IGNORED

Alien Abduction, a new 2600 game from John Van Ryzin - (in VCS Store)

davpa

Anyone else get an update for this game after the new firmware update for the Atari VCS 800 today? If you see a update for Alien Abduction 2600 don't update as the game might not launch again. I updated the game on 2 of my Atari VCS consoles today and now it wont open and run the game, i done the basics like uninstall the game completely and re download it from the store etc and it still doesn't launch. Very annoying and I've no idea if its just isolated to both my consoles.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Anyone else get an update for this game after the new firmware update for the Atari VCS 800 today? If you see a update for Alien Abduction 2600 don't update as the game might not launch again. I updated the game on 2 of my Atari VCS consoles today and now it wont open and run the game, i done the basics like uninstall the game completely and re download it from the store etc and it still doesn't launch. Very annoying and I've no idea if its just isolated to both my consoles.

yikes!   I've already backup up the original rom.      But hopefully they push a fix

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Same problem for me! Other 2600 games (e.g. Adventure) still work fine.

I reported it on the AtariVCS discord server.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Thanks 1

I've also noticed another issue, when you keep trying to launch the game it seems to switch location tile on the home screen by itself. I honestly love the VCS its my favorite device but every now and again it frustrates me, its like something is always ready to break. The only good thing is it gets resolved quickly they do a good job of getting things fixed. 

• Like 1

I bought this for the Atari VCS tonight and it does NOT run. The other games I bought (Berzerk, Loot Quest 2, etc) work fine.

I have deleted and reinstalled Alien Abduction multiple times and all it does is go to a black screen and then back to the dashboard.

Help!

Edited by ColecoGamer

Its seems to be DRM that's been implemented into the game as aparantly a video was shown on the Discord regarding backing up the games on the Atari VCS and playing them else where, also said person who made the video distributed the ROM online, at least that's what i take from it. It seems the VCS will be getting DRM implemented into future games from now on and secureboot disabled on the system, Atari seem to be looking at all options on the table and trying to pick one that makes the best sense and hopefully allowing you to still boot other OS on the system. I have nothing against backing up your own purchased games but thanks to the SKUM that released the ROM online for everyone there's going to be changes now for the Atari VCS and one option was to make the console require an internet connection at all times to play games and if that happens I'm out ill keep the console as a mini PC 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

So what started the problem? An update for the VCS, the game itself or both?

Someone making a video showing how to back up your Atari VCS 800 games and play them else where, said person backed up Alien Abduction 2600 and shared the game online allowing pirates the chance to download the game and run it in emulators and such and from what i read a potential Atari 2600 game cart could easily be created from this now. The game is temporary locked down till the security flaws on the Atari VCS 800 are patched, which is important in the preservation of Alien Abduction 2600 for now and the other games that are coming to the system. There's more 2600 games heading to the system apparently and if the issue doesn't get resolved the devs wont want there games on the platform. I also read the option to make the console need the internet to even function is probably off the cards so that's a relief. Also the new update has nothing to do with this situation, it was just coincidence the update dropped inbetween the drama.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Someone making a video showing how to back up your Atari VCS 800 games and play them else where, said person backed up Alien Abduction 2600 and shared the game online allowing pirates the chance to download the game and run it in emulators and such and from what i read a potential Atari 2600 game cart could easily be created from this now.

I saw the video. But I think that person did not share the ROM and suppose that some pirate took the video, created a copy and shared it somewhere.

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

The game is temporary locked down till the security flaws on the Atari VCS 800 are patched, which is important in the preservation of Alien Abduction 2600 for now and the other games that are coming to the system. There's more 2600 games heading to the system apparently and if the issue doesn't get resolved the devs wont want there games on the platform. 

If so, then releasing the game on cart will become problematic. AFAIK it is impossible to copy-protect a Atari 2600 cart. One can only make dumping harder.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I saw the video. But I think that person did not share the ROM and suppose that some pirate took the video, created a copy and shared it somewhere.

True, anyone could have shared it, even without watching the video.  

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

If so, then releasing the game on cart will become problematic. AFAIK it is impossible to copy-protect a Atari 2600 cart. One can only make dumping harder.

I'm not sure they will copy-protect the cart.   I think the issue here is now people can make bootleg carts long before Atari can release official carts.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Its seems to be DRM that's been implemented into the game as aparantly a video was shown on the Discord regarding backing up the games on the Atari VCS and playing them else where, also said person who made the video distributed the ROM online, at least that's what i take from it. It seems the VCS will be getting DRM implemented into future games from now on and secureboot disabled on the system, Atari seem to be looking at all options on the table and trying to pick one that makes the best sense and hopefully allowing you to still boot other OS on the system. I have nothing against backing up your own purchased games but thanks to the SKUM that released the ROM online for everyone there's going to be changes now for the Atari VCS and one option was to make the console require an internet connection at all times to play games and if that happens I'm out ill keep the console as a mini PC 

It is so hard to follow that discord chat

If they were to enforce secureboot,  and secureboot compliant PC OSes we've installed would still work, right?

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

It seems to be in this thread (if you can find the relevant bits through all the idle chit chat and GIFs).   

https://discord.com/channels/866714430208213002/873675450940022784

I have no access to it. The link leads me nowhere. What's the channel name? And is it public?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I have no access to it. The link leads me nowhere. What's the channel name? And is it public?

Seems to be called the "# -general" channel on the Official Atari VCS Discord chat.  (I'm not very discord fluent, but I think that's the right terminology).  I had to create an account to read it.   Try logging into discord and trying the link to see if it works (seems to take a few seconds before the chat appears)

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

They know about this and are working to get it fixed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

It is so hard to follow that discord chat

If they were to enforce secureboot,  and secureboot compliant PC OSes we've installed would still work, right?

They haven't decided if they will require secure boot, but if they do Windows will be fine, but Batocera would need the secure boot turned off to run.

1 minute ago, killersquirel said:

They haven't decided if they will require secure boot, but if they do Windows will be fine, but Batocera would need the secure boot turned off to run.

I've installed secure-boot compliant Ubuntu as I worried that Atari might enforce secure-boot in the future.  So I assume I would be safe?  Some of the people are acting like Atari's going to kill PC mode altogether.

Someone here said you can install some packages on Ubuntu or Debian and get the same functionality as Batocera (Emulation Station I think?).   Might be a viable workaround for anyone concerned about Batocera.