IGNORED

New Atari 800XL Revive Machine?

ojanhk

54 minutes ago, solo/ng said:

"assknowledge"

🤣

2 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

This is why I'd like to see a picture of the system board

If you look closely at these alleged "renderings" you can see clear through the bottom vent holes to the other side. It's a photo of an empty OEM case. There is no board in it whatsoever. All of the ports, SIO, joystick, USB etc has been "shopped" in.

• Like 1

The discussions about new cases started long ago, then keyboards, and then since this much had been looked into... why not just go all the way? If its the same project I am thinking of the discussion also included selling the case etc on it's own as a replacement for the original and might have a little more height making upgrades more easily fit, you could buy a top or a bottom or both. Who needs retro bright when you have brand new case to replace you dropped cracked broken one, or if you built your own 800XL wit new PCB etc. Why not wait and see? Every project seems to get hit with this crap before we can get to see it and we wonder why people lose heart...  I wait until stuff appears and judge it based on what we get. I might give opinion to improve things during development. But once it's in our hands it'll be all about what we have got in our hands.

You can keep the original case safe and hack on the new one, or keep your original completely intact and safe... while using the completely new set up.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

This is why I'd like to see a picture of the system board.  Without this picture, everything could be just as you describe.

Me too ;)

Lot's of hype, but no substance as far as I can see. Not trying to bash anything by saying this, but I would think some pics of the preliminary PCB prototype would do a lot to let everyone know this has all the makings of something real. I think I can accurately say that all of the new systems I was involved with presented documentation of their progress online along the way. There were lots of pics and some videos of not only the finished product, but also of the PCB prototypes and failures on the journey. This left very little doubt that what I was creating was intended to be a real working breathing computer, and only when it was done did it take its place on my website (although some discussion of the proposed design(s) and/or prototypes did occur in a blog on my website beginning in January 2021).

Here's my AtariAge project resume...

• Like 5

I’m a bit disappointed here: I started this thread to share about this project I discovered on FB and try to get more information.

There is not much information, that’s true, but no one is asking for money either.
So maybe it will never deliver, maybe it will, time will tell. 

Now if someone is not interested or not believing it can happen, why not simply skip this thread and let the others discuss calmly about it ? Direct bashing of a new project doesn’t help motivate people trying to build new stuff for this retro niche. Next time I’ll see some project I find interesting, I’m not sure I will post about it.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

@SlagOMatic What @solo/ng said.  Why you're getting so bent out of shape over this really makes no sense.

Oh, and had you bothered to read the rest of the thread, you'd be aware that every point of your rants has already been covered, albeit in ways that don't come across as obnoxious.  Good job on starting with the volume at 11 when a 3 would have been more appropriate.

One, I'm not "bent out of shape" over this. At all. As I said earlier, this is much ado about nothing.

Two, I've read this thread in its entirety and found no objectively verifiable hard evidence for the existence of this alleged project. I'm willing to concede I've missed it. Whose messages did I miss?

And three, as far as "starting with the volume at 11", I think that's a matter of opinion. I thought my previous post was simple and fact-based, and given that the only thing I've gotten in response from that are personal attacks and projected accusations -- and again, zero verifiable information about this alleged project -- I would have to disagree with your assessment.

Look, I get that I'm the middle of Atari Fanboy Central and as such there are people who get hurt over even the merest suggestion that things aren't exactly as they appear to be on the surface. I've been a Mac user for nearly 35 years so I know how die-hard fanboys instinctively react.  🙂  If you want to talk about "turning it up to 11" just step back and take a look at what's happened here. All I did is point out that there's been an incredible response over nothing more than a couple of shiny pictures and a vague wish list, and look at the response it's garnered.

Just now, SlagOMatic said:

One, I'm not "bent out of shape" over this.

That's certainly the perception you're giving off.

Just now, SlagOMatic said:

Two, I've read this thread in its entirety and found no objectively verifiable hard evidence for the existence of this alleged project. I'm willing to concede I've missed it. Whose messages did I miss?

What you missed is that nobody has said that it exists.  At most, people have agreed that it would be an interesting thing to see happen, but where you would be getting the idea that anyone is under illusions that this is anything more than a set of pictures at this point is really unclear.

2 minutes ago, SlagOMatic said:

And three, as far as "starting with the volume at 11", I think that's a matter of opinion.

And observation.

2 minutes ago, SlagOMatic said:

I thought my previous post was simple and fact-based, and given that the only thing I've gotten in response from that are personal attacks and projected accusations -- and again, zero verifiable information about this alleged project -- I would have to disagree with your assessment.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree with my assessment, but I seem to recall that I wasn't the only one who reached the same conclusion.

This is not a point that I'm going to go in circles with you on; your posts in this thread speak for themselves, and not favourably so.

4 minutes ago, SlagOMatic said:

Look, I get that I'm the middle of Atari Fanboy Central and as such there are people who get hurt over even the merest suggestion that things aren't exactly as they appear to be on the surface. I've been a Mac user for nearly 35 years so I know how die-hard fanboys instinctively react.  🙂  If you want to talk about "turning it up to 11" just step back and take a look at what's happened here. All I did is point out that there's been an incredible response over nothing more than a couple of shiny pictures and a vague wish list, and look at the response it's garnered.

