IGNORED

Tempest's Atari 8-Bit Prototype Collection

Tempest

It's been a while since I posted my Atari 8-Bit prototype roms, so I thought I'd start a thread.  This zip file contains all the Atari 8-Bit prototype roms I posses, with a few exceptions (roms I cannot share for various reasons).  If you find a difference in one of the prototypes that isn't documented on my page (http://www.atariprotos.com/8bit/software/8bitsoftware.htm), or you have some rom versions that I'm missing, please let me know! 

Note that I generally don't deal with disk based prototypes unless they were meant to be released on cartridge.  There are far too many disk based 8-bit prototype games so I've drawn the line at cartridge based game. :)

8-Bit Protos.zip

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mitch said:

It is probably the same one that is already out on the Internet anyway.

Oh is the 8-Bit Xenophobe proto out in the wild?  I didn't know that.  Yes it probably is the same since I believe there's only one.

8 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

It isn't out in the wild. Fandal paid a lot of money to save the ROM for the community and there's a moral agreement to avoid sharing the dump so that he can at least partially recoup the cost with royalties he gets from Video 61.

Ok that's what I thought.  That's why I didn't include it.

@tempest, first thanks for all the info and the dumps, it's very valuable.
I believe that the other 'not yet released' is Pink Panther. In the archive is the video, but not the dump.

Just FYI: Because I'm re-doing my ACDP project, I cross-checked which of the files I already have and found these problems in your archive:
a) Star Raiders II - one of the dumps is empty, the other one is Crystal Castles XEGS version. No Star Raiders II, at least I can't find it.
b) Football - I think the dumps of both roms are invalid - there are longer streaks of FFs in the middle of code in multiple parts, it's quite obvious when compared with the release one.

Thanks.

Edited by jindroush

23 minutes ago, jindroush said:

@tempest, first thanks for all the info and the dumps, it's very valuable.
I believe that the other 'not yet released' is Pink Panther. In the archive is the video, but not the dump.

You FYI: Because I'm re-doing my ACDP project, I cross-checked which of the files I already have and found these problems in your archive:
a) Star Raiders II - one of the dumps is empty, the other one is Crystal Castles XEGS version. No Star Raiders II, at least I can't find it.
b) Football - I think the dumps of both roms are invalid - there are longer streaks of FFs in the middle of code in multiple parts, it's quite obvious when compared with the release one.

Thanks.

I just found out about the 'Star Raiders II' roms.  The checksum on the EPROM is the same as the released version so it's not a loss.

Interesting about the Football dumps.  That's unfortunate.

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I just found out about the 'Star Raiders II' roms.  The checksum on the EPROM is the same as the released version so it's not a loss.

Interesting about the Football dumps.  That's unfortunate.

If you own the roms, you may maybe try to re-dump?

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Asaki said:

I know this thread is about 8-bit and not 2600, but is this ROM available online? I couldn't find it: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/earthworld/earthworldbeta.htm

BTW, your page for the PAL version has the wrong screenshots on it :)

Should have been in there.  Here it is.

What do you mean the wrong screenshots?

SQ Earthworld (Beta).bin

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Should have been in there.  Here it is.

Oh wow! Is there a story behind this one?
Unless this is a ROM hack someone made, this is the original NTSC version of the PAL release of the game!
I didn't play all the way through to see if everything is fully functioning as it should be, but all of the items and rooms and clues are exactly the same.
I will have to add this to my Playoff Cart Tribute thread O_O

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

What do you mean the wrong screenshots?

This page has screenshots of the NTSC version: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/earthworld/international.htm
PAL version has a taller inventory bar, and the player is different colors (brown pants instead of yellow).

29 minutes ago, Asaki said:

Oh wow! Is there a story behind this one?
Unless this is a ROM hack someone made, this is the original NTSC version of the PAL release of the game!
I didn't play all the way through to see if everything is fully functioning as it should be, but all of the items and rooms and clues are exactly the same.
I will have to add this to my Playoff Cart Tribute thread O_O

This page has screenshots of the NTSC version: http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/earthworld/international.htm
PAL version has a taller inventory bar, and the player is different colors (brown pants instead of yellow).

You know, I'm not sure where it came from.  It's not a hack though.  Maybe @romhunter knows?

oops, I'll fix my page.  I didn't even notice I had used the ntsc screenshots.