IGNORED

HSC20 Round 8: JOUST & WING WARS

copied this from last time we played... note it's a handicapped round (see below)

*JOUST*

image.gif.6215274020de9471bcd3494e001890a2.gif

Game Settings

Joust is a good one for a bit of handicapping so here goes: former HSC champs play on Advanced, everyone else play on Skilled (default) or Advanced if you are one of the better players or want a greater challenge, anyone who is new to the game or can't get past a few screens then play on Novice ;)

Emulator Users

All games must be played at normal speed you have the choice of NTSC or PAL system. Set "overscan" to normal so the screen looks like the screenshot below and you cannot see into the margins (altirra view overscan mode).

Joust does not show the high score, so after your go wait for the demo mode to start and you will see the last score(s).

Joust is a great game flap around, kill the birds, collect the eggs, lots of fun to be had.

The birds:

Red = Bounder
Grey = Hunter
Blue = Shadow Lord

Lance the pterodactyl when he opens his beak though it's "damn risky" and worth a measly 1,000 points. You can kill him with his beak closed and even kill him by hitting him from behind. Basically your lance tip has to be at the exact point of the beak, or his tail.

Links

Fandal XEX

Atarimania ROM & instructions

atarionline.pl XEX/ATR/BIN/CAR

2 Player Bonus Point

Joust is one of the best 2 player games so play with another humanoid to pick up a bonus point! RT had a great idea - post scores too, the lowest one will count in a separate table so the incentive is to help your fellow player!

Fun Challenge

Most pterry's killed!

Expert Challenge

Play on expert !

Bonus Game

WING WARS

Wing Wars

Have been trying to get this played here for some time, so let's see if we can figure it out?!

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3413

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-imagic-1-2-3_1235.html

19 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Instructions (sort of) for Wing War.  From what I've figured out so far:

1.  Press the fire button to flap and fly.

2.  Press down + fire to shoot.  Not the best control scheme, but with only one button, I suppose it's the best they could come up with at the time.

3.  Kill an enemy and it turns into a gem/crystal/whatever.  Pick it up and return it to the first screen to gain some health.

Wash, rinse, repeat...I guess.

11 hours ago, graywest said:

I haven't played this version of Wing War, but I think it started as a 2600 game (that Imagic only released in Europe). The 2600 instructions might help a little, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the ports:

https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareLabelID=763&ItemTypeID=&currentPage=0&maxPages=4

:thumbsup:

Round ends

Weds 10th May 8pm UK time

Game on!

trbb

p.s. if anyone wants to write something for Pro(c) Atari Magazine please get in touch.

Edited by therealbountybob
Wing Wars links and iinfo added
  • Like 2

I probably commented on this last time we played Joust, but rather interesting to see that the Commodore 64 has more than a dozen unique Joust clones, while it appears (at least from Atarimania) that the Atari 8-bit only has this game. Was Atari as a publisher that dominant that nobody bothered to clone or enhance it? Indeed the Atarisoft version on the C64 never was released IIRC but only leaked out the other year so the market was more open. I'm sure there are a few more examples of this kind. While the A8 in general has a smaller library than the C64, usually the difference isn't quite as striking as 16-1.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

2.  Press down + fire to shoot.  Not the best control scheme, but with only one button, I suppose it's the best they could come up with at the time.

3.  Kill an enemy and it turns into a gem/crystal/whatever.  Pick it up and return it to the first screen to gain some health.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Deteacher said:

I haven't played this version of Wing War, but I think it started as a 2600 game (that Imagic only released in Europe). The 2600 instructions might help a little, but I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the ports:

https://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=2600&SoftwareLabelID=763&ItemTypeID=&currentPage=0&maxPages=4

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Deteacher said:

11 hours ago, graywest said:

Thanks Guys, atarimania is a bit lacking on this one! Will add to the first post :thumbsup:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Really nice!  Is that the original screen or one of those aftermarket upgrades?

It's the McWill LCD. Highly recommended. You can even play outside when the sun shines.

Bit now back to the 8bits:

Joust 108,750

WingWars 100 (did not know what to do at all...)

And played Joust with my doughter and my wife...

20230429_163935.thumb.jpg.3114618f54fac79cec4bc19bda579245.jpg20230501_191822.thumb.jpg.f428ee827d0ca23b272d9f8be5732eaa.jpg20230501_203343.thumb.jpg.07f1da93fe5c4fb95c0292d1446cbcaf.jpg

Edited by MichaG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joust on Advanced 265,400 LOL I stopped to take a picture of the only Pterry I spiked - only went for it as I was cornered and running out of lives, the score was about 5-1 on this go... then was out for my troubles :D

Photo4166.thumb.jpg.dd80b60b0c8e45d6426dcf2e1ec73e01.jpgPhoto4168.thumb.jpg.859698e987213a7c04ccd05b0b6c4389.jpg

Wing Wars 300 :!:

managed to collect eggs by pushing up and space seems to drop them. was trying to take them back top the start nest (my idea!) as I ran out of shots... shot a few things, looks like multi screen wrap around and some interesting adversaries so will now read up on the link on the first post ;)

Photo4171.thumb.jpg.acc250c0edd544900680178ac0ff9cde.jpgPhoto4172.thumb.jpg.c47565a86a47dac7601e41b356bd7e02.jpg

No poll for Round 9 as things are afoot :D

• Like 2