IGNORED

Atari Multi-Cart CX26999 Value

BeatleBruce

Hello Atari Community! Here is an Atari mystery for you to solve! LOL. I have what I believe to be a rare Atari Multi-Cart. I bought it online in 2001 or 2002; I wish I had the paperwork and packaging that it came with but sadly, I do not. I do recall that it was rather expensive though; maybe about $100. I cannot find any information online in regards to it! Here is all of the text on the cartridge label:

"Atari 2600 Video Game Cartridge For The Atari 2600 VCS Multi-Cart 255 Complete Games On One Cartridge. Use with various controllers. Cartridge design and menu software. Then it has the copywrite "C logo" and the date 2001. Then what appears to be the model number:  "CX26999".

It appears to have a copywrite label dated 2001. The label and cartridge are of excellent quality; very professionally produced. The cartridge has the open pin design of Atari Pole Position, with the pin board exposed. The label stock is glossy and thick, much like the original Atari carts were. The cartridge itself looks just like all the Atari carts that have the "pebbly" textured surface. The front label is very colorful. The end label is printed in red and says "MULTI-CART". It has an image of an Atari 2600 4 front switch model, a joystick, 2 paddles and 16 game boxes around the system. Really Cool! There are indeed 255 complete games on the cart. It is menu-driven and very professional looking. 

Please help me to identify this cartridge! It is in like-new condition and I hope to sell it. I am selling my video game stuff on Ebay; I recently retired and will be downsizing my living arrangements. Thank you for reading this very long posting!

Cheers, BeatleBruce

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

You are already offering it for $1000. So why do you ask?

Why do I ask? Because I truly have no idea what it is worth! I would not want to ask for $150, have someone buy it and then find out it is worth $300 or more. When I have more information on it I will adjust the price accordingly. Does that make sense to you? It seems reasonable to me!

I would like to reply to John-q-Atari. You haven’t a clue, John. I am 66 years old, I joined Atari Age sometime in the 90’s I think. I haven’t been active for a long time so I have a new screen name and email address. I stood in line at Montgomery Ward to buy the Atari VCS back during the holiday season of 1977. $300 bucks was a lot of money back then. And I’ve been collecting ever since. But now it is time for me to part with a lot of my stuff. I posted my question about my Multi- Cart to get information about it. Is that offensive to you, John? Are you always so quick to judge? I hope you take this post in the vein that it is intended, John. And I am confident that that there are others who would be interested in discussing my cartridge. It is an interesting find. At least it would be to a legitimate gamer and collector. 

A web search of CX26999 seems to only bring up your ebay auction.  Pricecharting.com doesn't have it either.  Given it has a copyright date of 2001, that is well after the original Atari produced cartridges, and given the number of likely unlicensed titles displayed on the cover changes are it is a bootleg of some sort.   

Sounds like your best bet is to let the market decide what it is worth.  If you get $1000, great!  Otherwise you may need to relist it over and over again to see what the true value is.  There are numerous flash carts available for the 2600 now, so people would likely be buying it for the novelty rather than any of the games that may be on there.

Edit:  Beaten to the punch!

Yes that makes a lot of sense. Back at that time the flash carts were not available and there were many bootlegs. I’ve believed it’s a high quantity bootleg for awhile but it is almost shocking when one searches the web and gets no info! It is such a good production that it cannot possibly be one of a kind. The titles depicted on the cover are legitimate titles and not bad hacks, like we see now in the many cheap emulation consoles from China. I will probably just leave it on EBay, keep dropping the price and see what happens. I never expected to get a lot of money for it; putting the high price gets a lot of hits on EBay and I wanted information, and if it sells… all the better! Maybe I’ll get $200 or so in the end, you never know. That’s what collecting is all about; one man’s treasure is another man’s trash, right? LOL If I wasn’t selling all of my stuff, or at least the 2600 stuff, I would keep it for sure just to play the games. I mean, how many carts have 255 complete games on them from 2001? Most of the older bootleg stuff that I saw back then was nowhere near as complete and polished as this one is.

