IGNORED

[CLOSED] Lynx High Score Club 2023: Round 4 - Crystal Mines II: Zero Mission and newly physical homebrew Assembloids!

jgkspsx

Atari Lynx High Score Club

HSC rules

This round we play Crystal Mines II's hidden marathon mode and a favorite game jam title that just went physical, Assembloids.

Round Over: Monday June 1 (full points), Sunday October 1st (rank points only) 2023 12:01am US Pacific

Crystal Mines II is cheap and easy to find physically, available on Evercade, and really great! The last time we did a challenge for it was in 2017, and it's time we revisited it. We're also revisiting 2019 game jam masterwork Assembloids, which just last month got an awesome physical edition!  

Crystal Mines II

Manual / instructions / discussion: https://atariage.com/manual_html_page.php?SoftwareID=2408

Settings - bonus level you get to by putting in the level code ZERO

HSC Record: @Peyo - 1,175,860 BROKEN!

Description: Can you get all the treasure in the Secret Vault? Let's find out! Enter the password ZERO to launch this secret mission, and take a screenshot when you finish the level!

Scores:

1. @jeremiahjt - 1179270* (NEW RECORD!) - 102

2. @jgkspsx - 1000120* - 100

3. @MichaG - 141310* - 98

4. @Rick Dangerous - 141200 - 94

5. Your name here!

6. Your name here!

7. Your name here!

8. Your name here!

9. Your name here!

10. Your name here!

* bonus points achieved

Bonus Challenge: Beat @roadrunner's score from 2017 - 141,200 - for two bonus points! Ends June 1.

Assembloids

As far as I can tell, the scoring on the physical version of Assembloids is the same as on the game jam version from the Lynx's 30th anniversary. So until I hear otherwise feel free to use your brand new cartridge if you have it!

Manual / instructions / discussion: https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/assembloids/8913075

Download link: https://atarigamer.com/ag-api/lynx/rom/Assembloids/8913075

Settings: Difficulty 2 (the default)

HSC Record: First year!

Description: Assemble aliens one quadrant at a time... literally! The more complete a head is the more functional your creation will be. Try to make whole species and avoid filling your space armada with rejects from the Island of Dr. Moreau!

Scores:

1. @agradeneu - 11270 (NEW RECORD!)* - 100+2

2. @jgkspsx - 7800* - 98+2

3. @jeremiahjt - 6100 - 96

3. @MichaG - 5210 - 94

4. @Rick Dangerous - 3070 - 92

5. Your name here!

6. Your name here!

7. Your name here!

8. Your name here!

9. Your name here!

10. Your name here!

* bonus points achieved

Bonus Challenge: if the compo version works for the new leaderboard, submit a high score following the instructions here: https://www.astro.physik.uni-potsdam.de/~mwendt/scores.html

If not, we'll figure something else out! This bonus point is available all season.

Current season point standings:

jgkspsx 894 396 498
MichaG 885 382 478
Rick Dangerous 858 380 478
Ninjabba 501 178 298
jeremiahjt 402 402 0
agradeneu 325 100 200
JagChris 184 184 0
KidGameR186496 127 102 0
jblenkle 115 90 0
Songbird 102 0 102

Any corrections please post. Please put your score in text in your post please to make my life a little easier. Thanks for joining us!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Get trapped by the boulder on the left, get burned up by the fireball on the right.

Use the umbrella found in the bottom left room to avoid getting crushed by the boulder in the middle left room. Use the invincibility found in the bottom middle room to get past the fireballs in the bottom right room.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

In case you didn’t get the joke, all you need to do to get the bonus points is score a single point in any room besides the starting room!

The left room from the start is not so hard: 

Spoiler

Push the up block into the Evil Otto thing and walk past the falling boulder, then push it back into the room you started in.

I don’t remember what the nuke logo is? I can’t seem to get into the bottom middle room at all.

My CM2 Zero Challenge score so far: 274000.

IMG_6114.thumb.jpeg.a6c230a7c1ad0c1adcd93a32f9423153.jpeg

Ahhh, I figured out how to get to the lower left room and what do do with the radioactivity shield. I still can’t get in the middle room so I am getting the goodies from the left bottom room without invincibility - it’s tough but extremely possible if you have patience.

577960 with 50k first try bonus, we should probably subtract that so we don’t all have to reset every time. So 527960.

Actually just subtract it if you score over 500k, you don’t really need it in that case.

IMG_6120.thumb.jpeg.d662a4d0abbd817d46b0ea5119d3bc44.jpeg

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Ahhh, I figured out how to get to the lower left room and what do do with the radioactivity shield. I still can’t get in the middle room so I am getting the goodies from the left bottom room without invincibility - it’s tough but extremely possible if you have patience.

577960 with 50k first try bonus, we should probably subtract that so we don’t all have to reset every time. So 527960.

Actually just subtract it if you score over 500k, you don’t really need it in that case.

IMG_6120.thumb.jpeg.d662a4d0abbd817d46b0ea5119d3bc44.jpeg

I say keep the first time bonus.

The left bottom room is for the radioactive shield, the right bottom room is for the invincibility. You have to push the boulder from the left middle room into the bottom right room to get access to the bottom middle room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeremiahjt said:

You have to push the boulder from the left middle room into the bottom right room to get access to the bottom middle room.

Ohhhh that’s a chute!! It would have taken me a long time to remember that. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

Cracked a million! 1000120

IMG_6279.thumb.jpeg.1944bcc4047d155a23af9ed9b483db70.jpeg

There is still a ton of room for improvement - I wasted some of the over quota gems, then I did the slime clearing terribly, then I wasted a bunch of bombs clearing the remaining slime only to find there was no money under it anyway. Then I realized there were three radioactive blocks with money I missed. Oh well.

1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

I wasted some of the over quota gems, then I did the slime clearing terribly, then I wasted a bunch of bombs clearing the remaining slime only to find there was no money under it anyway. Then I realized there were three radioactive blocks with money I missed.

How did you waste over quota gems?

I have wanted to actually map out the money in the slime pool to make sure I get it all and to not waste any dynamite. I have wondered if the exploding enemies could be brought over and used in the slime pool.

With the radioactive suit, I can move every single radioactive block. So I do not have to waste any dynamite in that room.

• Like 1

New score of 1,174,920. I wasted one dynamite in the radioactive room, but that would only net me 200 more points. That would still put me 740 points or so behind the record. That would mean I would need to save 4 more dynamites. Not sure how I do that.

• Like 1