IGNORED

HSC20 Round 9: "EA40" Hard Hat Mack, Axis Assassin, Archon and Worms?

On 5/24/2023 at 2:17 PM, therealbountybob said:

:!: perhaps so many goes where neither side attacks

Yep that's what happened.   This was the first day I ever played this one.   Heard it was great and it really is fun.   I think I have a better grasp of it to do much better hopefully this weekend 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Yep that's what happened.   This was the first day I ever played this one.   Heard it was great and it really is fun.   I think I have a better grasp of it to do much better hopefully this weekend 

2 hours ago, McKong said:

Played Archon, but need some more practice as I couldn't win!

It's a great game but sort of spoiled by being too easy eventually, saying that the sequel Archon II:The Adept is a killer and I've never beaten it! though deteacher's hints about Archon are good using the edges is not as fun as duking it out in the middle. What's nice is even the little guys can attack the Dragon etc and get a blow two in if you go at them with a bunch of them in turn.

Axis is good, worth more plays everyone :waving:

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Ok, so I played it once and was obliterated by the computer. Part of it I blame my joystick for not responding properly to various directions + fire all the time.

Made me laugh C :D

I had a bit of going right trouble and lost a few battles but STILL WON!!!

On 5/27/2023 at 11:21 AM, therealbountybob said:

ok must get poll sorted for Round 10:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/351671-hsc20-round-10-poll/

New tougher Archon challenge adding to the first post now :idea:

Reminder this round ends Weds 31st May 8pm UK time

Just when I thought I was done with Archon... :)

Okay, new challenge accepted.  Beat it with knights/goblins and spells only.

The only spells I used were Revive, Summon and Imprison.  Wasn't quite sure if I was allowed to use the Teleport spell to move my spell caster to another space, so I steered clear of that.

The computer is a real chicken at this game.  It almost never attacks a piece on an opposite-colored space, in an attempt to force you to make the "unfavorable" move.  However, early in the game it likes to cover the power points when the spaces change colors and then forgets to move them back.  If you're patient enough, you can do almost every battle on a space with a maximum advantage.

Oh, and it's funny (and smart) to attack a Shapeshifter with a Knight!

image.png.cb75f43f179549d204aaab68a6133458.png image.png.e84b301c8a78acf4aaf1b5e4aa355bbb.png

• Like 2

Some good posts above. Well plaid rdrunner on the new Archon challenge :thumbsup:

Axis Assassin the ATR verion from Fandal does go to the scrambled screen for a second when you press space on the spider and beeps, sometimes it went to a black screen with just a pixel in the top right and locked up. I ran the 800 translator first and this allowed the name entry to work on the high score table.

Did get to level 11 on the XEX version I had - it doesn't have the space screen or the difficulty select pre-title screen, nee to check whether it plays like normal or hard on the ATR version. I'm on 130XE anyone else got the inner lair bit working on Atari hardware?

Round 10 poll EVERYONE...

Reminder this round ends

TOMORROW Weds 31st May 8pm UK time

Axis Assassin: 310,750 (default settings)

I figured out how to (sometimes) get the extra life from the bonus screen.  First, to reach the screen, you need to use the smart bomb at the right time, which is at the point where your ship is being sucked towards the giant spider at the end of the round (bombing the spider when it first appears did NOT work for me).  Once there, the ship you're trying to rescue starts out in the lower right corner of the spider's box, but it then randomly moves to some other random corner, one of which is very close to your starting point.  I would just tap to the right until you are lined up with where the ship "might" move to, then VERY carefully tap down (too hard and you crash) until pointed straight down at the box.  If the bonus ship appears, shoot open the box and zoom in before the timer runs out.  If it doesn't, no big deal, just let the timer expire and move on to the next stage.  Precision is important or you'll crash into something instead of rescuing the ship, but once you figure out the right spot, it's not so hard to pull off.

I was able to use this strategy at the end of almost every early stage to build up a full stock of lives (4).  However, I'm not good enough at the main game to survive the later stages without using the smart bomb, so I would stop playing the bonus stage after round 10 or so in favor of just getting as far as I can with the lives I have.  Not sure what round number I got to, but the grid color was white when I died.

Overall, there's no real substitute for the original Tempest, but Axis Assassin gave it a good try.  It's a buggy mess and I can't imagine playing this game with an actual joystick and having to hit the space bar to bomb.  Still, the bonus stage added an interesting element.

I just wish the game wasn't so hard so quickly.  I goofed around with the stage select and tried playing the last selectable round (which had an invisible grid).  The enemies were so blindingly fast that I lost all my ships in a matter of seconds.  Either it's meant to be impossible on later rounds like this or I'm missing something!

image.png.f7b297d0a072e41a108102906951145a.png

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Axis Assassin the ATR verion from Fandal does go to the scrambled screen for a second when you press space on the spider and beeps, sometimes it went to a black screen with just a pixel in the top right and locked up. I ran the 800 translator first and this allowed the name entry to work on the high score table.

Did get to level 11 on the XEX version I had - it doesn't have the space screen or the difficulty select pre-title screen, nee to check whether it plays like normal or hard on the ATR version. I'm on 130XE anyone else got the inner lair bit working on Atari hardware?

AXIS ASSASSIN

Atarionline.pl have http://www.atarionline.pl/arch/A/Axis Assassin/Axis Assassin (1983)(Electronic Arts)(US).atr

this runs fine on my 130XE and have now seen the inner lair in action! sort of asteroids like... failed to get an extra life so now going to digest rdrunner's comprehensive info above :thumbsup:

Round 10 poll EVERYONE...