Thanks for the response, it is truly appreciated!

Cheers,

BeatleBruce

The back of the cart is as you would expect it to look, same pebbly surface as the sides and front. I see what CPUwiz is seeing in the photo; the bottom corners of the label are not rounded smoothly. Maybe not as “professionally produced” as I thought! Lol! Maybe Edward Scissorhands, Johnny Depp made it…! If you look closely at my EBay photo both lower corners are almost reverse mirror images of each other in regards to the “cut”. What I plan to do is to post more photos on my listing including screenshots of the menu pages. So far every game has worked flawlessly; I’ve only inserted it in to my Atari a dozen times or so and played 15 to 20 titles. You guys gotta admit that it is pretty interesting though, huh? How rare is it to have a cart in hand with 255 complete games that you know, or at least I know, had to have been made before 2002 that when searched online pulls up No Hits except my listing? As has been stated on an earlier post, this was before the age of the flash-carts being so relatively easy to produce. Oh, and I have received two generous offers…. $1.99 and $20. I think I’ll hold out for a little more!

Cheers,

BeatleBruce

16 minutes ago, BeatleBruce said:

The back of the cart is as you would expect it to look, same pebbly surface as the sides and front.

My mistake - what I thought was box art is actually a closeup of the cartridge label.

Looks to be someone's homebrew effort.  Rarity over 9000, desirability 1.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Cebus Capucinis said:

Wow! I wonder if the Loch Ness monster is amazed by 255 games in 2001, ViRtUaLlY uNhEaRd Of, as we've repeatedly been told. :roll:

This thread belongs in the Marketplace as obvious as it's being "pitched."

Wait...  You mean that someone signed up an account just to put their item(s) up for sale in a forum filled with what must clearly be open wallets?

That never happens, my good man.  NEVER.

• Haha 4

Here is an update on my Multi-Cart. I have posted several screen images of the menu pages to support the legitimacy of the cartridge on Ebay, in case anybody was to think that this cartridge is bogus. Ebay only allows 24 photos per listing so I couldn't post them all. Then I went through the entire menu and put a list of the game titles on Ebay. Below you will see the titles. I found out that there are not 255 games on this cart like the label states; there are only 253. And there are indeed some rom hacks on this list, maybe fifteen to twenty. The rest are legitimate releases from back in the day. This took me all day but it was definitely worth the effort. I would not want to risk my 100% positive feedback on Ebay by mis-stating any of the details of one of my listings.

I realize that many of you reading this may have become jaded by other individuals posting information that is less than honest on a forum like this, and I understand that mentality and the thought process behind that. It is one of the reasons that forums like this do not interest me very much. My sole purpose for rejoining Atari Age was to find out if those in the Atari community had ever come across this Multi-Cart. I still highly doubt that this is the only one that exists. It is highly unusual to not be able to find any reference to the serial number on the label online. So having exhausted that avenue I wanted to turn to those who have the most knowledge on this stuff. 

