuming this model only had one.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:24 AM, 82-T/A said:

I want one, but am frustrated that it requires a Game Boy to be attached to it at all times. So this bums me out, because to me it's like... there is my dream Lamborghini that's for sale, refurbished, for cheap... but it has a large dildo attached to the roof... and no matter what, It must remain attached and I can never remove it. So do I still buy it?

It's not "attached" to the Wii, it's wireless. Like I said, you can hide it in a drawer and it will never hurt you again.

It's like there's your dream Lamborghini for sale, but it comes with a wireless remote control for the radio. The remote is a bit larger than most, but you only need it to change the clock, you can listen to AM or FM just fine without it.

1 minute ago, Asaki said:

Are you sure about that one?
I just turned mine on (via the power button on the Wii U itself) and booted Mario Kart 8. The Gamepad is sitting on a table, drained battery, no signs of life.
There were no errors of any kind.

USA NTSC black 32gig model (the Zelda one), pretty sure it's fully updated, only the Wii portion is soft-modded for HBC.
Dunno which motherboard revision I have, but I'm assuming this model only had one.

Hm, now that you mention it, I’ve never actually tried powering the system on without the Gamepad in the first place. The error appears whenever I disconnect the Gamepad while both are still up and running.

Mine’s a Japanese black 32GB model, so it could be a regional difference too. I’ll check when I find the time to do so.

I personally love the Wii U and it’s one of my favorite systems. like mentioned above there were many reasons why the system failed. The tablet controller was a good idea but no executed well. Nintendo themselves didn’t advertise the system well and left most people confused about it. I think if given another chance and Nintendo marketed better then I think it would have succeeded.