IGNORED

Wii u undeservibly failed because it was a great innovative systemsystem

johannesmutlu

While I love the Wii U gamepad and generally use it, I'd of still made a few changes.

My first change is that if I power up the Wii U with a controller other than the Wii U gamepad, I wouldn't make the gamepad power on just for the heck of it. No need to drain the battery or put time on the LCD backlight when I'm not even using the thing. If I wanted to use the Wii U gamepad, I'd of turned it on myself with the controller's power button.

Secondly, no game with full Wii controller support or Wii U Pro Controller support would be allowed to mandate the gamepad just in order to go past the title screen. There's multiple offenders out there like NES Remix 1 & 2 and DuckTales Remastered that are fully playable with an alternative controller, but mandate the gamepad just in order to go past the title screen.

The next change is that Wii U Pro Controller support wouldn't actually need to be coded for, bypassing lazy developers not bothering to support it even though it has everything needed for games that don't use the gyro or touch screen. Several games didn't support it even though they made no use of the gamepad's non-traditional features. The most obvious offender off the top of my head is The Pinball Arcade from Farsight. Not purely a Nintendo or Wii U issue here, as many of us with modern arcade sticks or d-pad only gamepads have discovered on other modern consoles.

Lastly, I thought it was silly to mandate the gamepad just to alter the system settings.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, 82-T/A said:

I recently bought a Switch Lite for my daughter (in pink), and I've never played it myself. But again, I got her the Switch Lite because I really didn't like the whole thing with the joysticks coming off or that weird docking station. Maybe it's just me being an old fart..

I don't trust the Switch Lite quality.  I've had to send my daughter's in for repairs twice!    I'd recommend the full Switch even for handheld use, because it least if the joycons fail, (which is common) they can easily be replaced.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, 82-T/A said:

. I'd love to know how many people on here are mid-40s and like the interplay between a TV console and a hand-held? I generally do not like anything that attempts to merge the two.

It depends on the game and the integration.   There's a bunch of games like the Jackbox games that allow people to use their own phones and ipad as a second screen-  you aren't forced to use a proprietary one like the WiiU.     Those are party games where you don't want to see each other's answers until the reveal.   But I think they are a great use case for integrating  a TV screen and handheld device.

On 4/24/2023 at 2:52 AM, Atariboy said:

While I love the Wii U gamepad and generally use it, I'd of still made a few changes.

I just wish you could enter Wii mode without having to use the actual television for the "please point the Wiimote at the screen" bit. If there's a purpose to it, I don't know what it is.

Also would be nice to be able to use the Gamepad for all Wii games (not just the ones purchased through the Wii U eShop). But what can you do?

I've wondered as well why the gamepad couldn't serve as a controller on Classic Controller enabled Wii releases (except for those bought digitally from the Wii U eShop).

While there might be a technical reason, it would've also discouraged quite a few Wii to Wii U Virtual Console upgrades. So I wouldn't be surprised if the reason was a simple as protecting that revenue stream.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 12:29 PM, bluejay said:

Hm, now that you mention it, I’ve never actually tried powering the system on without the Gamepad in the first place. The error appears whenever I disconnect the Gamepad while both are still up and running.

Mine’s a Japanese black 32GB model, so it could be a regional difference too. I’ll check when I find the time to do so.

The Wii U (any region) will simply not function without seeing the gamepad. You need it. Otherwise there will be an error on the screen that tells you the gamepad cannot be found. The gamepad is also region locked, so you cannot (unless you hack the console) use another region's gamepad with a different region console. Not sure why they went as far to do that, but they did.

I have two Wii U consoles (one white, one black) and last week the black gamepad battery gave out. Thankfully changing the battery is simply as easy as removing the battery door on the back and unplugging it. I ordered a 3600mAh battery on Amazon and swapped out the original old 1500mAh battery. I was planning on doing that anyway but I guess the Wii U wanted it done now ;) This is one thing I can say is a positive for the Wii U over the Switch... and that is that the thing is designed for the end user to be able to change the battery. Same thing with the Wii U pro controller. 

