IGNORED

HSC20 Round 9: "EA40" Hard Hat Mack, Axis Assassin, Archon and Worms?

Hard Hat Mack, Axis Assassin, Archon and Worms?

over to Carlsson for the explanation:

On 4/29/2023 at 12:26 AM, carlsson said:

@therealbountybob For round 10 (two rounds away from the current one), we should play Hard Hat Mack and Axis Assassin in celebration of the Electronic Arts 40 years release. Indeed Archon (hard to play in HSC settings), M.U.L.E. (already is continuously played) and Worms? (not sure it even generates scores?) also were included in that first batch.

We'll do something with MULE after this 3 Week round ending Weds 31st May 8pm UK time :idea:

Some of these links will need updating...

Hard Hat Mack

we all know this one. Classic platform action over 3 stages . Note: Press Space to drop the rivet gun on the first screen. Players may want to practice the other screens - press [2] or [3] and then [Start] to set starting level. On screen two make use of the double jump by holding in fire to get past the moving jaws thingy. You can jump (forward) by pressing fire, no need to move at the same time, you don't need to be too near the edges. Once you've figured the screens out it's all about discipline ok and precision :D

Downloads

Mack Fandal XEXs hi-res or colour or colour versions, Atarimania Instructions, Atarionline.pl XEX/ATR

Hard Hat MackHard Hat Mack (color version)Hard Hat Mack (color version 2)

Axis Assassin

another goodie, not played since HSC2 :!: Fandal holds the record with 185,100

Play from the default orange "V" shaped level.

Axis Assassin

Downloads

looks like atarionine have a version where the inner lair works on 130XE (requires translator at least if you want to enter your initials) http://www.atarionline.pl/arch/A/Axis Assassin/Axis Assassin (1983)(Electronic Arts)(US).atr

fandals version may not work as above?

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3767

See carlsson's post below for the best write up: Axis Assassin Info

atarimania has limited info, comments below:

- You can also move down onto the grid and even fire in both directions there.

- It seems only the blue spiders(?) are attacking you, while the brown ones are creating the web.

BTW, there's more to the game than just the Tempest-like levels. When the spider appears, press the space bar to activate the smart bomb. If your timing is right, you'll be flown to another screen. [not sure this is correct - trbb]

Nice game, it is like Tempest but it is not Tempest. And I like Tempest much

Archon

We've HSC played Archon before so here's the edited blurb from last time

Archon

One of the greatest games of all time Archon has made it into the HSC again and it still doesn't even have any scoring!

If you've not played before Turn up the TV volume, load Archon and let the demo mode play though, there are two sets of guys; light and dark, you move one of them around the board and when they overlap the opponents, it's battle time! The winner's piece remains on the square. If you wipe out the opponents side or capture the 5 power points you are victorious!

NOTE: the light side pieces are stronger on the light squares and vice versa.

Downloads

Fandal XEX

Instructions and reviews on Atarimania

slx found this pdf of the original full manual :thumbsup:

The challenges

Play each one using both Light and Dark sides (so you get two sets of points for each challenge). NTSC players - let me know if you think the game is too hard to beat - on PAL(UK) it's challenging but not impossible!

1 play Archon! 1pt

2 win by capturing 5 power points 2pts

3 win by eliminating the opponent 2pts

4 no spells allowed - win by elimination 2pts

5 sacrifice your wizard/sauceror - move them into a battle at the first opportunity - no other moves, and let them be killed. No spells allowed. Opponent moves first - win by elimination 2pts

6 NEW Wizard/Sauceror spells and Knights/Goblins only, all other pieces must sacrifice when attacked. Wizard/Sauceror can defend themselves. Can revive one knight/goblin, can use all spells e.g. summon elemental.

Bonus play 2 player (not on your own!!), 2pts for each game - max 10pts

Worms?

Worms?

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3391

probably just a bonus might be more fun with multiplayer you tell me if you get anywhere! There's an interesting discussion with the author about the game on one of the Antic Interview Pod Casts :)

Have fun, Join in everyone :waving:

Edited by therealbountybob
Axis Assassin version that Inner Lair works
  • Like 1

Yay for these games, just turned 39 years and 50 weeks old!

For those wondering who didn't read my post in the M.U.L.E. thread, it appears that Electronic Arts packaged and shipped all the first five games on Friday May 20, 1983, which arrived in stores to start selling on Monday May 23. The company itself was founded on May 27, 1982 so it took them short of one year to go from founding to secure and publish the first set of games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Yay for these games, just turned 39 years and 50 weeks old!

For those wondering who didn't read my post in the M.U.L.E. thread, it appears that Electronic Arts packaged and shipped all the first five games on Friday May 20, 1983, which arrived in stores to start selling on Monday May 23. The company itself was founded on May 27, 1982 so it took them short of one year to go from founding to secure and publish the first set of games.

so this 3 week round covers this nicely :cool:

• Like 1

Slight scoring issue with Hard Hat Mack, in that you can all but complete a level, die, and then finish the level very quickly, and receive most of the timer bonus.

