IGNORED

why don't my 2600 driving paddles work on my 7800?

tobias_project

i'm fairly new to the atari world.. i own a 7800 and just got a 2600 from an auction today with 2 driving paddles. however i can't use the 2600 until i get an AC for it .. but the driving paddles don't work on the 7800.. i tried playing Super Breakout.

are they just not compatable or what?

thanks for the help

carl

so i kinda got ripped off in my auction then.. ah well

I wouldn't say you got ripped off because the driving controllers are harder to come by than the normal paddle controllers. We're discussing just this in another thread:

Hardware Rarity List thread

So I'd hang onto those racing controllers and find someone willing to part with a pair of (working) paddle controllers.

..Al

Hey! Tobias project. I'm just curious, Why by the 2600? Are you starting to seriously collect all things Atari? I'm just asking, because you say your relatively new to the Atari scene, so maybe your not a full-on collector yet and just want to play the games? After all, the 7800 plays 2600 games...I'm a pretty hard-core Atari collector myself, I have the 5200, 7800, Atari 8-bit pc(130xe), Lynx and Jaguar, but even I don't own a 2600 as I play the 2600 games I have on my 7800...I MAY someday decide to start collecting 2600 consoles, but I doubt it, the 7800 is good enough for me the rare occasions that I do play 2600 games anymore...

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

Hey! Tobias project. I'm just curious, Why by the 2600? Are you starting to seriously collect all things Atari? I'm just asking, because you say your relatively new to the Atari scene, so maybe your not a full-on collector yet and just want to play the games? After all, the 7800 plays 2600 games...

I can't speak for tobias_project, but 7800 compatibility is not 100%. I have one of the later editions sans expansion port, and it refuses to play the ROMs for some 2600 carts, notably the SuperCharger and Robot Tank. I can't play Star Voyager on it either, but I'm not aware of a ROM incompatibility there; rather, the cartridge's case simply won't fit into the console's slot! Accordingly, both a genuine 2600 and the 7800 are essential for gameplay in my home.

I know it only plays about 95% of the games, but so far, that's been enough for me. Also, the supercharger is pretty rare isn't it? I don't think most Atari fans have it, so that wouldn't even come into account in many cases. I may get a 2600 again some day(only the old 6 switch woodgrain though), but the reality of it is, that I only play about a dozen 2600 games anyway, I'm much more into the 8-bit, 5200, 7800, lynx and Jaguar...some of the old 2600 games are just too primitive for me, but being a collector, I'll probably get back around to it after I've exausted my other collecting options.

By the way, Star Voyager is the IMAGIC game isn't it? What was the name of that very similiar game put out by Activision? I know I had both at one time, but now have neither. Those are a couple that I'd like to have, and Cosmic Ark and Atlantis, actually Imagic put out quite a few great 2600 games...Activision too of course.

quote:

I know it only plays about 95% of the games, but so far, that's been enough for me. Also, the supercharger is pretty rare isn't it? I don't think most Atari fans have it, so that wouldn't even come into account in many cases.

Nonetheless, it comes into account in my case, and it might come into account in tobias_project's.

By the way, Star Voyager is the IMAGIC game isn't it? What was the name of that very similiar game put out by Activision?

Yes, Star Voyager is an Imagic game. I think the Activision game you have in mind is Starmaster. I've never played the latter, but I enjoy firing up Star Voyager from time to time.

By the way, I'm still not used to all the features of this board, and was wondering how to get the quotes from previous messages? That isn't just selecting the quote button(UBB code) and then retyping the quote is it? I tried it and it just put;

in the reply window...So what's the proccess here?

If you can get ahold of one of the 84 model 7800s...you won't have a compatibility problem. And as Tempest, JagDiesel, and myself can tell you...those 84 model 7800s aren't nearly as rare as they may seem.

I can play Robot Tank in mine...as well as some of the others (Decatholon).

Keep watching ebay as I have seen at least 3 84 model 7800s in the past 6 months there.

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

If you can get ahold of one of the 84 model 7800s...you won't have a compatibility problem.

I imagine the ROM compatibility problems would go away but the physical compatibility problem with Star Voyager I described would not. By the way, I have the same problem with No Escape!, another Imagic release with the same cartridge case design. Of course, one solution would be to remove the chip from the casing.

quote:

By the way, I'm still not used to all the features of this board, and was wondering how to get the quotes from previous messages?

