IGNORED

Got a Mega STe (again)

I got massively lucky in 2016. Got a mint in box Mega STe with SC1224 monitor for $400. Since I already have a mighty SC1435 (since 1991 or so), I sold the SC1224, so you can technically say that I got the MSTe for under $300. It is probably my favorite computer, and I have 24. Glad to hear that you own one again!

Edited by Zap!
  • Like 3

On 4/8/2023 at 1:27 PM, macatari said:

I’m so excited! I had a Mega STe from 1992 to 1995 and now I have one again. My story:

https://www.goto10retro.com/p/finding-a-mega-ste

Did you get the recent one that went for 456 Euros? It was tempting for me but I just had a big surprise bill, I was surprised to see it sell so low with a Matrix M128 graphics card.

4 minutes ago, Wayneb123 said:

Did you get the recent one that went for 456 Euros? It was tempting for me but I just had a big surprise bill, I was surprised to see it sell so low with a Matrix M128 graphics card.

Nope, that's not the one I got. A graphics card would have been cool, though.

I recently acquired a mega st 4 for a relatively reasonable price… i like the separate keyboard from the rest of the computer - but i have to say the mega ste/tt30 form factor is one of the most sexy case designs i’ve ever seen. Bar none.

• Like 4

I had a MSTE about 2 decades ago, I got it from a market stall for £80. It had a problem though, when plugged into a colour monitor it would still try to display the high resolution mode and nearly fried my SC1224. I couldn't find a way to fix it so I sold it.

I personally prefer the original Mega ST case design, looks great with a Megafile on top and the monitors. I have a Mega 2 where the case was cut to fit a standard STFM drive in there which is annoying. Can't remember which keyboard I prefer but both are very high quality. Again, the original Mega keyboard with rhomboid function keys is the one I prefer the look of as well. 

I have 2 or 3 Megas, and 2 MSTE units. The autobooting HDD and HD floppy is very useful on my MSTEs and they are my fav' to use. The 16mhz CPU is very useful for some games too just to give it a little bit of a boost. When I have some space to set up more machines I will set up my MSTE and matching mono monitor along with a 14" Trinitron + SCART RGB cable for colour use and load up the drive with some of my fav' games and applications like Neochrome etc. 

Having a hard drive makes all the difference for non gaming creative stuff.