It took me a while to remember how to play it, but I eventually completed the three screens

Screen 2:1 7850

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McKong said:

Slight scoring issue with Hard Hat Mack, in that you can all but complete a level, die, and then finish the level very quickly, and receive most of the timer bonus.

It took me a while to remember how to play it, but I eventually completed the three screens

Screen 2:1 7850

Yes McKong  I think I remember this from last time so for Hard Hat Mack we will play for levels completed - please post how far you get.

First set of scores:

Hard Hat Mack - 855 pts, just reached level 1:2.

It is the first time I have managed to clear the first level, so slightly impressed with myself.

Axis Assassin - 46350 pts.

Not entirely up to date what to do, but a fun shooter. I imagine one can stay longer on the screens and collect points before shooting the big spider?

Worms? - 108 pts (red player)

A game where you don't play very much at all, other than give commands every now and then when the worm doesn't know where to move. You either use the keyboard: space to select direction and any other key to move, or use paddles where you rotate the paddle for direction and button to move. Set the other players to auto in order to get them computer controlled, it seems. So close to M.U.L.E. and yet so very far away from it, at the same time.

I'll try some Archon scenarios at a later point.

axis-assassin-46350.thumb.jpg.a03e40cd00ee8d8f8902b41beb32f99d.jpg

worms-108.thumb.jpg.d8a65fd8e848c1b4395a4c61888ed9ab.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 9:26 AM, McKong said:

HHM Level 12 

:thumbsup:

Players may want to practice the three screens - press 2 or 3 and then start to set starting level. Once you've figured the screens out it's all about precision. I'll iupdate the first post with this and some other hints.

HHM Screen 3 for me so far, score 4,495 and 6,405 to make McKong's point about the scoring being flawed ;)

Photo4177.jpg.b0ab7b29b735b34d4698f7ebfcf552b1.jpg

Axis Assassin 81,080

Photo4178.jpg.1ef621c50e42cabed01d3a2f0ec1162f.jpgPhoto4179.jpg.9cee198db9a391d7142482073b01565f.jpg

Will hit some Archon tomorrow, not played since last time here!

[edit]

atarimania:

BTW, there's more to the game than just the Tempest-like levels. When the spider appears, press the space bar to activate the smart bomb. If your timing is right, you'll be flown to another screen.

- will give this a try next time too :)

Updated:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348454-hsc20-current-standings/

On 5/15/2023 at 7:40 PM, therealbountybob said:

[edit]

atarimania:

BTW, there's more to the game than just the Tempest-like levels. When the spider appears, press the space bar to activate the smart bomb. If your timing is right, you'll be flown to another screen.

- will give this a try next time too :)

Not sure if this is a thing at all; you seem to go to the spider to end the level when you get a shot on him - don't think space did anything ?!!

Axis Assassin 107,550

Photo4180.jpg.972cc52c23ccccca49811c13cc295590.jpg

Improved on HHM to level 5 (9,325) there is less time I think on the 2nd round - I ran out of time on the 2nd board!

Photo4181.jpg.956c42bebd45ec7b60d04653f07eb590.jpgPhoto4182.jpg.13c4dabc5c914c1826958a56ec525c53.jpg

• Like 1

After reading what the inlay says, combined with what Mobygames says, I understand that Axis Assassin works like this:

Mode 1: The Grid. There are 5 zones of 20 grids each. When the Master Arachnid appears, race towards him to escape the grid, or release a pulse bomb (you only got one per grid!) to reach the Nest.

Mode 2: The Nest. In this screen you are free flying and trying to shoot your way through the nest in order to free your comrade, the Axis Assassin which the Master Arachnid has captured. Every fighter you left behind in the previous grid will reappear to battle you. If you hit the Master Arachnid, he will release another fighter. If you release the Axis Assassin, you get an extra life and go to the next grid.

The scoring is as follows:

Hunters: 250-750 pts

Spinners: 100 pts

Spores: 100 pts (unless they reach bottom of the grid and turn into Mutant Guards)

Mutant Guards: 200 pts

Xterminators (later grids): 100 pts and which need to be destroyed in tandem

Each web strand you destroy is worth 50 pts

Each web sweep (grid) you survive is worth 1000 pts

Thus you can clear grids without getting into the Nest if you don't want to gamble to get an extra life, as supposedly the risks are great to lose a life inside the Nest.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Thanks carlsson, will link from 1st post :thumbsup: It  still sounds confusing - I didn't see anything like a pulse bomb... so each stage has a chance to get into the nest you do this by shooting the spider and getting pulled into him., probably didn't notice the difference. Will play more soon.

Going to simplify / reduce the Archon challenges as it was from last times end of season to give more points for people etc.

