IGNORED

Atari Lynx RELIEF PITCHER eBay

bradockido

Hello everyone

I found this sale on eBay:

Atari Lynx RELIEF PITCHER original limited release CIB NOS

What do you think about the price? I have that game and I'm surprised to see it because it's very rare. Maybe it may be interesting for some of you.

I also have the game HotDog and a person has offered me money if I leave it to do repros. I'm not interested, what do you think about repros? 

Regards!!!!

Edited by bradockido

17 minutes ago, 42bs said:

This is crazy! Anyone who pais 700€ for this should check her/his mental health.

🤣

The problem is the rise in retro prices, at least in Spain, people ask for a lot of money for anything old

17 minutes ago, Trew said:

Yeah, that's ridiculous.

I have the game and I maybe paid MAX a 10th of that and it wasn't all that long ago.

II paid when it went on sale $40, I understand that now they ask for more money, but this is abusive

Are you Spanish too? It's hard to find Spaniards collecting Lynx  😀

35 minutes ago, bradockido said:

🤣

The problem is the rise in retro prices, at least in Spain, people ask for a lot of money for anything old

II paid when it went on sale $40, I understand that now they ask for more money, but this is abusive

Are you Spanish too? It's hard to find Spaniards collecting Lynx  😀

I'm not Spanish but I live here. Valencia specifically (you?)

I have learned here that they ask for high amount when selling, offer half when buying lol.

Just now, Trew said:

I'm not Spanish but I live here. Valencia specifically (you?)

I have learned here that they ask for high amount when selling, offer half when buying lol.

Hi

I live in a village in Madrid :)

Yes, there are people who think they are very intelligent and intend to do business at the expense of others.

It's what is guaranteed to happen when people suppress distribution of games. I understand keeping Zaku out of circulation as that is authentic homebrew, but Relief Pitcher and Hot Dog and Poker were developed on Atari's dime and the Beta Phase releases were illegal bootlegs. Then again, nobody would really want to play these anyway.

I'm totally against distributing games illegally and anyone with a good position and a bit of money should be on the same page (I'm more cool with kiddos doing that, I did it too as a pennyless teenager).

And whether it's a AAA or a small homebrew game should not make a difference really.

Now when it comes to protecting developers (and publishers) rights, a difference can and should be made (imho) between commercial games and unreleased (and often forgotten) ones.

To me freeing games like Relief Pitcher or Hot Dog won't do any harm - especially considering their broken state - and I would even advocate that releasing them to the community is the best hommage we can do to their original developers: that their work and art is alive again.

• Like 2

With 700$, I could buy more than half of songbird Lynx catalog, and I would get 12 (or more) new enjoyable games

(to put on a shelf and resell for 700$ each when they will be discountinued of course :D)

I don't really care of unfinished protos, but it always hurt me when I saw guys making money with homebrewers work against ttheir wishes...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sage said:

define "release": somebody dumped the rom and put it for dl? There may be reasons you dont find them in the atariage or other cataloges.

It may have very well been dumped, but I've never seen in available anywhere.

For $700 I would make you a half working prototype of your choice! 

Off-topic.. I saw a YouTube video of a guy explaining why retro game collecting has been ruined and prices skyrocketed. All about investors artificially inflating the price (looking at you, Wata Games). This practice is awful. 

I wonder if that's the reason why the Lynx price also keeps increasing..

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Off-topic.. I saw a YouTube video of a guy explaining why retro game collecting has been ruined and prices skyrocketed. All about investors artificially inflating the price (looking at you, Wata Games). This practice is awful. 

I wonder if that's the reason why the Lynx price also keeps increasing..

I'm sure the 'investor collectors' have raised prices a bit, but I think it's also a lot of rich tech nerds with money to blow buying up pieces of their childhood that they couldn't afford back in the day.  Retro gaming is also trendy now so you get a lot of people who probably would never have gotten into it on their own jumping in and trying to buy instant collections.  All the hype from news outlets with headlines like "Your old NES games might be worth millions!" contributes to the high prices too.  I honestly think the classic gaming market is due to a major crash once people move onto the next era of games or whatever the new hotness is.  Remember when action figures were popular and collectable in the late 90's/early 2000's?  All those people paying hundreds for Star Wars figures that were still being produced?  Try getting $10-$15 for those now.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 6:55 PM, LordKraken said:

To be fair the programmer in me would love to see this proto being reworked

Actually, that would not be too hard to do either as the inner code looks very familiar. My guess is that the same guy wrote Fat Bobby as well. Fat Bobbys stretched attacks with a bass guitar has very similar extended movements as Hot Dog. Could the graphics guy be the same?

But because of copyright reasons you cannot continue with the development of the game.

• Like 1