IGNORED

PEB Help/Advise Please

I have my first PEB (push button, but with the short backplane) which I've taken apart and done the power lead switch over for 240v (as in UK) and it powers up and connects to my 99 fine

The 32kb memory card appears to be working according to TI XB (24480 bytes of program space free?)

My 838-Speech card works fine (many thanks @Shift838) when I try Parsec

It has an RS232 card, but I'm not sure how to test that

Finally, it has a CorComp 9900 Disk Controller (DS/DD) and therein lies my biggest issue

When I power on the 99 the menu screen has option 1 for disk manager, but nothing happens when I press 1 other than the disk light comes on for a few seconds. After that, pressing 1 always brings the disk light on for a few seconds but none of the other options (like 2 for TI basic or space for colour bar) respond until I switch the 99 off/on

My final problem is the PEB power switch (push button type) is a bit broken and is "always on". Not sure if it's possible to get a replacement or whether it just needs a new spring (at least it's stuck on and not off!)

Any thoughts and/or help/advise would be greatly appreciated please

Many Thanks

My system is set up for convenience and not because of a malfunction. I have EVERYTHING plugged into a power strip. I turn on my system from there. That powers up everything EXCEPT for the console (which is supposed to be powered up last) and is OFF and must be turned on separately and a standalone 5.25" DSk3 and my printer which is seldom used these days. It has been set up this way for more than 20 years and has worked flawlessly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

I have my first PEB (push button, but with the short backplane) which I've taken apart and done the power lead switch over for 240v (as in UK) and it powers up and connects to my 99 fine

The 32kb memory card appears to be working according to TI XB (24480 bytes of program space free?)

Finally, it has a CorComp 9900 Disk Controller (DS/DD) and therein lies my biggest issue

When I power on the 99 the menu screen has option 1 for disk manager, but nothing happens when I press 1 other than the disk light comes on for a few seconds. After that, pressing 1 always brings the disk light on for a few seconds but none of the other options (like 2 for TI basic or space for colour bar) respond until I switch the 99 off/on

My final problem is the PEB power switch (push button type) is a bit broken and is "always on". Not sure if it's possible to get a replacement or whether it just needs a new spring (at least it's stuck on and not off!)

Many Thanks

Disk manager is on a disk.. hence.. why it is trying to load it when you select it. and it's just looking and looking which is why you have to power cycle

If you need a disk I can make you one, lmk I can put it in my store for a couple bucks + shipping Also I recommend replacing the roms on that board with the miller's graphics roms which get rid of that title screen and fix some compatibility bugs  I sell those as well

Power switch is likely bad so you will need to replace it or just use a power strip

Greg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Disk manager is on a disk.. hence.. why it is trying to load it when you select it. and it's just looking and looking which is why you have to power cycle

If you need a disk I can make you one, lmk I can put it in my store for a couple bucks + shipping

Power switch is likely bad so you will need to replace it or just use a power strip

Greg

That would be great if you could do that please @arcadeshopper (re shipping, I'm in the UK so don't know if that's an issue)

I can live with the broken switch for now, but will keep an eye out for a replacement. Not keen on opening it all back up again tbh as I had to drill out a rear screw to get into it to do the power mod. But I made sure I didn't over tighten the screws when I put it back together!

I'd like to test if the drive let's me read/write or load/save (to prove it works) but I guess without the disk manager disk I won't be able to format a disk? (I have an FG99 if there's something I could run from that)

Thanks

26 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

My system is set up for convenience and not because of a malfunction. I have EVERYTHING plugged into a power strip. I turn on my system from there. That powers up everything EXCEPT for the console (which is supposed to be powered up last) and is OFF and must be turned on separately and a standalone 5.25" DSk3 and my printer which is seldom used these days. It has been set up this way for more than 20 years and has worked flawlessly.

Thanks. I have all my systems on a power strip currently so can live with it as it is until I can find a spare.

After searching for quite some time to find a replacement switch for the push button PEB, this is the closest that I've been able to find.  I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it might work. I don't have the original PEB mount for it and will have to fabricate something.  So, if it is something you're interested in trying, definitely look if over closely to see if it will work for you.

18 minutes ago, Atari2600PAL said:

That would be great if you could do that please @arcadeshopper (re shipping, I'm in the UK so don't know if that's an issue)

I can live with the broken switch for now, but will keep an eye out for a replacement. Not keen on opening it all back up again tbh as I had to drill out a rear screw to get into it to do the power mod. But I made sure I didn't over tighten the screws when I put it back together!

I'd like to test if the drive let's me read/write or load/save (to prove it works) but I guess without the disk manager disk I won't be able to format a disk? (I have an FG99 if there's something I could run from that)

Thanks

https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/Corcomp-Disk-Manager-Disk/p/552587967/category=0

1 minute ago, FALCOR4 said:

After searching for quite some time to find a replacement switch for the push button PEB, this is the closest that I've been able to find.  I haven't installed it yet, but it looks like it might work. I don't have the original PEB mount for it and will have to fabricate something.  So, if it is something you're interested in trying, definitely look if over closely to see if it will work for you.

Thanks, will keep that one in mind. I stupidly didn't take any pictures while I had it open

2 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Thanks. I have all my systems on a power strip currently so can live with it as it is until I can find a spare.

