IGNORED

Cybermorph at 1080p and MSAA via accelerated 3D!

cubanismo

Surprised no one's posted about this yet (Sorry if I missed it), but BigPEmu has been updated to include a scripting system that can hook into and rewrite portions of games to use native rendering. An example script is included that hooks into Cybermorph and renders the world, ships, and game sprites at native resolution while still overlaying the HUD graphics and whatnot just as they should be. Those of us who were patrons on Patreon got an early build a few days ago, so I've been playing Cybermorph at 1080p for a while now. It's as if someone did an HD remaster of the game. Exact same physics and gameplay, but high-res graphics! It's an unreal feeling to play it this way.

See Rich's tweet:

For all the info, and a link to the download and a video explaining how to make your own mods with it.

And, of course, support Rich on Patreon if you aren't already: https://www.patreon.com/richwhitehouse

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, madman said:

Wow, that's really cool. I may need to pick up a cheap Windows laptop so I can use this thing. Or soup up my VCS with some extra HD space.

I cannot personally confirm, but many people have said the emu runs nicely under WINE.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I cannot personally confirm, but many people have said the emu runs nicely under WINE.

I may have to give that a go, I honestly have no idea if any of these modern controllers I have would even pair with a PC (I'm pretty dumb when it comes to modern things like this). Maybe one of those Jag to USB adapters would be the best route. I also see people got this working on Steam Deck, so that may be my path of least resistance. It's pretty amazing how this emulator has changed the game in such a short time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It does run great under WINE.    Or you can run native Windows on the VCS too.

But I don't know what performance is like using these scripting hacks

• Like 1

The other bundled scripts are one where you can raise the FPS lock in AvP, and eliminate flicker when running Brett Hull in the emulator by fixing some synchronization issues in the game. As for controllers on modern PCs, nothing beats a Jagpad! Works great with these: http://www.2600-daptor.com/Jaguar-daptor.htm. I've personally used that adapter with the emulator both on Linux+WINE and native Windows. Works great.

I should also note, that at least in the Patreon build, the Cybermorph script included only worked on the "big" Cybermorph ROM, not the 1MB version, and it doesn't work properly if you have enabled display post processing effects like fancy bezels or scanline/CRT emulation, since it works at the native resolution.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I should also note, that at least in the Patreon build, the Cybermorph script included only worked on the "big" Cybermorph ROM, not the 1MB version, and it doesn't work properly if you have enabled display post processing effects like fancy bezels or scanline/CRT emulation, since it works at the native resolution.

The "for everyone" build of 1.06 is out.  One of the additional features is running Cybermorph with at least some CRT effects on.

• Like 2

This really grabbed my attention on the DF stream/interview. Thanks for the follow up post.

For those getting ready to drool over the AvP frame rate improvement, unfortunately the enemies move way too fast without additional, substantial work. The original enemy AI and speed was configured with the original, slower frame rate in mind.

Still amazing to see all these!

• Like 2