IGNORED

SNES Audio Capabilities and Formats (Contemporary Audio Production for SNES homebrews)

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 6:43 PM, SlidellMan said:

There is also SNESGSS as a tracker for SNES, but while it has proper .spc exportation support; it is severely limited.

.spc is the audio format for the SNES right? If there is no good option to make real SNES ready exports, I may go for the MSU1 route for my game. I hope to start with the ost soon.

44 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

.spc is the audio format for the SNES right? If there is no good option to make real SNES ready exports, I may go for the MSU1 route for my game. I hope to start with the ost soon.

I believe .spc files are something the community created after the SNES was released, in order to package up the state of the SPC700 and S-DSP and ARAM at the beginning of a music track.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jeffythedragonslayer said:

I believe .spc files are something the community created after the SNES was released, in order to package up the state of the SPC700 and S-DSP and ARAM at the beginning of a music track.

I see. I hope there will be more interest in developing SNES homebrew and an overall growth in the scene. I think Kirks work on the mode 0 capabilities is brilliant and the intelligence and manners of the people interested in SNES homebrew is a joy to experience.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

I see. I hope there will be more interest in developing SNES homebrew and an overall growth in the scene. I think Kirks work on the mode 0 capabilities is brilliant and the intelligence and manners of the people interested in SNES homebrew is a joy to experience.

Yeah, I think there was a lot of unawareness that Mode 0 even exists before (I've seen it stated that the SNES has 7 background modes in multiple places.)

We have a bright future ahead of us.

• Like 2

@Waylerwhat about something a little like this:

So what you wanna do, what you gonna wanna say?
When I bust a rap in an old school way
I shine from the break of dawn 'till the end of every day
Don't come a-knocking if you don't wanna play
Well if you wanna play, you may get wet
I heard your wicky-whack track playing on cassette
So microphone check, microphone, mic check
You haven't heard me yet? You better hit the deck
I'm coming around the mountain with a blue Corvette
And I'm coming at you live on your television set
There's nothing that I want that I don't got yet
There's no way to take it if you never make a bet

Edited by Creamhoven

• 10 months later...
Posted (edited)

The snes can do true 16bit 32khz audio at 128kbps as blargg has shown with his snes sound demo a long time ago by using a clever technic by disabling echo writes and avoiding adpcm, but sadly that will eat up all the ram and all the processing power of the snes to do something else, but it goes to show that the snes audio chio is more capable then we always trought to be (untill early 2001 i always trought that the snes had all sound effects builtin and that game developers couldn’t create their own sound effects),

but if we want to have good audio quality while running game code, we should instead use that 64KB audio ram as a ram buffer to swap BRR/adpcm samples in & out whether for sytheses music or streamed music, so instead of cramming all BRR samples inside that 64KB space by cutting and stretching it etc,,, we should kept each BRR sample at it’s full length to maintain it’s natural sound as much as possible to avoid the need for stretching it wich results in dry audio (unless the snes would,ve contained a high quality audio stretching feature wich sadly it doesn’t have)

for instance and i really HATE to say it but as much as i do love the music in supermario allstars, i don’t like those stretched instruments and sounds effects of it as they do just sound soo dry wich is extra compounded in those underground levels to fake echo sound (i do like that echo sound in supermarioworld much much better)

heck even those supermario advance games with it’s less interesting instruments,annoying voices but still good sound effects are of better quality despite the average GBA’s infirior soundchip,

so with that said if we could replaace those sounds in supermario allstars with restored samples of it by using the sound swapping method, then we can have better sound quality with no ugly reverb shrill/dry effect in it,

and all without the need for the mus1 chip either, why am i against the msu1 chip? Because the snes soundchip needs to be more acknowledge to be very capable, just screw that cheating msu1 chip.

by the way, we migh could use a few soundchannels of the snes to play sythesed music while 2 other soundchannels might be usable to stream samples to futher eliminate the need for a sound expansion chip and to maintain those supported homebrew games who makes use of it just be fully compatible with most snes flash cards out there so who ever knows😁

Edited by johannesmutlu

In 1988 when DNA technology was in its infancy, eastern European scientists inserted a human brain into a rainbow trout for the creation of the world's first thinking fish. Naturally they named it

35 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

trought

But soon the scientists realized that the fish had no way of communicating with them and its nose was too wide for keyboard use. So they abandoned the project and had a nice buffet instead.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Wayler said:

In 1988 when DNA technology was in its infancy, eastern European scientists inserted a human brain into a rainbow trout for the creation of the world's first thinking fish. Naturally they named it

But soon the scientists realized that the fish had no way of communicating with them and its nose was too wide for keyboard use. So they abandoned the project and had a nice buffet instead.

Oke so you don’t take me serious at all huh don’t you?

i am communicating with the author of this thread and everyone whose interested in it and i am sure there must be atleast somebody, especially snes fans who are curious about the true potential of the snes audio chip,

so why such stupid generic joking comment huh?

well if i am in for humorism then i rather watch a commedy serie or listen to somebody making jokes about popstars and what not,

yes back then they wanted to save as much memory space as possible on the cartride but that doesn’t mean that the snes cannot do more then this, the snes is more capable,

if genesis games already do get graphical and audio upgrades by homebrewers to make this games more closer to the arcade versions of it, all on a stock genesis, then ask yourself why couldn’t they also give snes games the same treatments as well again on a stock hardware, sure it’s easier said then done but still,,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

Oke so you don’t take me serious at all huh don’t you?

I try to but you make it so very very hard.

i am communicating with the author of this thread

He is long gone.

so why such stupid generic joking comment huh?

Stupid? generic? I'm shocked, shocked to the core! I spent several minutes coming up with that thing. And even incorporated the eastern European buffet in there as a memberberry, which did not escape the keen eye of Rootsy.

yes back then they wanted to save as much memory space as...

OK, now it's just white noise again. See you next time!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Wayler said:

From the Netherland right? :P

• Sad 1