IGNORED

What is the Future of Gaming?

19 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Do those hellish workstations look like fun to you?

The future of gaming is probably a lot like the past of gaming, but with better graphics and in-app purchases. 

But that is the current state of gaming. Will gaming go nowhere?

19 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

I’ll be on the couch with my phone, thanks 

Nice

Hah on what SCIFI movies planet is that the current state of gaming?  Half that shit looks more powerful than what the empire uses in star wars movies. :D

Seriously the VR stuff is barely making an inch, most just don't want to get sucked into some goggles and weird grips/controllers.  Maybe the few truly loaded types might rig up something like those images up there, but you can't call that modern or future gaming, it's a niche of a niche of a wallet so loaded niche who would even bother.

For most, disgustingly, it'll be digital only and likely tied to a TV as always moreso to a portable device(usually a mobile phone.)  It'll be on the trend to society as it goes, super lazy, easy to access with no effort to start, path of least resistance.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Hah on what SCIFI movies planet is that the current state of gaming?  Half that shit looks more powerful than what the empire uses in star wars movies. :D

Wakanda would bemy guess.

Seriously the VR stuff is barely making an inch, most just don't want to get sucked into some goggles and weird grips/controllers.  Maybe the few truly loaded types might rig up something like those images up there, but you can't call that modern or future gaming, it's a niche of a niche of a wallet so loaded niche who would even bother.

Well at least it would be moving in a direction within a niche.

For most, disgustingly, it'll be digital only and likely tied to a TV as always moreso to a portable device(usually a mobile phone.)  It'll be on the trend to society as it goes, super lazy, easy to access with no effort to start, path of least resistance.

This is incredibly uninspiring and depressing...

c

10 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

The future. The downfall already happened somewhere around 10 years ago.

I'm guessing you mean the mixture of beta released games with large 0day or close patches, IAP, selling partial games, loot box and other (depending on country/continent) illegal gambling like schemes, forcing online or no offline single player, etc shenanigans.  I'd agree.

I still try and keep up between my switch and computer, but I feel more and more alienated against what AAA has become vs what AAA used to mean to where I'm mostly playing solid media 80s/90s/00(gba) cartridge based media first.  You get it all, it works, fires up very fast without minutes of loading/waiting, and you can get a sense of accomplishment before someone can waggle a sword or shotgun at something.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'm guessing you mean the mixture of beta released games with large 0day or close patches, IAP, selling partial games, loot box and other (depending on country/continent) illegal gambling like schemes, forcing online or no offline single player, etc shenanigans.  I'd agree.

Yep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This is what happens if you leave culture creation to greedy merchants. This is a disaster. This shady gambling stuff in entertainment that is, lets face, enjoyed by alot of very young people as well. It is terrible and it needs to stop!

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I still try and keep up between my switch and computer, but I feel more and more alienated against what AAA has become vs what AAA used to mean to where I'm mostly playing solid media 80s/90s/00(gba) cartridge based media first.  You get it all, it works, fires up very fast without minutes of loading/waiting, and you can get a sense of accomplishment before someone can waggle a sword or shotgun at something.

Bring it back.

• Like 1

@Steven Pendleton @Creamhoven  I had a feeling that was the primary ideas of a laundry list of offenses.  It's sad, amusing, confusing but I've been off now for about 5 days and I've not touched a new game once, yes, I have Tears of the Kingdom and I've avoided it as I don't want to get that involved trying to relax some.  I've been poking a stick at NES games, the most hardcore of it today, a konami trifecta.  I went in and sort of remembered how to play double dribble and it was ehhh then restarted and blew out the team by 50pts on standard difficulty.  Then went over to Blades of Steel and same starter setup I still can't quite remember all the moves so a LOT of fights broke out but cleared that with a 11pt margin too and it was good.  Then I figured I'd poke a stick at TMNT2 and well, I put the 10 lives code in because I've not actually tried at it in I have no guess how long...ran up over 750pts and kicked Shredder's ass for the first time since the 90s I'd guess or early 00s and he almost got me.  I lost a few lives on those stupid paper tigers, they're nasty.

NOW that was fun and the only harassment was my foul ups, not being put out, gamed as a target, not fleeced for more coins or any other bs.  That's how it should have stayed.  Charge me once, get your coins, maybe sell a true optional expansion pack 6-12mo later that stands alone, and leave me to play, and play that is with a game that works correctly when I buy it.  That is NOT asking that much.  I'm sure someone will snark how 3D costs so much more...ok, and what of two generations (or more for Nintendo) of consoles that ran just fine in 3D without selling betas.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@Steven Pendleton @Creamhoven  I had a feeling that was the primary ideas of a laundry list of offenses.  It's sad, amusing, confusing but I've been off now for about 5 days and I've not touched a new game once,

What did you do instead, if you don't mind telling.

yes, I have Tears of the Kingdom and I've avoided it as I don't want to get that involved trying to relax some.

Yeah alot of modern games are really demanding of your attention

I've been poking a stick at NES games, the most hardcore of it today, a konami trifecta. 

