IGNORED

Sally CPU C014806-35

I want to replace a mexican made CPU with a more reliable type. I found a vendor on Ebay which sells CPUs which are labeled "C014806-35 (C) Atari 1980" without any additional vendor or logo. Does anybody knows if this is a good batch?

51 minutes ago, Dinadan67 said:

I want to replace a mexican made CPU with a more reliable type. I found a vendor on Ebay which sells CPUs which are labeled "C014806-35 (C) Atari 1980" without any additional vendor or logo. Does anybody knows if this is a good batch?

I bought 2 of those and used both to replace fauly Sally chips, one in a 800XLF and one in a 130XE. They work a lot better than the ones I replaced them with!

220974361_Sally35top.thumb.JPG.6c569577cffe792ae4363c228ee14cbb.JPG377888160_Sally35bottom.thumb.JPG.df30b235758f12afb5a1417ba13a08b3.JPG

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

I use it in my 800XE with a Rapidus card. It works very well, although it overheats a lot. So I bought a Fischer Elektronik ICK40B radiator and Thermalright Extreme II 85x45x1mm 14.8W thermal pad. :)

IMG_20230428_131332.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dinadan67 said:

There are some good options on eBay if you're CONUS, but being located in Europe, these may not be a good option when considering shipping.  I've had a few bad Rockwell (Mexico) 6502Cs, but I've had many more that are fine.  It might have been just a bad lot or two that is getting all the bad press.  Is the current one acting up?

6 hours ago, kheller2 said:

No Atari chip should "overheat" -- that's a commodore thing. :)

The -35 has me scratching head.  Never seen one in the wild installed in a machine.  Not sure Atari used SALLY's in 1980.  It's possible, but if they are truly 1980 production, you'd think they would routinely show up in production units. Plus the overheating is uncharacteristic of Atari VLSI chips.

It does seem strange though they did have weirdly early dates on some chips.

My thought was that Sally was around the time of the 5200 and incorporated into computer CPU boards around the same time.

Alternatively it could be around the time GTIA became available but I think that would be a too early estimate.

This version of Sally is very stable and the only downside is the high temperature. I use it with Rapidus, Ultimate 1MB (first version from Candle), VBXE v2.1 and Evie (prototype sound card by Pasiu). IDE Plus rev.F, SIDE1, Ultimate Cart, AVG Cart (the first version with a black and white sticker) also work without any problems. Motherboard is C103579-001 Rev.1.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 12:24 AM, ACML said:

The -35 has me scratching head.  Never seen one in the wild installed in a machine.  Not sure Atari used SALLY's in 1980.  It's possible, but if they are truly 1980 production, you'd think they would routinely show up in production units. Plus the overheating is uncharacteristic of Atari VLSI chips.

(c) 1980 is just a copyright date and not a manufacturing date so can be misleading.

Edited by TZJB
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The C014806-35 Sally is more stable than my previous mexican CPU and solves the problem with Side3.  But as @voy wrote, it is getting very hot. I put a passive cooling element on it to avoid problems with overheating.

Edited by Dinadan67

18 hours ago, kenames99 said:

hahahaha!

I just thought that was funny :)

I just bought two C64s locally because I was looking for a hobby project and every C64 you see on a YouTube channel is DOA and needs repairs.  I was looking forward to a challenge.  Both units I bought worked after some initial confusion about video hookups.  Now that's hilarious to me, expectations subverted!

Oh, it's national donut day!  I need to get some donuts. 

1 minute ago, Geister said:

I was looking forward to a challenge.  Both units I bought worked after some initial confusion about video hookups

Don’t know how familiar you are with C64’s and WHY many of them need those repairs but don’t use vintage power bricks or you’ll get a challenge.

The overvoltage problem is on the 5V DC apparently and usually on the epoxy filled non servicable ones.

I guess the AC side is probably OK - generally a transformer should work or not and the output voltage is determined the windings ratio and input voltage.