IGNORED

is there a way of adding more ram to famicom basic?

4k just isnt enough. ive seen projects online that do this in hardware. could it be done? and if so, how? i imagine it would be a case of changing some of the assembly code to point to a larger location in memory. i.e by making the cart bigger? any help would be welcomed. 

I'm not sure about physically adding more RAM to the cart, but could you modify the BASIC rom itself and expand the amount of RAM when run in an emulator or from a flash cart?  I run FB from my PowerPak and imagine that image could be hacked somehow.

On 3/30/2023 at 3:08 PM, Tempest said:

I'm not sure about physically adding more RAM to the cart, but could you modify the BASIC rom itself and expand the amount of RAM when run in an emulator or from a flash cart?  I run FB from my PowerPak and imagine that image could be hacked somehow.

thanks

7 hours ago, Mr SQL said:

I saw an article somewhere about expanding the RAM in the BASIC cartridge up to 24K, not sure if the mod was for the 2K or the 4K release.

Deleting REM statements and using reusable subroutines can also help maximize Memory in large programs.

i have got something to work, i found it by accident. its called familybasic by TAKEDA toshiya. it allows 16k in basic but i cant find a way of pasting a program into it or using another program to paste into it, to save it on a format that it recognizes. the 16k basic is developed by Mr.Makimura. http://rdev.php.xdomain.jp/makimura/archive/family-basic

Edited by xxx
  • Like 2