But, the point is that the gamepad is a part of the console. It needs to be seen by the console for everything to work. You can put it in a drawer if you don't want to see it, but make sure that drawer is close enough to the Wii U deck AND that the gamepad is charged! Like I said, it is needed 100% for the system to work.

One other thing I would like to address as I saw mention of it in one of the previous posts. The Switch Lite *cannot* connect to a TV...at all. It does not have the logic inside of it to connect HDMI. It is a portable console only. The only way to play Switch games on a TV is with a dockable Switch model (the one with the removable joycons).

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eightbit said:

The Wii U (any region) will simply not function without seeing the gamepad. You need it. Otherwise there will be an error on the screen that tells you the gamepad cannot be found.

Then what's so special about my WiiU? Because I never got any error, and Mario Kart 8 booted up just fine with the Pro Controller.

I even double-checked because you guys had me doubting myself.

Just now, Asaki said:

Then what's so special about my WiiU? Because I never got any error, and Mario Kart 8 booted up just fine with the Pro Controller.

I even double-checked because you guys had me doubting myself.

Where is the gamepad when you are playing?

2 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Where is the gamepad when you are playing?

It's not that far away, but the battery's dead, it doesn't turn on when the WiiU does.

I suppose I could run some more tests, but it seems rather strange to me...

10 minutes ago, Asaki said:

It's not that far away, but the battery's dead, it doesn't turn on when the WiiU does.

I suppose I could run some more tests, but it seems rather strange to me...

Indeed. My wife was playing Yoshi's Wooly World and as the battery in the Wii U pad was bad on the black model her game kept stopping with the "lost connection" screen. Keep in mind she was playing the game with the Pro Controller and the gamepad was merely sitting on the rechargeable dock (with its orange light flickering...a sign of a faulty battery). Maybe it is game specific?

EDIT: I believe it may be game specific. Some games may look for the presence of the pad but we'd have to test more. Since yours is completely dead you are in a good spot to test some games and see if you find any that error.

Aside that, the gamepad is the only way to access the console settings so that is quite important. And, some games as you know (like NES Remix) need the gamepad to get past the first message and get into the game. I am going to lean on what I said previously in that the gamepad is just needed. It's like the steering wheel of the car that is the console.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I stand corrected, I guess the Wii port of DOSBox does take advantage of the Wii U's extra hardware:

-=[ Performance on Wii and vWii ]=-

* Wii with core=dynamic (Dynamic Recompiler) and cycles=max.
  Wii get 2.9 fps by PCPBench.
  A Dosbox on Wii represents something like between a
  486 DX/33 System (>= 2.5 fps) and
  486 DX2/66 System (>= 4.0 fps) by PCPBench.

* WiiU with core=dynamic (Dynamic Recompiler) and
  cycles=max and full CPU Speed with WiiVC and cafe2wii.
  WiiU/vWii get 5.7 fps by PCPBench.
  A Dosbox on WiiU represents something like between a
  486 DX2/66 System (>= 4.0 fps) and
  486 DX4/100 System (>= 7.5 fps) by PCPBench.

Not sure if there are any other homebrews that do, and I seriously doubt any official releases ever did (Nintendo doesn't usually allow that sort of thing), but that's still pretty cool.

On 3/27/2023 at 9:09 AM, Asaki said:

Sometimes I get the feeling that someone really hates Nintendo...

I love Nintendo but feel almost the exact same as he does. The WiiU was the only console I ever got rid of during the retail life of a console. I preordered the WiiU and had it day one, I gave it a year and half and got rid of it. Quality releases where few and far between and I felt dupped.  I bought one again years later but don't play it much and only grabbed it cause it was dirt cheap. The WiiU caused me to loose faith in Nintendo for a while. I still don't have the same trust in the Big N that I did for so many years due to the sour taste I can still easily recall from the WiiU. 

• 9 months later...