IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

That's a problem because it would need more ROM and the Atari 2600 can only do 6 digits in a row without flicker. And even the code for that 6 digit routine would require more ROM than I have left.

Ah, didn't know that, anyway also works the current way.

PS: "Fliege mit dem Hubschrauber durch die endlose, gefährliche Höhle ohne irgendwo anzustoßen!" ist doch ein geiler Titel, nur hat man dann schon das kb fast voll..... ;)

Zur Not kann ich's ja abkürzen: FMDHDDEGHOIA. :D

Lol, klingt gut :)

I liked the gameplay from the first version, but small "improvements" havent hurt any. I can't comment on the sound, yet, though. It looks like the only way that I'll hear it is to use my Cuttle Cart. (For some reason z26 and my SoundBlaster Live don't seem to mix :sad: )

Possible name idea: since it takes "thumbs of steel" and takes place in a cave, how about Caves of Steel ? :D

Thomas said -

EDIT: Added updated version 1.03.

Darn, I already burned the earlier version to a chip and soldered it to a board. I labeled the cart 'Cave' so at least in my house that's the official name.

I like the early version, but I'll make a cart of the final version as well. (Assuming there ever is a final version) :D

Chuck

This is a strangely addicting game.  :)

It has everything that makes an Atari game good : simple to learn yet hard to master, fast and furious game play, eye catching colors, and great sound FX. Plus, the gravity feels “right”, if you know what I mean. It takes just slightly longer to lift than it takes to fall and you fall fast but not too fast. It’s great fun! I see this one selling well if, indeed, it is released in cartridge form and at a price point from $15-$20.

Hi Thomas,

I tried it with my supercharger too. When pressing the button to start the game the screen goes crazy. Here's a screenshot in case it helps.

I think you did a really great job on this. I was thinking of trying a very simplified version before I start working on my first game. Maybe I still will. I can study your code anyways.

-Tom Dunn

cave1kwacky.JPG

The SuperCharger problems are most likely resulting from accessing the SC bankswitching hotspots.

I'm not 100% sure about this, because I only use a 2K ROM format (the 1st K being unused) and I thought the hotspots are at the end of the last K. I'll ask around and see what I can do.

BTW: Thanks for all the nice names and lables, but currently I will solely concentrate on the gameplay and possible extensions.

Hey Thomas,

Sorry if I helped foster this whole naming culture, I hear your frustration on stella.

But I'm a little unclear about how much you're willing to edit. you mentioned that you want to keep it under 1K? Do you have much room for any improvements? Or are you willing to do a multiple game select version, with like the "shrinking" cave as well?

Hey Thomas,

Sorry if I helped foster this whole naming culture, I hear your frustration on stella.

j/k :D

Though feedback on the game itself is highly prefered now.

But I'm a little unclear about how much you're willing to edit. you mentioned that you want to keep it under 1K? Do you have much room for any improvements? Or are you willing to do a multiple game select version, with like the "shrinking" cave as well?

I definitely will finish the 1K version first. And if there are enough good ideas for a 4K version I probably will make one. All suggestions are welcome.