Bare-in-mind, that CEMF from the PEB's big transformer, and also power returned from spinning motors, can on occasion damage low-power equipment connected in a row together on a power-strip, as tripping the switch on the power-strip, removes all the loads from the low-reactance path to the local grid, but leaves them connected to one another!:ponder:

15 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Bare-in-mind, that CEMF from the PEB's big transformer, and also power returned from spinning motors, can on occasion damage low-power equipment connected in a row together on a power-strip, as tripping the switch on the power-strip, removes all the loads from the low-reactance path to the local grid, but leaves them connected to one another!:ponder:

Thanks for the info. I use individually switched strips and only turn on the items I'm using. So hopefully I'm minimising any risk.

6 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Many Thanks

i would suggest replacing the stock CC9900 EPROMS with the updated Millers Graphics EPROMS for the CC9900.  It addresses bugs and other things as well as brings back the regular TI boot screen.  I believe @arcadeshopper sells them.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shift838 said:

i would suggest replacing the stock CC9900 EPROMS with the updated Millers Graphics EPROMS for the CC9900.  It addresses bugs and other things as well as brings back the regular TI boot screen.  I believe @arcadeshopper sells them.

Thanks, will look into it

I’ve tested the drive with tunnels of doom disk and it gives me an error 6, so am suspecting the drive is faulty (if the floppy is ok, but I’ve no way to test that). So not sure what to do at the moment. Will try the disk manager disks @arcadeshopper is sending me to see what happens before I start hunting for a new drive

7 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Thanks, will look into it

I’ve tested the drive with tunnels of doom disk and it gives me an error 6, so am suspecting the drive is faulty (if the floppy is ok, but I’ve no way to test that). So not sure what to do at the moment. Will try the disk manager disks @arcadeshopper is sending me to see what happens before I start hunting for a new drive

I would suggest getting rid of the floppy drive if you don't have any floppies anyway.  Just go with a Gotek, you can use floppy disk images on a thumb drive.  just cycle through teh disk images on there.  Make sure if you do to use the FlashFloppy firmware.  It's much easier to use.  Many of us TI'ers and other vintage computer enthusiasts are using these now.  super easy to get disk images onto a fat32 formatted USB thumb drive for any type of PC.  Very easy to make your own disk images with TI99DIR and TIIMAGETOOL just to name a couple.

Gotek in Black:

Amazon.com: GoTEK SFR1M44-U100 3.5 Inch 1.44MB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Black : Electronics

FlashFloppy Firmware:

keirf/flashfloppy: Floppy drive emulator for Gotek hardware (github.com)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

I would suggest getting rid of the floppy drive if you don't have any floppies anyway.  Just go with a Gotek, you can use floppy disk images on a thumb drive.  just cycle through teh disk images on there.  Make sure if you do to use the FlashFloppy firmware.  It's much easier to use.  Many of us TI'ers and other vintage computer enthusiasts are using these now.  super easy to get disk images onto a fat32 formatted USB thumb drive for any type of PC.  Very easy to make your own disk images with TI99DIR and TIIMAGETOOL just to name a couple.

Gotek in Black:

Amazon.com: GoTEK SFR1M44-U100 3.5 Inch 1.44MB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Black : Electronics

FlashFloppy Firmware:

keirf/flashfloppy: Floppy drive emulator for Gotek hardware (github.com)

Or you can buy one pre-flashed in my store..  

I’m into floppies, my C64 has one and I, rather perversely, prefer floppies/tapes over the SD cards I have for each system I’m collecting. Takes me back to my youth in a nostalgic way I guess

For a more practical use on the 99 I have the parts for a TIPI on the way

Would just be nice to have a working floppy in the PEB even though, in reality, I probably don’t really need one

As a full time carer currently it’s more about the collecting/playing around for now as I don’t get much time to myself to do anything more substantial or worthwhile with my hobby

Thanks to @arcadeshopper pointing me to the instructions for the DM2K utility I've managed to use it now

But when I selected to format a disk the disk light came on but there was no mechanical noise whatsoever from the drive, so after 15 minutes I gave up on that

I then tried to do a directory of my tunnels of doom floppy and again got a light but no sound, followed by an error 6 in DM2K (the same error I got with tunnels of doom cartridge)

Does this sound like I need a new floppy drive please? or could it be the controller?

Many thanks 

Just pulled the drive so I could see what happens when it's accessed and, apart from the red light, its as dead as a dodo

No obvious visual signs of any issues with components and cables so I guess I need to find a new drive to try as I don't have any real electronic knowledge (basic soldering and checking voltages and continuity are about my limit)

4 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

I’m into floppies, my C64 has one and I, rather perversely, prefer floppies/tapes over the SD cards I have for each system I’m collecting. Takes me back to my youth in a nostalgic way I guess

I still have a 1541 on the shelf, and one day I'll try to sample the sounds of that drive to be included in MAME (for the C64, of course). There's nothing like the head hammering of a 1541. 🙂

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Atari2600PAL said:

Thanks

There are Disk Managers that work from the Final Grom. Here is some

https://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/

1 minute ago, RickyDean said:

There are Disk Managers that work from the Final Grom. Here is some

https://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/

Yep. Tried the dm2k, after a faltering start, and that plus other tests/checks suggest the drive is no good (and beyond my ability to try and repair)

Have ordered a couple of working half height drives to check if the controller is ok

• Like 1