IGNORED

Name a Game You Love and Hate Equally

Battletoads

I love it, have the hand speed for it, but I do not have the ability to memorize the two turbo tunnels so I just end up dead later into the things because you basically can't react to the visuals fast enough and just need to remember to push up, down, small jump, large jump etc almost immediately next to the move before it.

If those asinine stages were tweaked a bit or just removed entirely the game would be a personal favorite... hate the game, love the parts I don't hate which is most of it.  And yes long ago I could finish it, but I'll never put myself through trying to remember that again as it's infuriating.

Krull (2600) - Imaginative.  Good use of license.  Good graphics.  If you screw up, even slightly, even once, you're done.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Great system.  Great Atmosphere.  So much tedium and bugginess.

Dwarf Fortress - I'm autistic, but not even close to autistic enough.

• Haha 1

On 5/20/2023 at 6:55 AM, Pixelboy said:

2D Super Mario games in general.

Love the graphics and level design.

Hate the floaty, slippery physics that increase difficulty artificially.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Great Mario games ruined by lousy control ALWAYS tick me off.

That's why I always preferred Sonic over Mario.

• Confused 1

A new entry for me:  Jr. Pac-Man, mostly the 5200 version which I've played the most due to HSC.   It always starts out fun, but then the game's difficulty and unfair method of destroying your power pellets gets infuriating!  I've complained elsewhere, but I also hate the first maze and usually die twice on it, thus I don't have enough lives to really enjoy the later more-fun mazes. 

A poorly thought-out difficulty curve ruins lots of games for me.  Every time I load up arcade Sinistar, I love it, for about a minute. Then I'm dead. Again. I'd love to get better at it, be able to play through 10 or 20 rounds , but I can't beat 2 rounds consistently.  Great concept and execution but too hard! 

On 5/20/2023 at 6:55 AM, Pixelboy said:

2D Super Mario games in general.

Love the graphics and level design.

Hate the floaty, slippery physics that increase difficulty artificially.

TBH, I've always prefered the orginal 8-bit Super Mario games over the 16-bit All Stars remakes as far as gameplay physics goes.

And don't get me started on Super Mario World moving the B-Dash button to "Y" and using "B" to jump... :roll:

• Like 1

I'd say the Mario Kart series kind of falls into this love/hate camp for me. They really punish traditional racing skills, and all the legitimate strategies to become faster feel more like glitches than intended behavior. I get that it's a party game, not really a racing game, but the pickups never really 'add fun' to the equation, unless 'fun' means ruining somebody else's time. Basically, it's the Sorry! board game in video form, and I assume the people who love mario kart are the ones who play Sorry! with that smarmy tone featured in the commercials.

The Mario Kart games themselves tend to be pretty, handle well, and aside from being frequently infuriating, are otherwise well put together. I've also noticed that nearly every other kart racer seems to go for a better racing/frustration ratio. 

Racing is my favorite game genre, and I'd imagine most other folks in that camp are a bit torn on Mario Kart too. Actually one of the SF Rush players I follow, made a hack called 'super go-kart racing,' --which plays exactly how you'd expect. 🤣

On 5/21/2023 at 3:50 PM, 1982VideoGames said:

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Great Mario games ruined by lousy control ALWAYS tick me off.

That's why I always preferred Sonic over Mario.

Sonic can have a weirdly slow acceleration curve that bugs me. I always thought he should be a little more nimble from stop. He doesn't have any trouble accelerating upward in jumps, so it seems 'off' that he has more difficulty accelerating horizontally. We wouldn't even need a spin dash then.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

Building off @Reaperman I have to agree Mario Kart is a total love-hate game, now, and has been since they took it online with the DS/Wii, and maybe a bit so even prior with the shit eating blue shell you can't turn off in options, but coupling the two together and since other almost equally aggravating gotcha moment items converted what was once an amazing racing game with item strategy to a goddamn trainwreck of what I now refer to is Mario Party on wheels.  You can't be a good driver in the game anymore and survive, N64...GBA, SNES yes you could.  But now it's more about being a middling driver, getting an item queued up and being able to grease those in front of you towards the last moments of a race to be the so called winner.  F Mario Kart.  What used to be fun is just a dice roll from hell now.  The worst though was the DS game, utterly cheats and easily proven too on 150ccs on that one...that broke my will to even bother much going forward outside of a cheap second hand copy.