Old school konami is tol tier. Superb soundtracks.

I went in and sort of remembered how to play double dribble and it was ehhh then restarted and blew out the team by 50pts on standard difficulty.  Then went over to Blades of Steel and same starter setup I still can't quite remember all the moves so a LOT of fights broke out but cleared that with a 11pt margin too and it was good.  Then I figured I'd poke a stick at TMNT2 and well, I put the 10 lives code in because I've not actually tried at it in I have no guess how long...ran up over 750pts and kicked Shredder's ass for the first time since the 90s I'd guess or early 00s and he almost got me.  I lost a few lives on those stupid paper tigers, they're nasty.

Those nasty paper tigers.

NOW that was fun and the only harassment was my foul ups, not being put out, gamed as a target, not fleeced for more coins or any other bs.  That's how it should have stayed. 

Is there hope that gaming will sober up and come back to reason?

Charge me once, get your coins, maybe sell a true optional expansion pack 6-12mo later that stands alone, and leave me to play, and play that is with a game that works correctly when I buy it.  That is NOT asking that much. 

Yes, it is not like you are asking for a Davinci. Make a working and complete game and sell it, what is wrong with you industry-people?!

I'm sure someone will snark how 3D costs so much more...ok, and what of two generations (or more for Nintendo) of consoles that ran just fine in 3D without selling betas.

Yes. And if they cant hold that standard of complexity, maybe they should dial back for the sake of making a sound product.

On 5/27/2023 at 10:05 PM, Flojomojo said:

The future of gaming is probably a lot like the past of gaming, but with better graphics and in-app purchases. 

I’ll be on the couch with my phone, thanks 

😂 There isn't one for me. 

My missus hates gaming. 

Been gaming since early arcades and my folks buying me a Sinclair ZX81. 

PS4 still connected in the guest bedroom, but only as a Netflix player /Blu ray player when we have guests staying over a few days. 

Let me be a bit contrarian here

Gaming took off in a big way in our generation because it was novel.   First you could actually control the images on a TV screen,  wow amazing!   Then gradually you got better and better graphics,  always some new gaming innovation that kept people coming back.  

For kids born in a world hyper-realistic graphics are the norm, and almost ever conceivable genre has been explored, what will their relationship to video gaming be?   Will they love it just as much, or just something to do to pass the time but have no particular passion for?

Let's take music, it was a huge deal for our generation and the one before.  It seemed like music would always innovate.  There'd always be a new Beatles, Stones, Bowie, etc.   But now it seems to be in decline, pop music is now paint by numbers, becoming less complex and innovative.   The younger generations relationship with it is very different,   they'll build huge spotify playlists of songs they like for every mood, but don't seem to necessarily be into the artists behind the music as much as we were, nor can really relate to the joy of buying a new album from their favorite artists and listening to it for the first time.

I think gaming might be heading the same way,  we already see physical game stores going the way of the dinosaur,  and spotify-like "GamePass" services that allow subscribers to play anything offered by the service.   I really think this cheapens gaming-  I think people are far more likely to complete a game if they bought it that if they were just able to download it.   Putting games on these services might lead to less money for developers and less innovation, similar to how Spotify has made less money available for many artists.

So future kids, faced with a world where video games are ubiquitous, cheapened and everything's been done to death, where will they find novelty?

Perhaps back in the physical world?   Maybe they go shoot pool, hoops, invent new physical games that have never existed, maybe old games are electronically enhanced to make them more interesting (but still physical games)?

Why is it assumed that the future is going to be where we spend even more time online with electronic gadgets-  the same ones already making us sedentary, fat, anxious, etc.  Where is seems people are already reaching their breaking points with this stuff.   It wouldn't surprise me to see a sudden shift back to the 'real' world.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

Let me be a bit contrarian here

Gaming took off in a big way in our generation because it was novel.   First you could actually control the images on a TV screen,  wow amazing!   Then gradually you got better and better graphics,  always some new gaming innovation that kept people coming back.  

For kids born in a world hyper-realistic graphics are the norm, and almost ever conceivable genre has been explored, what will their relationship to video gaming be?   Will they love it just as much, or just something to do to pass the time but have no particular passion for?

Let's take music, it was a huge deal for our generation and the one before.  It seemed like music would always innovate.  There'd always be a new Beatles, Stones, Bowie, etc.   But now it seems to be in decline, pop music is now paint by numbers, becoming less complex and innovative.   The younger generations relationship with it is very different,   they'll build huge spotify playlists of songs they like for every mood, but don't seem to necessarily be into the artists behind the music as much as we were, nor can really relate to the joy of buying a new album from their favorite artists and listening to it for the first time.

I think gaming might be heading the same way,  we already see physical game stores going the way of the dinosaur,  and spotify-like "GamePass" services that allow subscribers to play anything offered by the service.   I really think this cheapens gaming-  I think people are far more likely to complete a game if they bought it that if they were just able to download it.   Putting games on these services might lead to less money for developers and less innovation, similar to how Spotify has made less money available for many artists.