Axis Assassin 141,600

played a bit more, you can select the starting level using joystick on the title screen (they change colour after each 10) but we are playing from the start each time. No sign of any bombs but it's a decent enough game, improved to the screen with the corners that wrap around, probably level 10...  The webs can block you in. End of level spider seems to send crazy stuff at you but your firepower is superior at least on the first batch of levels :ponder:;)

Photo4183.jpg.8c768291a6eb0f14d0220fb918e252de.jpg

• Like 1

I'm doing the Archon challenges first.  All played with the light side and the computer going first:

Capture 5 power squares

Sacrificing Wizard and eliminating opponent (by default, I guess I did the other challenges too, right?  :)

Will play the dark side next.  BTW, there's actually a pretty simple strategy to beating the computer.  With timing and patience, you can go after him on the squares that give him the most health and take him out pretty easily.  I'll share it later on in the round, if people want the tips.  :)

Archon 5 squares.png

Archon No Wizard.png

Archon No Wizard Elmination.png

• Like 2

Axis Assassin - 63100 pts.

I managed to release the pulse bomb when the big spider shows up multiple times. The timing is not that important, you can release it even after shooting the spider. You are transported to an Omega Race like subgame, with nearly impossible movement. It is like a combination of four directions + rotation, and enemies everywhere. Like the instructions say, don't shoot at the spider in the center as it will release a ton of fighters. I thought I managed to release my captured axis assassin once, but it didn't really show up on the life counter. Generally speaking, since we're going for highest possible score, ignore the Nest and if you accidentally end up there, hope you won't lose a life on this level that doesn't provide that many points.

axis-assassin-63100.thumb.jpg.537890dcaf810378757139f8264f016a.jpg

Worms? - 162 pts.

This game is mostly a random number generator, in particular if you're playing single against the computer. Once you have set a pattern, the worm keeps going until it can't determine the next move. If you're lucky, two of the opponents will collide early on, meaning you can capture lots of squares with reduced competition. Perhaps the challenge should be to fill the board as much as possible. Once or twice I managed to survive enough to have the board filled.

worms-162.thumb.jpg.7caae32598052b2da521359a934bb765.jpg

worms-fullboard.thumb.jpg.728ef90e61f9d1460c8f1044e04a735e.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Axis Assassin - 63100 pts.

I managed to release the pulse bomb when the big spider shows up multiple times. The timing is not that important, you can release it even after shooting the spider. You are transported to an Omega Race like subgame, with nearly impossible movement. It is like a combination of four directions + rotation, and enemies everywhere. Like the instructions say, don't shoot at the spider in the center as it will release a ton of fighters. I thought I managed to release my captured axis assassin once, but it didn't really show up on the life counter. Generally speaking, since we're going for highest possible score, ignore the Nest and if you accidentally end up there, hope you won't lose a life on this level that doesn't provide that many points.

Hmm wonder if my old multiboot copy is not the full disk version, think I might have an original somewhere, if not will re-download the sucker :D

Any time you release the pulse bomb, the screen turns into a 40x25 pattern of filled squares in light blue, white and orange. If you release it during the grid level, all the current enemies simply should be wiped but it continues. If you release it when the master arachnid is present, the next thing you see is an orange warp effect like something from Star Wars, and you end up in the Omega Race style screen with a timer ticking down. I suppose if I played in an emulator, it would be easier to take a screenshot of this screen.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Hard Hat Mack: 1500

Archon: played to stalemate on light side and played as dark side and lost

20230523_213707.jpg

20230524_000430.jpg

13 minutes ago, Deteacher said:

Interesting!  I didn't think you could have a stalemate unless the last 2 pieces simultaneously died on the battlefield.

:!: perhaps so many goes where neither side attacks :ponder:

Managed a couple of wins getting all the 5 power points, bit too easy on PAL at least but still fun to play ;) Marius and Dinky this is a great game for 2 players :)

Photo4187.thumb.jpg.e05f72210df83e2f5dc320c423e9aad7.jpgPhoto4188.thumb.jpg.71ab33b15c6d9966cb89fd9c73a5bc0e.jpg

Improved to level 6 on HHM - time pressure makes the 2nd round much harder!

Photo4189.thumb.jpg.3363535800a2382a29e7d546d516e23d.jpg

Will hit some more Axis Assassin before the round is out too.

• Like 1

Your best pieces in Archon are the Unicorn (Light Side) and Basilisks (Dark Side) because of the speed of their attack and quick recharge rate.  When you're playing to eliminate the other side, you can pretty much wipe out the computer with those pieces.  My trick to beating them is this:

As soon as a battle starts, move down to the bottom of the screen.  Then time your shot so the computer runs into your shot.  Just be careful not to allow him to shoot you on a diagonal.  He's pretty accurate.

This tactic works with all pieces that shoot, but you have to learn to adjust your timing based on the speed of your shot so they will run into your shot.

• Like 1

Finished all of the Archon challenges:

• Light, 5 power points
  • Light, dark moves first, wizard suicide, elimination (got lucky on this one.  Just had a golem and a bunch of knights left!)
  • Dark, 5 power points
  • Dark, light moves first, sorcerer suicide, elimination

image.png.85f1ba3f8ea1990a9f5161bedb627594.png image.png.66cd9780551a36a6cb187113e095cf67.png

image.png.fc084f3da77300c488abb524bb01860a.png image.png.0b8da4a77798197a2c5a1ca620c1a601.png

• Like 2