• Like 1

Resident Evil. Love the games for the art style, music, story, fun factor, but hate them because theyre anxiety inducing. Limited save points and limping back to a typewriter just for a reprieve is stressful. I dont know how I beat those games "back in the day"

• Like 1

Gran Turismo 1.

Something about the physics feels slightly off by today's standards. It's not sim, it's not simcade... I don't know what it is.

My real gripe is what happens when you turn and brake at the same time. You experience immense oversteer for whatever reason and it feels kinda odd.

On 5/24/2023 at 6:28 PM, dudeguy said:

Resident Evil. Love the games for the art style, music, story, fun factor, but hate them because theyre anxiety inducing. Limited save points and limping back to a typewriter just for a reprieve is stressful. I dont know how I beat those games "back in the day"

I have to agree with this.  To me it was the equally just wretched control/camera combination that made it far harder than it would have been already.  Coupling that with the stupid limited saves with ribbons and it was a huge put off.  Just so I have a taste of the era I hold onto RE2 for N64 and pull that out ever so often both to get it out my system but also as a reminder just how not good those games are if you remove the story/atmosphere from the equation.  TO me, they've always been a far better premise of a movie than a crappy game.

I fully disagree. Once again, that's the point of a survival horror game to be frustrating in order to be scary. It's not just a question of atmosphere, especially in the early days of polygonal 3D. You're scared because you're afraid of the game over, that's it (basically).

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

TO me, they've always been a far better premise of a movie than a crappy game.

Except the latest Resident Evil movie was very faithful to the games and it still sucks, because these games have in fact really bad, cheesy scenarios, full of cliches and tributes to (better) movies. If you can't cope with their gameplay, it's just that you don't like survival horror games and should play action games instead. 😝

• Like 1

Then we disagree.  A true survival horror game to me shouldn't rely on broke ass controls and camera issues to create tension.  The atmosphere by design from the levels, sounds, creatures should do it, make you nervous when you enter a space, not nervous if bad design will kill you which RE thrives on.  That's why I consider a high point of survival horror, the true well controlled game that mind fucks you with concern is the original Dead Space (PC/PS3.)  Games before that could do it, silent hill had a bit less jank, and even old PC alone in the dark did it smoother too... RE just was badly done.

Action nothing, RE Revelations went quite well in capturing non shitty controls with the RE atmosphere quite nicely.  Same with the RE HD remaster things going on lately too doing the same.  I do like survival horror, when survival is based on quality design, not design problems.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:30 PM, roots.genoa said:

Alien Isolation is at the time great but far too long and scary (actually being scary makes it even longer to beat).

So, how much time did you spend hiding under tables and in lockers, and like a wuss, was too scared to come out cos you were not too sure that the  blip on the tracker was far enough away ?  Over half the game time? Or was that just me? 

1 hour ago, Lord Innit said:

So, how much time did you spend hiding under tables and in lockers, and like a wuss, was too scared to come out cos you were not too sure that the  blip on the tracker was far enough away ?  Over half the game time? Or was that just me? 

No, same here I'm afraid (very afraid). 😅 But mostly at the beginning, when I was not familiar with the game yet. There's an area with lockers on the left, and you have to go all to the right, but every time you would get out of the locker, you would hear the alien coming back. 😒 But after a while, when you get used to get killed by the alien, it's easier to "run" to where you're supposed to go next - well, walk to avoid making too much noise, but without thinking too much.

• Like 1

The first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for the NES. It feels kinda like a bootleg game with all the weird enemies in it and the gameplay is frustrating, but the good music and nostalgia have me not totally hating it.

The only other game I feel this way about is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, but its modern (I like it for different reasons than TMNT, it has pretty bad music).

Edited by pablum
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...