IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

Looking at the renders a bit more closely, it appears as though only the lower half of the case has seen changes.  Conceivably, this might allow for reusing an existing 800XL upper half (at the expense of the lower).

Either way, until units are in buyers' hands, it's a moot point.

• Like 2

Looking at the top there do appear to be some differences compared to my Hong Kong made 800XL.  The Space bar doesn't line up with the Z key the same and the buttons on the right hand side of the case and smoked plastic come down to the bottom of the case.  This is different from mine.  Looks interesting, if it runs and plays like the original

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Looking at the renders a bit more closely

Forgive me for being skeptical, but these don't look like renderings. All the raised lettering around the ports still has the brown gunk from the cheese-doodle fingered nerd that owned it 40 years ago embedded. Also, the domain "revive-machines.com" was only registered a couple of months ago. Seems odd...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Iguana Bob said:

Also, the domain "revive-machines.com" was only registered a couple of months ago. Seems odd...

Not really.  It fits the pattern perfectly:

• Announce retro-themed project
  • Crickets
  • ???
  • PROFIT!

In any event, they haven't taken money from anyone for it yet (as far as we know), so even if it is just a pipe dream it's no big deal.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Not really.  It fits the pattern perfectly:

• Announce retro-themed project
  • Crickets
  • ???
  • PROFIT!

In any event, they haven't taken money from anyone for it yet (as far as we know), so even if it is just a pipe dream it's no big deal.

Maybe a kick starter campaign can be launched to buy tacos.  No - I mean build a community?  This is a neat idea - and as you say, nobody is asking for money, so I am watching with interest.  I am owed nothing - I either get a chance to buy something cool, or maybe it inspires someone else to do something similar.  It's really an overall win (or I am in an extremely giddy mood because I am off work until the 24th :) )

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

Relax. There have been similar projects where actual machines where delivered, the ZX Spectrum Next (https://www.specnext.com) and Mega65 (https://mega65.org). I think they will probably first develop the board and try to produce cases with keyboards at a later point when enough interest is there.

There's also the ZX Spectrum Vega+, Coleco Chameleon, and others.  Nobody's saying that the Revive is a scam, but rather that projects like this have a history of being ambitious but unfulfilled at the end of the day.  Time will tell.

A person involded in this projekt is well know in polish atari community (Larek), he has many finished projects (software/games/hardware) in resume. Im very optymistic (and its a dreammachine - I just hope it has "enhanced" mode with something cool like zx spectrum next has).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Geister said:

I was hoping enhanced mode = 80 column mode and 320 X 200 X 256 color mode.

VBXE - for the past 12 years.  Don't re-invent the wheel.  Push for what we have had for ages.

Text Mode:

Graphics Mode:

• Like 4

This is seriously much ado about nothing, and TBH I'm pretty surprised that it's gotten this much attention.

We know LITERALLY nothing about this alleged machine. NOTHING. The only thing we've been fed so far are a few renderings on a slick-looking web page. Nothing objectively verifiable about it exists anywhere. All of these ancillary "sources" -- web pages, YouTube videos, etc -- are 100% speculation and hype. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING concrete about this. Seriously, give me a couple of days to set up a WordPress site with some shiny graphics and I can come up with the "RM 130XE" that'll be more believable than this.

You know what this reminds me of? CherryOS. Anyone else remember CherryOS? It was emulator that was announced in the early 00's whose claim to fame was its ability to run PowerPC software, and specifically Mac OS -- at 80% the speed of actual hardware. The scammers folks behind that scam made all kind of claims that were either (a) completely false or (b) wildly inflated. Shortly before its impending release it was redefined as an open source project ("due to overwhelming demand") and almost immediately thereafter completely abandoned.

At best -- and I personally put the odds of this at less than 2% -- we'll see a Raspberry Pi-type logic board paired with some kind of homemade interface card with the physical interfaces (cartridge, joystick, SIO, etc) and a combination of custom software and a modified open source emulator to make everything mostly work together. It'll be built into a low-quality but overpriced chassis designed to endear itself to the nostalgia crowd. If it sells for under $500 I'd be amazed.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, SlagOMatic said:

This is seriously much ado about nothing, and TBH I'm pretty surprised that it's gotten this much attention.

We know LITERALLY nothing about this alleged machine. NOTHING. The only thing we've been fed so far are a few renderings on a slick-looking web page. Nothing objectively verifiable about it exists anywhere. All of these ancillary "sources" -- web pages, YouTube videos, etc -- are 100% speculation and hype. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING concrete about this. Seriously, give me a couple of days to set up a WordPress site with some shiny graphics and I can come up with the "RM 130XE" that'll be more believable than this.

