Jump to content
IGNORED

to MultiTOS or not to MultiTOS... that is the question


Recommended Posts

I come from time I never explored MultiTOS, as mid 90s I was leaving Atari and moving onto Mac.

 

I had a Mega 2ST so was not an option, I don't think, and did not own a Falcon or TT in the day.

 

I read MultiTOS is slow, and you know how Mint, etc... BUT... coming back into Atari to enjoy picking up where I left off, and that MultiTOS does not need the same memory or space the current Mint does, thinking about exploring MultiTOS on my TT030 once I install 2MB more ST ram.

 

Anyone here still use MultiTOS on their TT030 or Falcon.

 

Any words of wisdom for me?

 

Just curious if anyone still uses it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you can get FreeMiNT installed then I highly recommend that instead.

 

But if you want to use MultiTOS, primary to run GEM apps together, then you want to get XBoot or SuperBoot which lets you choose which AUTO programs to run on bootup.  That way you can choose to run MultiTOS or not depending on the program you need to run, because some ST programs can't run on MultiTOS or any multitasker.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I would go for Magic or Geneva on a vanilla Atari, but I do use a AES 4.1 install now and again on my Falcon. It is bit sluggish responsiveness wise, but it is the nearest thing to vanilla GEM that has multitasking, so the transistion is easy enough. Set up is easy enough, and you don't have to get too messy with the Mint CNF file. As a Mac user, Magic might be more your thing, as Magic clearly draws its influence from classic Mac OS and is also super fast. Plus you get to use the best desktop on the Atari bar none, Jinnee (although you will really have to upgrade the memory to use it and have some decent amounts of memory left for running software), without the minor graphical/ compatibility issues it seems to have with Mint.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Zogging Hell said:

Personally I would go for Magic or Geneva on a vanilla Atari, but I do use a AES 4.1 install now and again on my Falcon. It is bit sluggish responsiveness wise, but it is the nearest thing to vanilla GEM that has multitasking, so the transistion is easy enough. Set up is easy enough, and you don't have to get too messy with the Mint CNF file. As a Mac user, Magic might be more your thing, as Magic clearly draws its influence from classic Mac OS and is also super fast. Plus you get to use the best desktop on the Atari bar none, Jinnee (although you will really have to upgrade the memory to use it and have some decent amounts of memory left for running software), without the minor graphical/ compatibility issues it seems to have with Mint.

I suspect one day I will use Magic with Jinnee as a everyday setup but I will enjoy exploring many combos.

Thanks MrMaddog and Zogging Hell for your answers.

TJ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's an article from Current Notes that best explains how multitasking works on Atari computers:

 

https://archive.org/details/current-notes-volume-14-number-4-may-1994/page/30/mode/2up

 

I'm not familiar with Magic as I never used it but I know it completely replaces TOS and uses preemptive multitasking. 

 

Someday I'll get around to play with these solutions myself as I now have Aranym running on my RPi and can finally have the super multitasking Atari machine I've always wanted since the mid-90's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

Here's an article from Current Notes that best explains how multitasking works on Atari computers:

 

https://archive.org/details/current-notes-volume-14-number-4-may-1994/page/30/mode/2up

 

I'm not familiar with Magic as I never used it but I know it completely replaces TOS and uses preemptive multitasking. 

 

Someday I'll get around to play with these solutions myself as I now have Aranym running on my RPi and can finally have the super multitasking Atari machine I've always wanted since the mid-90's.

Thanks, I have some Current Notes.  I will grab this PDF though as not sure I have this issue.

Thanks

TJ

 

Atari Magazines Bookshelf.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Zogging Hell said:

That bookshelf has a blasphemous amount of (atari related literature) space to fill... get cracking!

Agreed, but funny how much what is there WEIGHS!  haha.  

 

Issue is, I have tons of Sinclair QL mags that may fill up 1/2 of what is left.

 

TJ

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2023 at 6:52 PM, AtariSociety said:

Anyone here still use MultiTOS on their TT030 or Falcon.

 

 

Hi !

 

I have MultiTOS installed on my TT. I use it mostly for testing purposes. As a programmer, I need to verify that my programs run under the most common systems (TOS, MultiTOS, Freemint)

 

Here are some copies of my screen (using a patch I wrote to get the correct colors for the icons in true color and a background image):

 

https://gtello.pagesperso-orange.fr/multicon.htm

 

Guillaume.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...