Go back and re-read the thread.  Hopefully you'll then understand why you've received the replies that you have.  If not, good luck with the approach that you've chosen; it's sure to serve you well :roll:

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

That's certainly the perception you're giving off.

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. The only thing I really did was point out that there's been quite a bit of hype over a project that doesn't exist and has no information given about it. Oh, and I also pointed out that there's been similar "hype projects" in the past that have followed the same formula (lots of flash, no substance) which have come to naught. If that's being "bent out of shape" then, well, okay. I disagree, but okay.

What you missed is that nobody has said that it exists. 

I'm not sure I could have missed that since that's the point of what I'd originally written, but again I suppose we'll have to disagree.

Of course, you're welcome to disagree with my assessment, but I seem to recall that I wasn't the only one who reached the same conclusion

Popularity is only a guarantee of popularity, nothing more.

Go back and re-read the thread.  Hopefully you'll then understand why you've received the replies that you have. 

Oh, believe me, I do understand. As I said, I'm no stranger to an environment of die-hard fanboys.

Thank you, at least, for being civil.

Edited by SlagOMatic

I see folks saying that this is just creating hype. Well to be fair to the project creators, whoever they may be, they don’t seem to have written a word about this anywhere. Any existing hype comes from @Philsan’s posts on social media and the existence of this thread. I for one am indeed hyped about the potential and look forward to more information from the original source as it becomes available.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, P1r said:

I see folks saying that this is just creating hype. Well to be fair to the project creators, whoever they may be, they don’t seem to have written a word about this anywhere. Any existing hype comes from @Philsan’s posts on social media and the existence of this thread.

Well also to be fair... this video that was linked to earlier is certainly by someone who is very hyped about the possibility.

But yes you are absolutely correct that the project creators haven't said a thing in this thread. However they did create a webpage and published it in a way that all can see that certainly has all the earmarks of trying to stir up interest. But is little more than a tease at present since there isn't anything besides a case render with a few USB ports and an HDMI port, as well as a cursory description of what the unit is suppose to bring.

Now mind you there is nothing inherently wrong with the approach that was taken in that webpage, and it is quite common in advertising to promote 'hype' for something to come. Opps there's that word again. So I'd say that plan is already working ;)

Anyway I think the reason why people respond poorly to this, has a lot to do with all the other times this has been done without anything actually coming from it. And although no money has been taken or asked for, it still plays on people's emotions, good and bad.

• Like 4

I love Poland and its thriving Atari scene. 800XL though? I mean I get it, it was popular but... How about something mouth-wateringly Atariliscious?

I'd REALLY love a 1450XLD build with a 65 or 75% mech keyboard. There would be lots of room for fitting Raspberry Pi / DE-10 to ITX, a couple 5 1/4 bay or a 5 1/4 bay with a PCI Riser in place of the disk storage area.Even a 3D printable model would be quite satisfying. I'd have a model built already but I'm less than a novice.

1450 case and that new monitor from the Amiga guys would be an incredible pairing.

Cool news nonetheless! Maybe it will inspire someone to look at the 1450.

Edited by Noelio
  • Like 3

Even if this project never sees the light of day and turns out to be vaporware, I have been introduced to a new term:

Assknowledge 

and I for one, am better for it. Now I wait and watch for the glorious moment when I am able to use this sublime vernacularism.

Edited by Havok69
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, mytek said:

Well also to be fair... this video that was linked to earlier is certainly by someone who is very hyped about the possibility.

1 hour ago, Luis Montbau said:

Also, TJ Ferreira talks about it in YouTube:

Neither of these videos help at all.  They're both presented by someone with a lot to talk about and nothing to say, and given how little information there is about the project at present it's difficult to see why they even exist short of monetising attention.

In a way, both do a good job of unintentionally illustrating certain aspects of things that commonly suck about retrocomputing YouTube content, but that's a completely different discussion.

• Like 11

17 hours ago, ojanhk said:

I’m a bit disappointed here: I started this thread to share about this project I discovered on FB and try to get more information.

There is not much information, that’s true, but no one is asking for money either.
So maybe it will never deliver, maybe it will, time will tell. 

Now if someone is not interested or not believing it can happen, why not simply skip this thread and let the others discuss calmly about it ? Direct bashing of a new project doesn’t help motivate people trying to build new stuff for this retro niche. Next time I’ll see some project I find interesting, I’m not sure I will post about it.

Can't say I'm surprised.   Same thing happened to the VCS and Amico threads.   Became impossible discuss calmly.   The people who claimed they were not interested or skeptical just could not let it be..  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zzip said:

Can't say I'm surprised.   Same thing happened to the VCS and Amico threads.   Became impossible discuss calmly.   The people who claimed they were not interested or skeptical just could not let it be..  

Let's be honest here: the thread was split into two opposing camps and neither one was budging.

Having fallen into the 'nay' camp in one of those threads myself, both sides were just as entrenched in their positions as the other.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Neither of these videos help at all.  They're both presented by someone with a lot to talk about and nothing to say, and given how little information there is about the project at present it's difficult to see why they even exist short of monetising attention.

In a way, both do a good job of unintentionally illustrating certain aspects of things that commonly suck about retrocomputing YouTube content, but that's a completely different discussion.

But hey - we get to see another stupid face thumbnail, so there's that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3