IGNORED

Space Taxi - A8B version

Andreatari

29 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Looks good, though I know little of this game and it's history.

How's the speech done?  It seems a bit distorted as if using delay loops instead of Pokey timers (which would probably help it considerably)

Not sure, but I laughed when I played the video and wasn't watching the screen - I could tell right away what the character was saying.

I know in the C64 version, the speech is very similar.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rdefabri said:

Not sure, but I laughed when I played the video and wasn't watching the screen - I could tell right away what the character was saying.

I know in the C64 version, the speech is very similar.

On the c64 it sounds like all the voices were done by someone who was a heavy smoker.

• Haha 3

About the speech, first of all I have to thank @shanti77 for his help 😊
I modified part of his code to have a good speech in different pitches and without spoiling the many DLIs.
I use Pokey but probably the result could be better using 'clean' recordings... Currently in my version I use the original game audio re-sampled (Encoding=Unsigned 8-bit PCM at 3889hz) and this could return too much distortion... I decided to use the original speeches because they have been recorded personally by John Kutcher in the 80s 😉

Edited by Andreatari
  • Like 9

31 minutes ago, Andreatari said:

About the speech, first of all I have to thank @shanti77 for his help 😊
I modified part of his code to have a good speech in different pitches and without spoiling the many DLIs.
I use Pokey but probably the result could be better using 'clean' recordings... Currently in my version I use the original game audio re-sampled (Encoding=Unsigned 8-bit PCM at 3889hz) and this could return too much distortion... I decided to use the original speeches because they have been recorded personally by John Kutcher in the 80s 😉

They sound authentic to the original, which is why I like the way you implemented them!  Awesome job!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, MARIO130XE said:

Ehm.. sorry, but is there any progress regarding the release? 😚

scared fear GIF by Carlotta Notaro

Definitely yes... 😎

An Exclusive World Premiere in ZeroPage Homebrew pages is planned on Friday 26th May
You can check the scheduled time here:

A complete and working Beta version of the game will be presented and played live 👍
During the week after the Premiere it will be possible to download the A8B Beta version... stay tuned 🤩 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

EXCLUSIVE WORLD PREMIERE of SPACE TAXI (A8)

TOMORROW on ZeroPage Homebrew

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing the Exclusive World Premiere of Space Taxi along with a written interview with developer Andrea on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH IN 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Saw this via ZPH on YouTube. Super impressive! Wonderful news this game is finally getting ported over. Always good to see some Space Taxi love. 😎

Unfortunately, I don't have any Atari computers, so I just hope you please consider a future 5200 conversion as well. 🙏

Besides Atari & C64 machines, I can only hope it'll get ported to the ColecoVision and maybe Intellivision eventually.. Some of us have been dreaming of seeing this title on those platforms for years. 🤞

An NES port would be sweet too! Love me some Space Taxi. Anyway, great job and keep up the great work!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Saw this via ZPH on YouTube. Super impressive! Wonderful news this game is finally getting ported over. Always good to see some Space Taxi love. 😎

Unfortunately, I don't have any Atari computers, so I just hope you please consider a future 5200 conversion as well. 🙏

.. 🤞

Just download Altirra emulator on your Windows pc/lappy and play away. Or buy an Atari. 😁

https://www.virtualdub.org/altirra.html

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Besides Atari & C64 machines, I can only hope it'll get ported to the ColecoVision and maybe Intellivision eventually.. Some of us have been dreaming of seeing this title on those platforms for years. 🤞

An NES port would be sweet too! Love me some Space Taxi. Anyway, great job and keep up the great work!

Agreed. The 5200 can always use new games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, miker said:

Is there download of Space Taxi available somewhere btw.?

Hi miker,

Thanks to @ZeroPage Homebrew, last friday we had a great World Premiere of the game 😎
According to the plans the most recent Beta version of the game will be distributed before the end of this month in the webpages of @Philsan.
Obviously, the link will be published here in AtariAge forum 💪

Just to inform you all:
today I've realized the new Beta 2.1 in which I've corrected the bug we have seen during the Premiere (and another couple of minor problems) and I try also to mitigate the level 24 difficulties modifying the gravity and making some bricks smaller to give more space to the Taxi in some narrow passage.
I'm sure that when the game will be available to all Atarians I'll receive other important feedback to better the game 😊

We're almost reach the goal... Stay tuned
Coming Soon Watch GIF by Gadi Schwartz NBC News

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just watched the ZeroPage video and WOW! This conversion looks great! This was one of my favorites to play when I was a kid on my friend's C64. I had an 800XL, but was a little jealous of some of the C64 exclusives including this one. Almost 40 hours later and I'm jealous no more! LOL! Hoping this makes a proper boxed release. Would love this on the shelf. :)

Edited by mattsoft
  • Like 4

I am happy to announce that the first public beta version of Andrea Cucchetto's Space Taxi conversion is available in the Italian language website dedicated to Atari 8-bit computers: https://www.santellocco.com/atari/spacetaxi.htm

BTW, Jay Miner, one of the main designers of the Atari 400/800, was born today, ninety-one years ago.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8