IGNORED

Rainbow Buster

TheBF

Someone told me a long time ago, the only "stupid questions" are the one we don't ask. :)

The racket is a sprite to the computer so the shape we see does not matter. Only the dimensions of the racket which is a square made of 4 characters. 

It all has to do with how you detect "coincidence" between the ball and the racket and then how make sure that the ball has moved away from the racket before you test for coincidence again. The "devil is in the details" as we say in English. It looks like I am detecting again before the ball has been moved far enough away.

It means I will have to test some different methods. 

I think I have a better method now but will play with it more before releasing another version. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok I think I made it better. Now the ball takes over after a collision and moves itself clear of the thing it hit before we re-enter the primary game loop. 

New files are at the top of the thread.

Seems to play more reliably. 

I actually won 1 game at "gamer speed". That's a first. 

Updated source is here

CAMEL99-ITC/BREAKOUT.FTH at master · bfox9900/CAMEL99-ITC · GitHub

Big changes are in the words WALL-CLR and PADDLE-CLR which move the ball several pixels after a collision. 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It looks like I can no longer edit the first post so here is new version of the game with better paddle handling.

I made use of the Forth multi-tasker to give the paddle it's own workspace so it interferes much less with the ball motion. 

I can't seem to make the ball go into the wall with this version. Let me know if it happens to you. 

I can beat it at GAMER level, but I struggle at Olympic level.

There is also a score multiplier now that multiplies your score by the number of balls you have remaining.  :) 

EDIT: UPDATED FILES ARE IN A POST BELOW. 

Edited by TheBF
CODE mistake
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, TheBF said:

It looks like I can no longer edit the first post ....

Subscribers can edit the first post indefinitely in the TI-99/4A Development sub-forum, but only for a limited time (~30 days?) in the TI-99/4A Computers forum. Perhaps special dispensation is in your future.

...lee

22 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Subscribers can edit the first post indefinitely in the TI-99/4A Development sub-forum, but only for a limited time (~30 days?) in the TI-99/4A Computers forum. Perhaps special dispensation is in your future.

...lee

Yes that's what I thought.  Maybe I need to renew my subscription. I don't remember when I last paid something. 

Thank you for this update! 
the handling of the racket I would say is great now!

I managed to finish the wall at Beginner level only, I'm a bit slow :p

However, I noticed a problem when you finish the wall and want to restart the game. When you press FIRE the game restart but on the same screen with the ball and paddle that appears without the wall and with the end of level markings remaining in over impression.

bug.thumb.png.16cdf869d866f4bbcc5f109d71392c0a.png

By the way, even continuing to play the game, the balls number decrease to zero and then increase again every time a ball is lost.

This doesn't happen instead when the balls runs out during the game, in which case the game starts over as it should.

I hope this information can help you track down the issue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheBF said:

Yes that's what I thought.  Maybe I need to renew my subscription. I don't remember when I last paid something. 

I guess I was insufficiently clear—even subscribers cannot indefinitely edit the first post in the TI-99/4A Computers forum, where this thread happens to be located.

..lee

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ti99iuc said:

Thank you for this update! 
the handling of the racket I would say is great now!

I managed to finish the wall at Beginner level only, I'm a bit slow 😛

However, I noticed a problem when you finish the wall and want to restart the game. When you press FIRE the game restart but on the same screen with the ball and paddle that appears without the wall and with the end of level markings remaining in over impression.

bug.thumb.png.16cdf869d866f4bbcc5f109d71392c0a.png

By the way, even continuing to play the game, the balls number decrease to zero and then increase again every time a ball is lost.

This doesn't happen instead when the balls runs out during the game, in which case the game starts over as it should.

I hope this information can help you track down the issue.

Thank you. That's the stuff I need. 

Ok.  I will try to find how that is happening and fix it. 

• Like 3

OK.  I think I have something people can enjoy now. 

I had a big error in the logic around winning the game. 

I have also slowed down the level 2 play just a bit so it is more accessible. 

These files are the new build and the video shows me winning a game, pressing fire and restarting. 

BREAKOUT BREAKOUU

• Like 5