IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

I got my Supercharger in the mail yesterday and am finally able to load Cave1k, Splatform, Robot City, and many other various hacks and brews on my VCS! I thought I dug the game before, but now I think I'm in :love: !

I couldn't even pass one level in Splatform on an emulator, and was frustrated quickly. It is so much better on the original hardware!

Back on topic... The moving pillars in the latest version of Cave1k are a great addition! :thumbsup: 8) Have you decided on a name for the game when it is put onto cartridge?

@Thomas: You rule! :-D

• 10 months later...

I hope this isn't too far off topic...

I wish someone would update Stella or port one of the other 2600 emulators to OS X.  :)

I heard that because OS X is basically linux, that linux programs can run on OS X. I don't have OS X so I can't try this myself but I'm wondering if the source code for z26 or stella would compile on OS X ? Then there wouldn't be a need for a seperate port.

I did a quick search and found a couple of web pages that discuss linux and OS X.

Compiling Gimp for OS X may be way more complicated that compiling z26, but it shows that it can be done.

http://howto.macgimp.org/

Here is another page that discusses OS X and Linux

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/guides/planetccrma/OS_X.html

Jim

I hope this isn't too far off topic...

I wish someone would update Stella or port one of the other 2600 emulators to OS X.  :)

I heard that because OS X is basically linux, that linux programs can run on OS X. I don't have OS X so I can't try this myself but I'm wondering if the source code for z26 or stella would compile on OS X ? Then there wouldn't be a need for a seperate port.

Since I posted that initial comment, Version 1.4 of Stella was released for Windows, OS X, and Linux. The OS X version of Stella is now up to date with the other platforms and is now really the only viable 2600 emulator under OS X. A new update was released a few days ago that improves stability as well, and fixes a few other issues. :)

..Al

• 2 years later...

I work in an elementary school with kids who have various disabilities...

I took my stelladapter and a thumb drive with z26 in to school (for the kids to play during free time). I chose Cave1k because of the controls and playability - It was an instant hit!

I guess it was silly of me, but I warned the kids ahead of time that the graphics might not be what they are used to seeing in a video game. One of the kids made me proud by saying, "I don't care about graphics! I have a Pac-Man game I play on my television at home and I think it is as fun as playing my friend's PS2!" :)

Just thought I'd share.

/edit/

I almost forgot this part... The same kid recognized the Atari joystick immediately. He said, "Is that from the Atari 2600?" I said, "Yeah, have you played one before?" He said, "No, but I saw it on the History Channel!" HAHA - I felt so old.

Edited by mojofltr

I work in an elementary school with kids who have various disabilities...

I took my stelladapter and a thumb drive with z26 in to school (for the kids to play during free time). I chose Cave1k because of the controls and playability - It was an instant hit!

Thank you, you just made my day! :)

Haha I can't believe this game has come up in conversation again. Splatform is very good, but Cave is maybe the best piece of 1K programming I've ever seen. I'm hoping that there is a third instalment in this series of 1K classics; even if it means paying for it this time that wouldn't bother me.

Haha I can't believe this game has come up in conversation again. Splatform is very good, but Cave is maybe the best piece of 1K programming I've ever seen. I'm hoping that there is a third instalment in this series of 1K classics; even if it means paying for it this time that wouldn't bother me.

Your wish is granted.

http://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?ma...products_id=329

• 8 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...
5 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

6 years later

Great game, Mr. Thomas!  (I just saw it now.)  The moving walls (right difficulty A) are diabolical!  :evil:  

Thanks! :) 

5 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

By any chance, are there instructions for this game anywhere?  

The game has become part of SWOOPS!, a mini game collection. Here you can find some instructions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Thanks! :) 

The game has become part of SWOOPS!, a mini game collection. Here you can find some instructions.

We recently played Swoops! during our Atari Party Night. The three games are lots of fun and make for a great party game cart.

1. Splatform is highly addictive. Everyone wanted to “try one more time”.

2. Crash n’ Dive is a fast but fun twitch game and makes excellent use of the paddle controller.

3. Cave 1k was the reason I originally purchased my copy, but again I really enjoy all three games.

Btw, I really like the manual art/layout too. 🙂

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Since this topic got revived from the dead, I thought this was as good of a time as any to show off my one-of-a-kind PhillyClassic 5 prototype carts. 😎

cave 1k.jpg

splatform.jpg

swoops.jpg

• Like 4