IGNORED

4k ROM ICs

Delta

OK... 

Both motherboards show the same symptoms: white fuzzy horizontal lines moving up the screen. It doesn't seem to "boot" which is why I was considering the ROMs. 

I don't hear a beep or any other noise. I know the RAM is fine on one board and I am fairly certain the other is OK. 

I have swapped the VDPs. 

What should I try next? 

3 hours ago, Delta said:

...white fuzzy horizontal lines moving up the screen.

Do the lines look like the ones in the background of the picture shown in this video...

Though they do not appear to be highly pronounced, they can make the video cut-out when they move into the vertical sync region at the top of the screen.

Perhaps this is hinting at a power supply issue.

I realized as soon as I posted those voltages that the 12V was missing. The power rails was the first thing I checked a few days ago and the 12V was most certainly there. It looks like the capacitors need replacing on the smaller board. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delta said:

Could you please elaborate? 

One of the reasons you get a black screen and nothing else is that the READY input at the processor is held low. This may come from one of the devices on that line. When you turn it on, do you get a beep tone after a second, or is there just blackness? Or random noises from the sound generator?

5.4 is out of spec.  The VDP RAM needs -5V, +5V, +12V.  Depending on what else is going on, 5.4V should not damage chips, and it might even go to 5 once the root cause is fixed...

The sound chip will make a random, horrible, (but strangely endearing) sound at power-up.  This lasts until the console sends it the commands to be silent.   So I would even suggest

the sound chip 76489 (sometimes SN94624?) is dead, or else it is not getting the clock from video.  I think it is socketed and removable in case of damage.

A logic probe ($20) is useful to poke at clock pins. The probe tells you if there is a clock, constant high, or constant low. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it'll boot without the sound chip installed but not with a bad rom. I spent hours and lotsa dollars just to find out one of my 6810s was bad. HOWEVER, mine made a goshaweful screech when booting that never stopped. Therefore leaving out the sound chip till I figured it out. And, mine didn't even display a white line but did show an occasional scratchy dot or two.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK...I have replaced all the capacitors on the internal psu board and it has made no difference. Still the same horizontal bars. 

However, regarding the low voltages, I have noticed that if the PSU board is disconnected from the system board, the output voltages are fine: 5.2V, 11.8V and - 5V. If I connect the PSU board to the system board, the 5.2V and 11.8V drop significantly. 

The oscilloscope is on the way... 

2 hours ago, Delta said:

OK...I have replaced all the capacitors on the internal psu board and it has made no difference. Still the same horizontal bars. 

However, regarding the low voltages, I have noticed that if the PSU board is disconnected from the system board, the output voltages are fine: 5.2V, 11.8V and - 5V. If I connect the PSU board to the system board, the 5.2V and 11.8V drop significantly. 

The oscilloscope is on the way... 

Good move on an o'scope. I prefer one over a logic probe.

Reads like you got a ground on the 12v somewhere. I'd get out the schematics and start tracing down the 12v line.

Hmm, ok, so I was just looking at the prints and it looks like if Q500 were shorted, it would put 12v and 5v to grnd.

Edited by Duewester

On 4/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, Delta said:

IMG_20230420_192235.jpg

Is it possible to plug an NTSC modulator, into a PAL /4A?

This looks a bit like some kind of video interface issue ...especially if you're getting the same picture, on two different /4As ...I'm guessing that you're using a video modulator. But, I believe an over-load might cause similar symptoms.

3 hours ago, Delta said:

If I connect the PSU board to the system board, the 5.2V and 11.8V drop significantly.

Anything ...reaching cooking temps?🌡️ 

• Like 1

@HOME AUTOMATIONmakes a good point about the video modulator. Just so happens 12v is on pin 1 IIRC, 

Just coincidence but the Ti I'm restoring had a broken out video connection on the board and would not have had a display had I ever powered it on before fixing it. Things like that are why I open up and inspect a unit before ever powering up.

27 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

This looks a bit like some kind of video interface issue ...especially if you're getting the same picture, on two different /4As ...I'm guessing that you're using a video modulator. But, I believe an over-load might cause similar symptoms.

I don't have an NTSC modulator, just a PAL one which is what I am using. 

No. All the ICs and RAM stay quite cool. 

Edited by Delta

33 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

din5 vs din7..  so  no

videoportti99.png

Screenshot-2021-10-03-172550.jpg

• Like 2