IGNORED

S-Video Cable Issues

RetroSpawn

2 hours ago, RetroSpawn said:

When I bought the Atari, the seller didn't communicate at all when I asked some technical questions. In the end I found out that it was a daughter selling her mother's stuff, she didn't want to get scammed and didn't know what to respond. Got this sorted, paid 200GBP if I recall correctly, because the Atari still has protective foil and has never touched apparently. We came to the conclusion that this transistor was missing when it left factory as there was no signs of other work done on the board. Strange, I got flashjazzcat to install spectre, change Memory and in the end fit the transistor. 

Of course. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322480517537?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=ZlOn7kwZQMC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=2rFn-OLlRve&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

approx £12.86 + £4.75 Postage

Thanks. Ah yes I saw these last year.. I dismissed them at the time because, aside from me being in the UK, I took them to not be properly double shielded. (Most Atari din to svideo cables are only single shielded). 

Wow regarding the missing transistor. Never heard of a unit making it out of the factory with a missing component. Their quality control dept must have been on a lunch break when that machine went past on the conveyor belt heh heh. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Wow regarding the missing transistor. Never heard of a unit making it out of the factory with a missing component. Their quality control dept must have been on a lunch break when that machine went past on the conveyor belt heh heh. 

Or there was a party going on in the hot tub room :)

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2023 at 5:45 PM, mytek said:

I figured this would be a good place to post this...

I developed a Miniature Colecovision Clone called the CV-NUC+ which just got released about a week ago. Since it uses an identically wired 5-pin DIN jack for its A/V aspect I was looking for a good cable to recommend to get all the various signals out of it without introducing any noise or jail bars. Since the Hercules cables are no longer available....

Hi @mytek,

There may be a happy update to this. After having a chat, with @donjn, he told me that he had just purchased a cable from Hercules Workshop.  I went to check and I see that there is a new streamlined website up! I sent and email to get some confirmation, but I had yet received a reply. I missed the window to give him a call, so I will check tomorrow.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

@scorpio_ny can you post the new website link perhaps? :) I just had a search and thier old site is still up, their ebay shopfront has no items. Plus twitter and Facebook don't appear to have recent updates.

Sure @Beeblebrox! Sorry I did not realize that it was a different URL.

https://herculesworkshop.net

4 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

Thanks although this is their old website as far as I can tell. 

The old website was Herculesworkshop.com. Also, if you scroll down for some of their other services, it says that they have not transferred all the data from their old website.

I will give them a call tomorrow to confirm to see if they are in business.

11 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

The old website was Herculesworkshop.com. Also, if you scroll down for some of their other services, it says that they have not transferred all the data from their old website.

I will give them a call tomorrow to confirm to see if they are in business.

Ah cool. Looked the same for a second. 

Well that's great news. :)

Hi everyone! I have an update on Hercules Workshop. I called and was able to reach the owner, Robert on the phone.

He conveyed to me what happened his webmaster went bankrupt and he had no way of initially of transferring the domain name over, so he created a new domain (he told me he now has access to his domain name) and has to set up a new webpage by himself. His business had fallen off due to COVID,so was not checking as regularly as he used to. I conveyed to him that his customers did not have any way of knowing what had happened and that he created a new website. We had all assumed that he had closed up shop. He said that he can still do the cables and he can be contacted for the order via the new web page or via email (which he will check more often).

@donjn: I mentioned that you had placed an order for a cable and he is going to look into your order. If there is an issue, he has my email and I can let you know via PM.

Edited by scorpio_ny
Fix sentences
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

• 1 year later...

Figured I post in this thread, rather than just the Hercules one.  Hercules is definitely defunct, the emails go unanswered, and his phone number is disconnected.  Been looking into other cables...

https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/atari-8-bit-svideo-cable-for-800-65xe-130xe-for-sale

Contacted RGC UK, but was told there's no plans to make these again.  He suggested eBayer "Retro Computer Shack," but they never responded.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156097581028

So this set of cables is sold as well, and I inquired, but was told the chroma/luma are wrapped together, not individually FWIW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235728984300

They there's this guy seller gdoinventer, who confirmed that "The luma and chroma wires are shield wrapped by their individual ground leads."  Unfortunately, he BLOCKED me on ebay I presume for asking him too many questions!  So I cannot buy any.  Why does this hobby continue to house these kinds of fickle people???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326206692458

Found this one in Germany, seems a bit thin for proper shielding, and the seller has not responded to my inquiry.