IGNORED

Champ games and others on Uno 2600? (scrambled signal)

8bitwidgets.com

Hi everyone, I was wanting to try oiut some Champ games and I have a standard 2600 + Uno Cart.  I have played many game on it and works fine.  Any classic rom I have I could throw at it and it played without issue...

However I tried the following games:

Robot War - screen was all squiggly..  

Lady Bug - played flawlessly

Scramble - screen was all squiggly.. 

Wizard of Wor - Black screen.  

I'm in the US so I'm using an NTSC system.  The only thing that might be kinda different about mine is that it has a composite mod installed.  However, I know this is probably not the issue because I can play virtually any other 2600 rom and they play without incident.  Any ideas?  Maybe the Uno cart isn't good for homebrews?  

1 hour ago, Caleb Garner said:

Hi everyone, I was wanting to try oiut some Champ games and I have a standard 2600 + Uno Cart.  I have played many game on it and works fine.  Any classic rom I have I could throw at it and it played without issue...

However I tried the following games:

Robot War - screen was all squiggly..  

Lady Bug - played flawlessly

Scramble - screen was all squiggly.. 

Wizard of Wor - Black screen.  

I'm in the US so I'm using an NTSC system.  The only thing that might be kinda different about mine is that it has a composite mod installed.  However, I know this is probably not the issue because I can play virtually any other 2600 rom and they play without incident.  Any ideas?  Maybe the Uno cart isn't good for homebrews?  

that is correct.

It is a known thing.

please read this post:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Most Champ Games utilize DPC+ and CDFJ bankswitching schemes (ARM-based)... which require a Harmony Cart.  The UnoCart / PlusCart will not work for those games.

Hopefully someday! 🤞 :) It's either that or I start making games without the ARM, and I'm too old for that... :P 

11 minutes ago, splendidnut said:

Lady Bug is the only game you listed that uses a scheme that is compatible with all the multi-carts.

:idea: Other Champ Games not listed above that work with all multi-carts are Conquest of Mars and Avalanche (uses paddles).

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Caleb Garner said:

i bought the uno cartridge without really knowing all the options out there..  

Are you using the UnoCart with standard firmware revision (12 char display) or with the UCA firmware (32 char display) ?

28 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Are you using the UnoCart with...

I'll have to look but i'm using stock hardware.  exactly out of the box no changes since I bought it maybe a year ago...   I'll look into how to do firmware updates.   I'm going to say based on what I recall from memory 12 characters seems more the speed of the display of game names and such.. 

51 minutes ago, Caleb Garner said:

So I did the update from the website..  it went fine, but it didn't help with any of the demo games.  

No CDFJ and DPC+ are not (yet) supported. But the UCA firmware v2.3.17 supports the ACE and ELF format, which are open source ARM enhanced ROM formats. A good example what will be possible with this formats is @MarcoJ's "Lord of Biscay RPG":

• Like 4

On 3/28/2023 at 7:36 PM, johnnywc said:

Hopefully someday! 🤞 :) It's either that or I start making games without the ARM, and I'm too old for that... :P 

:idea: Other Champ Games not listed above that work with all multi-carts are Conquest of Mars and Avalanche (uses paddles).

Conquest of Mars is superb! :) I just watched the video and downloaded the game.

Can't believe I haven't seen this one before it's just like the Atari 400/800 hit from APX.

The open source ARM enhanced format looks awesome for PlusCart and UnoCart. 

Another option for enhanced games is SuperCharger BASIC or the ASDK  Abstract Assembly Development Kit. These kits also offer a metric ton of cycles for game development and run everywhere, even on the Atari Flashback portable in TinyCart (R) format, Melody cartridge or classic Cassette Tape.

AFP.thumb.JPG.0773bff7a1f3b8bf6faa4809951fb891.JPG

Those formats are also supported for the Commodore 64 via an embedded 2600 emulation stub.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

I don't think it was supposed to.

Yea I wasn't sure, but when someone asked if I had the latest firmware, it seemed like they were asking because it might improve the OP question.  No harm no foul..  it's updated at least and i learned it could be updated :)

12 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

v2.3.17 supports the ACE and ELF format, which are open source ARM enhanced ROM formats

Wow that RPG is awesome.  What an achievement for the 2600!  I wonder if that lets you do save games.  Or broader, can any 2600 games save progress / high scores?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caleb Garner said:

I wonder if that lets you do save games.  Or broader, can any 2600 games save progress / high scores?  

There are a few games that use the SaveKey/AtariVox to store progress or high scores. The PlusCart and most emulators can use PlusROM functions to save high scores online:

• Like 1

Woah, loaded questions there.  lol. 