You know what this reminds me of? CherryOS. Anyone else remember CherryOS? It was emulator that was announced in the early 00's whose claim to fame was its ability to run PowerPC software, and specifically Mac OS -- at 80% the speed of actual hardware. The scammers folks behind that scam made all kind of claims that were either (a) completely false or (b) wildly inflated. Shortly before its impending release it was redefined as an open source project ("due to overwhelming demand") and almost immediately thereafter completely abandoned.

At best -- and I personally put the odds of this at less than 2% -- we'll see a Raspberry Pi-type logic board paired with some kind of homemade interface card with the physical interfaces (cartridge, joystick, SIO, etc) and a combination of custom software and a modified open source emulator to make everything mostly work together. It'll be built into a low-quality but overpriced chassis designed to endear itself to the nostalgia crowd. If it sells for under $500 I'd be amazed.

This is why I'd like to see a picture of the system board.  Without this picture, everything could be just as you describe.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SlagOMatic said:

Do you have finished hardware and software projects with good quality in your resume? Because as I said earlier - a well know person (Larek) is involved in this project (and there are more peoples). His last hardware stuff was Joycart (arcade stick with carts for all platforms):

http://www.retronagazie.eu/sprzet-joycart-testowanie-prototypowego-joysticka/

(its in polish, just use deepl/google translate)

He is also author of well know game Laura, and got his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@larek/videos

his website (you can see the RM800XL icon there):

https://www.arsoft.netstrefa.pl/

and its only one person im talking about.

CherryOS PI my ass, he is very reliable person not a "yoooo yolo lets make random page with project and then drop it". 

My odds are uber different than yours - mines are based of some information and facts your are pure from assknowledge.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

Do you have finished hardware and software projects with good quality in your resume? Because as I said earlier - a well know person (Larek) is involved in this project (and there are more peoples). His last hardware stuff was Joycart (arcade stick with carts for all platforms):

http://www.retronagazie.eu/sprzet-joycart-testowanie-prototypowego-joysticka/

(its in polish, just use deepl/google translate)

He is also author of well know game Laura, and got his youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/@larek/videos

his website (you can see the RM800XL icon there):

https://www.arsoft.netstrefa.pl/

and its only one person im talking about.

CherryOS PI my ass, he is very reliable person not a "yoooo yolo lets make random page with project and then drop it". 

My odds are uber different than yours - mines are based of some information and facts your are pure from assknowledge.

Thank you for further proving my point, albeit in an unnecessarily crass and lowbrow way.

My "assknowledge" (your crowning achievement of personal insults, I'm sure) points out that so far we have exactly zero objectively verifiable facts about this alleged project, and that without said facts this whole thing smells exactly like the sort of hyped-up pipe dream the internet has seen time and time again.

You take offense to that, and by way of "proof" you -- someone who is not involved in the project in any way, shape, or form -- point out that a person is involved with this alleged project was also involved with another (different, unrelated) project, wrote a video game, has a YouTube channel, and has a web site.

Okay, great. Bravo. Let's assume that your claims are true, because quite frankly I have neither the time nor the crayons to get into that debate with you as well.

In what way does ANY of what you just wrote provide any objectively verifiable facts about this alleged project?

Am I supposed to go, "Oh, he wrote a video game, therefore I have no basis to question the lack of information about this alleged project?"

Or, "Holy crap, he's got a YouTube channel! Clearly nobody needs to know how this alleged project is supposed to work!"

Provide facts. Show us proof. A circuit diagram. A parts list. The name of the processor that's being used. A picture of the logic board. The name of the supplier for the case and keyboard. A targeted timeline for prototype production, manufacture, and release date. (Hell, if he's got a YouTube channel, where's the proof-of-concept video?) ANYTHING that can be objectively measured against the yardstick given on that web site. Where is it? Because as much as it galls you to hear it, your claims of "he's a known guy! that should be enough!" are NOT, in fact, enough.

Edited by SlagOMatic
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

As my last words for you: there are veterans behind these projects (even if it fails - let's be it) that have a good deal of finished stuff. If they're going to be ready to show more information - they're going to. How the f you know it wasn't on the move for example 3 last years? And who the f are you in Atari scene/community/hardware to bashing it just for bashing purpose? A random dude. "Hoho I will show you all my knowledge it's scam fake haha let's make a website with 130XE". Who would believe random like you? A big difference. So - EOT and bye from me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

Stop yelling and crying.

@SlagOMatic What @solo/ng said.  Why you're getting so bent out of shape over this really makes no sense.

Oh, and had you bothered to read the rest of the thread, you'd be aware that every point of your rants has already been covered, albeit in ways that don't come across as obnoxious.  Good job on starting with the volume at 11 when a 3 would have been more appropriate.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1