Cheers,

BeatleBruce

List of Titles: There are No Duplicate Titles on this Multi-Cart
1. Adventure
2. Air Raid
3. Air Raiders
4. Airlock
5. Alien
6. Alligator People
7. Amidar
8. Assault
9. Astroblast
10. Astromar
11. Atlantis
12. Bachelor Party
13. Bank Heist
14. Barnstorming
15. Beany Bopper
16. Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em
17. Bermuda
18. Bermuda Triangle
19. Boing!
20. Boom Bang
21. Boxing
22. Brick Kick
23. Bridge
24. Bugs
25. Bumper Bash
26. Burning Desire
27. Cakewalk
28. Carnival
29. Cat Trax
30. Cat House Blues
31. Challenge
32. Championship Soccer
33. Checkers
34. China Syndrome
35. Chopper Command
36. Chase The Chuckwagon
37. Coconuts
38. Coke Wins
39. Col'n
40. Color Bar
41. Commando Raid
42. Computer Chess
43. Condor Attack
44. Cosmic Ark
45. Cosmic Corridor
46. Cosmic Creeps
47. Cosmic Swarm
48. Crash Dive
49. Criminal 
50. Cross Force
51. Cruise Missile
52. Crypts Of Chaos
53. Custer's Revenge
54. Dark Cavern
55. Deadly Duck
56. Death Trap
57. Demolition Herby
58. Demon Attack
59. Dice Puzzle
60. Dishaster
61. Dolphin
62. Donkey Kong
63. Dragonfire
64. Earth Dies Screaming
65. Eggomania
66. Eli's Ladder
67. Encounter At L-5
68. Enduro
69. Entombed
70. Exocet
71. Fantastic Voyage
72. Farmyard Fun
73. Fast Eddie
74. Fast Food
75. Final Approach
76. Fire Fighter
77. Fire Spinner
78. Fire Fly
79. Fishing Derby
80. Flash Gordon
81. Frankenstein's Monster
82. Frogger
83. Frogs And Flies
84. Frostbite
85. Gangster Alley
86. Gas Hog
87. Gauntlet
88. Ghost Manor & Spike's Peak
89. G.I. Joe Cobra Strike
90. Glib
91. Gopher
92. Gorf
93. Grand Prix
94. Great Escape
95. Guardian
96. Halloween
97. Harbor Escape
98. Haunted House
99. Hole Hunter
100. I Want My Mommy
101. Ice Hockey
102. Immies & Aggies
103. Infiltrate
104. International Soccer
105. I.Q. 180
106. Jawbreaker
107. Journey Escape
108. Jungle Fever 
109. Kaboom!
110. Kamikaze
111. Karate
112. Keystone Kapers
113. King Kong
114. Knight On The Town
115. Kool-Aid Man
116. Laser Blast
117. Laser Gates
118. Lock 'N Chase
119. London Blitz
120. Lost Luggage
121. M*A*S*H
122. M*A*D
123. Malagai
124. Mangia
125. Marauder
126. Marine Wars
127. Master Builder
128. Megaforce
129. Megamania
130. Mines Of Minos
131. Miss Piggy
132. Missile Command
133. Mogul Maniac
134. Mouse Trap
135. Mr. Postman
136. Music Machine
137. My Way
138. Name This Game
139. Nexar
140. Nitemare
141. No Escape
142. Nuts
143. Off Rocker
144. Oink!
145. Out Of Control
146. Pac-Kong
147. Panda Chase
148. Parachute
149. Peek-A-Boo
150. Piece 'O Cake
151. Pizza Chef
152. Philly Flasher/Cathouse Blues
153. Picnic
154. Pitfall
155. Planet Patrol
156. Plaque Attack
157. Pooyan
158. Puzzle (Maze Craze)
159. Pyramid Wars
160. Q*bert
161. Quick Step
162. Racquetball
163. Raft Rider
164. Ram It
165. Reactor
166. Revenge Of The Beefsteak Tomatoes
167. Riddle Of The Sphinx
168. River Raid
169. Room Of Doom
170. Rubik's Cube
171. Save Our Ship
172. Scuba Diver
173. Sea Hawk
174. Seaquest
175. Seesaw
176. Shark Attack
177. Shootin' Gallery
178. Shuttle Orbiter
179. Skeet Shoot
180. Ski Hunt
181. Ski Run 
182. Skiing
183. Sky Jinks
184. Sky Skipper
185. Sneak "N Peek
186. Solar Storm
187. Sorcerer
188. Space Canyon
189. Space Cavern
190. Space Raid
191. Space Robot
192. Spacechase
193. Spacemaster X-7
194. Spider Fighter
195. Spider Maze
196. Spiderman
197. Spitfire Attack
198. Squeeze Box
199. Ssnake
200. Stampede
201. Star Fox
202. Star Strike
203. Stargunner
204. Starmaster
205. Star Voyager
206. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
207. Star Wars: Jedi Arena
208. Steeplechase
209. Stellar Track
210. Strategy X
211. Strawberry Shortcake Musical Match-ups
212. Stronghold
213. Stunt Cycle
214. Stuntman
215. Submarine Commander
216. Sub Scan
217. Super Breakout
218. Super Challenge Baseball
219. Super Challenge Football
220. Super Ferrari
221. Super Hero
222. Survival Run
223. Tac-Scan
224. Tank Brigade
225. Tanks But No Tanks
226. Tapeworm
227. Tennis
228. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
229. Threshold
230. Thunderground
231. Time Warp
232. Tomboy
233. Towering Inferno
234. Traffic
235. Trick Shot
236. Tuby Bird
237. Turmoil
238. UFO Patrol
239. Unknown
239. Venture
240. Video Jogger
241. Video Reflex
242. Wabbit
243. Walker
244. Wall Ball
245. Wall Defender
246. Warlords
247. Warplock
248. Wizard Of Wor
249. Word Zapper
250. Worm War I
251. X-Man
252. Z-Tack
253. Zoo Fun