There really is no "best".  Harmony cart has been around the longest and generally supports the most homebrew.  The PlusCart has WiFi support built-in and an online game library.  Those two both compliment one another with their differing strengths.

10 hours ago, Caleb Garner said:

Or broader, can any 2600 games save progress / high scores?  

Yes, Star Castle 2600 saves the high scores on the cartridge itself, and the homebrew RPG Grizzards saves progress directly to the cart. Neither of these need the SaveKey or AtariVox to save data.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Caleb Garner said:

Or broader, can any 2600 games save progress / high scores?  

:idea: There are currently 46 games that support (or will support when complete) the SaveKey/Atarivox for saving high scores and game settings:

01 Man Goes Down (Alex Herbert)  
02 Fall Down (Aaron Curtis)   
03 Go Fish! (Bob Montgomery)
04 Strat-O-Gems (John Payson)
05 AStar (Aaron Curtis)  
06 bonQ (Ken Siders) 
07 Lead / Pitch'n'Catch (Simone Serra)
08 Elevators Amiss (Bob Montgomery)
09 Juno First (Chris Walton)
10 Karate Master (Greg Kennedy)
11 Halloween game TBA (Mark Ball)
12 Duck Attack! (Will Nicholes)
13 Monster! (Mark Ball)
14 Worm! (Mark Ball) 
15 Indenture (Will Nicholes)
16 AtariVox Spell & Speak (Mike Saarna)
17 Boulder Dash (Andrew Davie & Thomas Jentzsch)
18 Gate Racer (Steve Engelhardt)
19 Heartbreak (Shane Lloyd)
20 Circus AtariAge (Jeff Johnson)
21 Wall Jump Ninja (Tim FitzRandolph)
22 Dr.V.Dalek Berzerk (Michael Haas)
23 Scramble (John W. Champeau)
24 Assembloids (Dr. Martin Wendt)
25 Drive! (Lumi)
26 Anguna (gauauu)
27 Amoeba Jump (Dion Olsthoorn)
28 Super Cobra (John W. Champeau)
29 Space Game (kdgarris)
30 Avalanche (John W. Champeau)
31 Mappy (John W. Champeau)
32 Aardvark (Oscar Toledo Gutiérrez)
33 VROOM! (Thomas Jentzsch)
34 Wizard of Wor Arcade (John W. Champeau)
35 Galagon (John W. Champeau)
36 Tap-A-Mole (quohog)
37 rubyQ (Silvio Mogno)
38 Zoo Keeper (John W. Champeau)
39 RobotWar:2684 (John W. Champeau)
40 Gorf Arcade (John W. Champeau)
41 QYX (John W. Champeau)
42 Lady Bug Arcade (John W. Champeau)
43 Mallard Season (Mallard Season)
44 Thrust+ Platinum (Thomas Jentzsch)
45 Turbo Arcade (John W. Champeau)
46 Elevator Agent (John W. Champeau)

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Keatah said:

Since there is no one "best" multi-cart, why not get them all?

Looks like some things are (well so far basically everything) is out of stock..  but yea i've ordered a harmony.. and on notification list for PlusCart.   the speech thing looks pretty cool too.   I appreciate the prices for these devices are reasonably priced for what they do.   

On 3/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, Al_Nafuur said:

or with the UCA firmware

is this something that is not just a basic firmware update from the website?  I i ran the update.bin from the unocart site, but maybe there's a deeper update somewhere?  when i did update it still seems like the characters in the rom menus are pretty large..  

4 hours ago, batari said:

Neither of these need the SaveKey or AtariVox to save data.

Yea i'm looking more for something like these..  something that can serve many games.  I don't buy one off carts.. only roms.  I know this limits access to some great games, but the space and cost is just where I have to draw the line with my hobby :)   I love that they release carts though.  If I get my home brew chops I'd probably ironically be happy to sell a cart..  heh heh.   though I'd likely still do a digital release too. 

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Hope that helps!

It certainly does!  I'll have to get one of these too..  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keatah said:

Since there is no one "best" multi-cart, why not get them all?

That's the spirit - that's what guarantees we keep getting more new toys!  I like toys, I buy toys, more toys go on sale, I get more toys!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I like toys, I buy toys, more toys go on sale, I get more toys!!!

Toys?  I make toy..  you like?  =D    7800 coming soon.. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1usjY5Ahwqlx-2dT7lpo4jxzg31vcWVTkExFVqXxTMio/edit?usp=sharing

5200.thumb.JPG.e63cff0eb8f0864b81f19707346e2d0c.JPG     1978229804_2600SpyHunter.thumb.jpg.ba91f9b54852518306f91e7355a9804d.jpg501772309_2600robotron.thumb.jpg.3e2af66082f0cce9892080a31f657df9.jpg

Edited by Caleb Garner
  • Like 2