IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 17 Round 9 -  Jr. Pac-man

Welcome to the ninth round of the 17th 5200 HSC season.  Jr. Pac-man was in a three-way tie with Galaxian and Koffi, but won the die roll.  Play using the default settings.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Beware a bug in this one… if you die while a energizer is being destroyed by a roaming bonus item, you will be unable to clear the board.  Try to avoid this!

The high score was set by Mangia-Boy with 48,840 points.  Beat this if you can for a bonus point! 

The ROM can be found here:

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=790

Round ends Sunday, May 14th, 2023 @11pm EST

Standings:

oyamafamily - 81,560 - RECORD BREAKER 

RB5200 - 54,040 - RECORD BREAKER

Cafeman - 53,800 - RECORD BREAKER

Mikey50 - 32,010

rubeon - 25,950

jeremiahjt - 20,180

I never put much time into this one, it certainly is a more advanced and new take on the Pac-Man gameplay. I don't like how the items destroy your power pellets.  I suppose I'll have to anticipate their arrival quicker. I also don't yet understand the monster AI so I can get away from them.  

hsc 5200 pacjr 33330.png

On 4/30/2023 at 11:48 PM, DamonicFury said:

Beware a bug in this one… if you die while a energizer is being destroyed by a roaming bonus item, you will be unable to clear the board.  Try to avoid this!

That is a bad, bad bug.   It's stopped at least 10 of my games.   The other annoying bug is you'll pass through a bonus item sometimes.  Especially when there are some monsters in the same general area, the bonus item collision doesn't work.   Hate that! 

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

That is a bad, bad bug.   It's stopped at least 10 of my games.   The other annoying bug is you'll pass through a bonus item sometimes.  Especially when there are some monsters in the same general area, the bonus item collision doesn't work.   Hate that! 

10 games?!  Ouch that sucks, man.  I remember playing the "Glen the 5200 man" conversion ages ago and wondering what on earth happened.  So I at least wanted to give folks new to the game a heads up. 

It would be nice if someone could fix this old annoying bug, but I'm sure if it was easy to do so, someone would have done it by now.

Timeline in the video above:

00:00 – Atari 5200 Profile screen

00:06 – Jr. Pac-Man startup and default settings (Tricycle and One Player)

00:11 – Failed attempts (my new target score for this attempt is 70,000 points or more)

04:38 – Start of successful run

07:40 – End of Level 1 at 19,210 points and 4 lives in reserve

10:23 – End of Level 2 at 38,920 points and 3 lives in reserve

13:21 – End of Level 3 at 57,640 points and 2 lives in reserve

16:25 – End of Level 4 at 70,740 points and 1 life in reserve

18:17 – End of run and final score shown (81,560 points on Level 5)

Edited by oyamafamily

Other than the game-ending glitch mentioned above, there are 2 things about Jr Pac-Man that seriously hamper the fun-factor.  I'm not familiar with the coin-op or other ports, perhaps its just this version that frustrates me.  Here are the 2 things: 

1. The first maze sucks. Too many dots, too easy to get caught, too hard to monitor to energizer-killing bonus items.  All the mazes after the 1st maze are more fun and better designed.   I always seem to lose 1 or 2 lives on the very first maze and that shouldn't be so. 

2.  The bonus items killing your energizers and (to a lesser degree) creating big/slowdown dots.  This causes the gamer to make rash decisions trying to get the thing.  

Maybe if I understood how to manipulate the monsters better, I'd enjoy the game more.  Seeing how low these scores are (Except Oyama has done pretty well), it can't be just me that finds 5200 Jr Pac-Man frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

Maybe if I understood how to manipulate the monsters better, I'd enjoy the game more.  Seeing how low these scores are (Except Oyama has done pretty well), it can't be just me that finds 5200 Jr Pac-Man frustrating. 

It’s a pretty famously difficult game.  The 2600 version is particularly known for being brutal.  I don’t think the two points you raised are unique to the 5200, I’m fairly sure they also apply to the arcade original.

Side story.  A few years back I was looking at the various different Pac-Man games Bob D. has ported,  and started to sketch out a new fresh Pac-Man idea,  and what I came up with I called Pappy Pac-Man.  Pappy Pac-Man and all the monsters are humorously old guys now.  But playing Jr Pac-Man now for this HSC,  I can see that I might have inadvertently lifted some ideas from this game. I drew Pac-man with gummier soft mouth and a patch of gray hair (just like Jr's red beanie).  I wanted to use all the various different colored Pac Monsters from the games , even obscure ones like Tim.    I didn't want a scrolling maze but I was thinking about vertically flipping some of the coin-op Pac / Ms Pac mazes.  I also had bouncing items, they some were bonus items worth points and some were power-ups.  From what I recall:   

- old person themed bonus items for points - soup, fruit, hard candy, prunes, etc. 

- Pick up the cane and all the monsters started to hobble around on canes, moving much more slowly. 

-  Pick up the coffee  cup and you have speed when pressing your button (for a while), like in Super Pac-Man. 

- Pick up the banana peel and you could drop it, causing the next monster to touch it to slip and fall. "I've fallen and I can't get up" , until another monster touched them. 

- Sometimes a skull would bounce around. It would kill you or a monster if touched.  It disappears if a monster hits it.   On rounds with the skull, there are only 3 monsters chasing you. 

Stuff like that.  End of Side Story. 

• Like 2