At the top of each individual post there is a line of icons to the right of the timestamp. Activate the icon resembling a pair of double quotes to quote that post in your reply.

So, how did I manage to quote two posts in a single reply (i.e., this reply)? In two different windows I activated the quotes icons for different posts, then copied and pasted appropriately.

Not sure why you have problems getting Imagic games to go into the thing. They fit fine in my 7800. Tempest has stated that the only carts he has trouble with..are the Telegames releases I think...or something like that.

I just had to push really hard at first to get my Dragon Fire, Cosmic Ark, Trick Shot, and Atlantis carts to get in there. But over time...they seem to fit in quite easily now.

quote:

Hey! Tobias project. I'm just curious, Why by the 2600? ... After all, the 7800 plays 2600 games

actually, i do have a 7800 and a 2600 i got just now.. in about 2 weeks i have 2 systems and 160 + games (mostly thanks to twit ) i got so into it all at once, more games and stuff's on the way too.

carl

By the way, there is an additional 2600 compatibility issue that no 7800 console solves, and that regards the mapping of the 7800's pause button to the 2600's color/B&W switch. On the 7800, pressing the pause button is equivalent to toggling B&W on, whereas releasing the button is equivalent to toggling back to color. So, the only way to have the 7800 remain in black-and-white (without modifying the console) is to keep the pause button depressed.

Most gamers today (even nostalgic ones) might not lament the lack of black-and-white play, but the color/B&W switch is a dumbswitch which can be assigned other functions if the cartridge is so programmed. Some 2600 carts use the color/B&W position for gameplay functions; in fact, Starmaster is among them. In that game, toggling the color/B&W switch is used to call up the Galactic Chart, according to AtariAge's Starmaster manual.

So how does it fare with Space Shuttle? That game used the switch to toggle primary engines.

About the quotes thang, I never even bother with it. My posts are usually long-winded enough already...even before I hit edit to add more junk in there!

[ 07-05-2001: Message edited by: Nukey Shay ]

quote:

Originally posted by -^Cro§Bow^-:

Not sure why you have problems getting Imagic games to go into the thing. They fit fine in my 7800. Tempest has stated that the only carts he has trouble with..are the Telegames releases I think...or something like that.

I just had to push really hard at first to get my Dragon Fire, Cosmic Ark, Trick Shot, and Atlantis carts to get in there. But over time...they seem to fit in quite easily now.

It's possible I could get my Imagic carts in with a little more coaxing, but on several occasions I've tried hard enough that I felt it might be a grave mistake to try any harder. Maybe more than one case design was used? Or maybe there is a difference in the cartridge slots? Or maybe I just need to put my back into it.

something else I have never seen posted...but you should know about.

Space Shuttle can still be played...I don't remember what the function of the bw/color switch was for on the game..but I played it first on my 7800 and was really quite good at it...

Also...On Starmaster...

Here is a little undocumented trick.

In the StarMaster manual it says to leave the difficulty switches alone. I know why...because they will also serve to switch to the map...without needing the bw/color switch. The problem with using them on a 2600 is that they would reverse the function of the bw/color switch and make it confusing to remember which was which. However, since the 7800 as you stated uses that switch for pause...you can use the left difficulty switch on the unit just like the old BW/Color switch.

You see...there has been a workaround for nearly everything on the 7800. I still don't see a compatibility issue on the older model 7800s.

whoa..

Nukey shay...you say that the switch controlled the Primary engines?

I know I played Space Shuttle on my 7800 as that was when My buddy got the game. I was able to play completely through it several times...and able to dock with that crazy satellite so much..that I got really bored of doing it..and would eventually land.

So I know I was able to get around that.

Perhaps it was something you only had to just switch to for a second or something?

The answer's in the manual, here is the pertinent part.

I. Important Note about your Flight Deck Console

Game System Flight Deck Console

Power On/Off Internal Power

Color/B&W Primary Engines

Left Diff. Backup Engines

Right Diff. Cargo Doors/Landing Gear

Game Select Status

Game Reset Activate Countdown

If the Primary Engines on your game system is inaccessible, the Left

Difficulty Switch (Backup Engines) should be used. Otherwise, shutdown

Backup Engines and DO NOT TOUCH!

Mitch