Reminder this round ends

TONIGHT Weds 31st May 8pm UK time

11 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Axis Assassin: 310,750 (default settings)

I figured out how to (sometimes) get the extra life from the bonus screen.  First, to reach the screen, you need to use the smart bomb at the right time, which is at the point where your ship is being sucked towards the giant spider at the end of the round (bombing the spider when it first appears did NOT work for me).  Once there, the ship you're trying to rescue starts out in the lower right corner of the spider's box, but it then randomly moves to some other random corner, one of which is very close to your starting point.  I would just tap to the right until you are lined up with where the ship "might" move to, then VERY carefully tap down (too hard and you crash) until pointed straight down at the box.  If the bonus ship appears, shoot open the box and zoom in before the timer runs out.  If it doesn't, no big deal, just let the timer expire and move on to the next stage.  Precision is important or you'll crash into something instead of rescuing the ship, but once you figure out the right spot, it's not so hard to pull off.

I was able to use this strategy at the end of almost every early stage to build up a full stock of lives (4).  However, I'm not good enough at the main game to survive the later stages without using the smart bomb, so I would stop playing the bonus stage after round 10 or so in favor of just getting as far as I can with the lives I have.  Not sure what round number I got to, but the grid color was white when I died.

Overall, there's no real substitute for the original Tempest, but Axis Assassin gave it a good try.  It's a buggy mess and I can't imagine playing this game with an actual joystick and having to hit the space bar to bomb.  Still, the bonus stage added an interesting element.

I just wish the game wasn't so hard so quickly.  I goofed around with the stage select and tried playing the last selectable round (which had an invisible grid).  The enemies were so blindingly fast that I lost all my ships in a matter of seconds.  Either it's meant to be impossible on later rounds like this or I'm missing something!

Perhaps worth a try on the easier difficulty if you have any time, wonder if it wraps around to the next difficulty etc. White screens are 3rd batch of 10 if the menu level select is accurate ;)

Better get in before the round end ;-)

Archon

Two Player...... Managed to Win 🙂  Other, player complained about the joystick being to heavy and unresponsive.

The two player Knight battles are supurb. Wish the computer could play a human a bit more  🙂

Imagine an online version and two player games ???

1497759782_Fullscreencapture31052023194416.thumb.jpg.c23c0dfbeafda8759602587f14045d38.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, therealbountybob said:

Watching this now is it Mrs RT you are fighting?! - like you gave them the bad joystick - bonus point :D

Will do final tables when video is over!

You big bully :!:

that last battle made me laugh, fun round thanks for playing everyone...

Congratulations to rdrunner for the win on the original EA games set :thumbsup: Was glad to have had another look at Axis Assassin, the inner lair bit was a new discovery. Archon still a hoot for 2 player and HHM was worth a quick dust off again. I'll leave Worms? to the fishermen :)

Some sort of final tables below

let me know if I've missed anything

I reduced some of the Archon points hope that is ok ;)

EA40    
  Player   HSC points
1st rdrunner   26
2nd therealbountybob   17
3rd McKong                 12
4th AtariSphinx   9
4th carlsson   9
6th MichaG   7
7th RedThunder   5
8th Dinky2008   2

8th        Mrs RT                                                2

HHM      
  Player Score Lv  
1st McKong               25,000 17 6
2nd rdrunner 20,000 15 5
3rd therealbountybob 10,200 6 4
4th MichaG 8,150 3 3
5th AtariSphinx 1,500 2 2
6th carlsson 855 2 1

Axis Assassin    
  Player Score Pts
1st rdrunner 310,750 7
2nd therealbountybob 141,600 6
3rd McKong               69,150 5
4th carlsson 63,100 4
5th MichaG 57,100 3
6th Dinky2008 53,050 2
7th AtariSphinx 42,850 1

Archon    
Player Score Pts
rdrunner LD-W-S KG 12
Deteacher LD-W-S 9
therealbountybob LD 5
AtariSphinx LD 5
RedThunder L 2 5
McKong               P 1
MichaG P 1
carlsson P 1

Worms    
  Player Score Pts
1st carlsson 162 3
2nd rdrunner 132 2
3rd AtariSphinx 56 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

You big bully :!:

that last battle made me laugh, fun round thanks for playing everyone...

Mrs RT was White on a Wico Joystick and myself Dark was on the laptop keyboard and cast onto a 32" TV.

THis game played with two players is supurb.  I wish there was a remake of somekind or game mechanic copy. Like I said before Knights V Trolls ... great laugh.  Like 8bit "Its a Knockout".

She wants to play more, but I have to get the gamepad working.

Also, Mrs RT is owed a copy of points for playing and a two player game 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RedThunder said:

Mrs RT was White on a Wico Joystick and myself Dark was on the laptop keyboard and cast onto a 32" TV.

THis game played with two players is supurb.  I wish there was a remake of somekind or game mechanic copy. Like I said before Knights V Trolls ... great laugh.  Like 8bit "Its a Knockout".

She wants to play more, but I have to get the gamepad working.

Also, Mrs RT is owed a copy of points for playing and a two player game 🙂

Yes great fun head to head - I once pitched my niece and nephew (gwobby!) in battle was fantastic watching the learning curve as the younger niece soon figured out what was what and made a recovery to win!

Mrs RT has 2pts :thumbsup:

will do the current standings later on.