Once you get into the realm of unlicensed software, a ton of stuff isn't documented online. I have many carts with little to no information online, doesn't make them particularly rare or valuable. Even reasonably priced stuff rots on ebay forever.

2 hours ago, BeatleBruce said:

17. Bermuda

I have a bootleg cart called this, its just a hack of river raid with a north sea theme (icebergs etc). is the bermuda on this cart also a hack of river raid?

Thanks for the response and solid information, it is much appreciated. I have always assumed that even bootleg carts like ours would show up on internet searches in some way, shape or form. I guess that is not true. I will continue to drop my price accordingly if I don't get any interest in it. As to the game titled Bermuda, yes it is a hack of River Raid as you say! This one is a little different from yours in that you fly an airplane in the sky with clouds added instead of iceburgs. I would definitely keep the cart if I wasn't selling all of my 2600 stuff including my consoles. Not as something likely to go up in value, just because there are so many games to play on it. With the availability of inexpensive emulation boxes from China, anybody who wants to play the old games can do so easily. That is the route I will be taking as I downsize from a large house to relatively small condo in the near future. 

Cheers,

BeatleBruce

Yes! This cart is identical to mine; the corners of this carts are a little different but probably hand- cut just like mine. Just the fact that there is another one out there proves that this bootleg cart has been around for years. I will probably sign up for Worthpoint and quit immediately after finding out the price that was paid. I don’t expect it to be high. You are to be commended for your internet sleuthing skills, my friend! Thank You.

Cheers, 

BeatleBruce

• Like 1

Just a quick update on my Multi-Cart. I sold it for $175 on Ebay a couple of days ago. I am very happy with that price; I don't remember exactly what I paid for it in 2001 or 2002, but I think it was between $60 to $100. Thanks to Tep392 who found a record of another of these that sold on Ebay long ago, and thanks to randomcat 200 for sharing some information about bootleg multi-carts in general. Hopefully somebody else on these forums runs into another one of these bootleg multi-carts and can benefit from this information as well.

Cheers,

BeatleBruce

• Like 2

So, it's a cartridge, possibly homemade, definitely not commercial, full of pirated software. Why would anyone consider this rare?! Just because there aren't many of them, or even more than one doesn't make it rare. If that's the case, I have a ton of "rare" pirated menu disks that are worth hundreds! I know they're rare, as I made them, and  each is the only one in existence! 😉

It would be worth however much the plastic and components that  make it up are valued at, nothing more. You never know though,  some naive collector that doesn't know any better may offer you but bucks. Just because someone that doesn't know any better offers a lot of money for it though, doesn't mean it's really worth that much.

Edited by bfollowell