IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 17 Round 10 -  Koffi : Yellow Kopter

Welcome to the tenth round of the 17th 5200 HSC season.  Koffi won the poll by one vote.  Play using the Normal setting.  Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

The high score was set by Cafeman (also the game’s programmer) with 87,260 points.  Beat this if you can for a bonus point! 

The ROM can be found here:

https://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=2374

Round ends Sunday, May 28th, 2023 @11pm EST

Standings:

Cafeman - 104,505 - RECORD BREAKER 

RB5200 - 88,130 - RECORD BREAKER

Mikey50 - 11,905 

rubeon - 8,940

jeremiahjt - 5,030

If you are using koffipc.bin from the AA page, note that on the title screen you can press the 6 key to change the color of raindrops / koffi's eyes to a hue that is usually more blue on emulators.    Emulators often show the hue I chose for blue as more green, unfortunately.  The code doesn't change anything else. 

Here is my  old 2002 instructions page: http://cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200dev/Koffi-Instructions.html

EDIT - also, the rules are to play on Normal difficulty.  Note however that after your game, it returns to the Title Screen and defaults back to "Easy".  Don't worry about that for screenshot purposes! 

49 minutes ago, RB5200 said:

Well, I guess now I have a newer high to try for.

Good score.  There are so few people who seem to understand how the game should be played - I see videos and they can't get past stage 1.  Anyway, I was doing really well for my new 100k + score session, at one time I had over 9 lives (it doesn't display higher than 9) and I was on the 10th level, which starts to use the Atascii values past 1-9. Level 10 I believe was a colon ":".    I thought as I played, I should have made normal get harder quicker. :)

I learned how to play it way back in the day when it came out, and the wife got the cart for me, but I haven't played in so long it took me a few games to get going again. Mine was round 7. By chance did you know about the nasty bug in the windy vines level.

The game has a couple unexpected bugs I've noticed, not sure what the Windy Vines one is.  I didn't encounter it on this play through.  I have an updated and 2-player simultaneous version that will eventually get released to public, so I can fix the bugs I know about. 

17 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have increased my score to 5,030, but I still have no idea how to clear the first level.

You have to defeat the cloud by bumping into it enough times, then you can put out the fire completely which ends the stage.  In the meantime, keep the fire at bay by collecting raindrops and saving animals, and dousing the fire to keep it small.

• Like 1

Congratulations to Cafeman on fighting the most fires.  Thanks also for creating this game for us all and sharing some tips for it.  

Keystone Kapers is up next. 

Final standings:

Cafeman - 104,505 - RECORD BREAKER +11 +1

RB5200 - 88,130 - RECORD BREAKER +10 +1

Mikey50 - 11,905 +9

rubeon - 8,940 +8

jeremiahjt - 5,030 +7