So future kids, faced with a world where video games are ubiquitous, cheapened and everything's been done to death, where will they find novelty?

Perhaps back in the physical world?   Maybe they go shoot pool, hoops, invent new physical games that have never existed, maybe old games are electronically enhanced to make them more interesting (but still physical games)?

Why is it assumed that the future is going to be where we spend even more time online with electronic gadgets-  the same ones already making us sedentary, fat, anxious, etc.  Where is seems people are already reaching their breaking points with this stuff.   It wouldn't surprise me to see a sudden shift back to the 'real' world.

Allow me to be contrarian as well.

Popular music and gaming... It's cute. Really sweet. I like it very much. We, however, haven't seen the wagnerian absolute art counterpart in gaming or popular music yet. With popular music I get it. It is maybe not meant to reach such a state ever. Gaming on the other hand is a form that could revolutionise the term absolute art itself. Imagine Mozart, Miyamoto, Davinci, Kurosawa, Kojima, Goethe and so on working together to push the medium to it's absolute limits. It is important to reach a high state of civilisation to make this plausible. Unfortunatly we are currently in a steap civilisational decline.

36 minutes ago, zzip said:

Why is it assumed that the future is going to be where we spend even more time online with electronic gadgets-  the same ones already making us sedentary, fat, anxious, etc.

Because we're sedentary, fat, and anxious.  That's what being addicted means.  Heroin addicts know the dope is killing them; but they ain't going to stop.

39 minutes ago, zzip said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see a sudden shift back to the 'real' world.

In order to do the stuff you're talking about, you have to have IRL friends and people increasingly do not have those.  Look at the data; people have fewer close friends and fewer friends overall, they spend less time with extended family, they're not getting married, they're not having kids, they're not even having sex.   Restaurants are doing sometimes half their sales on delivery apps and cutting their hours of operation because people just don't leave their houses.  Go to a bar and shoot pool?  What bar?  They're closing left and right.  That business is never going back to pre-2020 levels.  

36 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Popular music and gaming... It's cute. Really sweet. I like it very much. We, however, haven't seen the wagnerian absolute art counterpart in gaming or popular music yet.

Correct, and I'm not convinced that this is possible for gaming because it's the only medium of the ones you reference that requires input from the audience.  This is always the problem.

44 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Imagine Mozart, Miyamoto, Davinci, Kurosawa, Kojima, Goethe and so on working together to push the medium to it's absolute limits.

There were many experiments to this effect in through the early 90s.  Kojima would be a late example.  The problem is that as technical advancements make artistic visions more realizable, publishing has become more democratized.  No longer do indie arthouse types have to get a job with an actual game company and learn their actual craft.  They can put whatever juvenalia out they come up with and get it funded through Kickstarter or put it up on Steam for $5.  There is no mechanism to refine the artist himself.

48 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

It is important to reach a high state of civilisation to make this plausible. Unfortunatly we are currently in a steap civilisational decline.

Correct.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2023 at 5:05 PM, Flojomojo said:

Kinda --- First one looks like it could be an amazing Mech/flight cockpit.   

Those Power Glove 2.0 things look like they should be fun, but in that "you're a kid and you see something with a lot of buttons and you have no idea what they do but you just know there's some sort of awesomeness there" kind of way.  Reminds me of this toy I had as a kid --

image.png.0895c02bc0cef972a480ccc3eca0d25b.png

And if y'all don't see the fun in a jet powered hover mouse with a mounted scope and a spoiler, then you're already dead inside, so just carry on with the "being miserable and simply existing" thing.   😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Because we're sedentary, fat, and anxious.  That's what being addicted means.  Heroin addicts know the dope is killing them; but they ain't going to stop.

20 hours ago, MrTrust said:

In order to do the stuff you're talking about, you have to have IRL friends and people increasingly do not have those.  Look at the data; people have fewer close friends and fewer friends overall, they spend less time with extended family, they're not getting married, they're not having kids, they're not even having sex.   Restaurants are doing sometimes half their sales on delivery apps and cutting their hours of operation because people just don't leave their houses.  Go to a bar and shoot pool?  What bar?  They're closing left and right.  That business is never going back to pre-2020 levels.  

Yes all this has been the trend.      But no trend lasts forever.  Counter-trends spring up and things do change.   When I was young smoking cigarettes was ubiquitous, everyone was worried about teen sex and pregnancy, there was no reason to assume that would ever change, yet here we are.  Relatively few people smoke cigarettes, people aren't having enough sex.  That's a complete reversal in my lifetime.   So there's no reason to assume current trends can't be reversed, especially since everyone seems increasingly unhappy about them.   Even addicts hit rock bottom.

Even if all the pool bars closed, if shooting pool became popular, new places would spring up.   But it doesn't have to be pool, it could be anything.  I think people are likely to seek more physical and social activities at some point as the novelty of the virtual world wears off.

Even if that doesn't happen,  the future of the world belongs to those who have kids,  and the Amish reproduce faster than most people since apparently technology and modernity is really bad for fertility, so the future of the world will belong to those who can best resist it.

10 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Once again that's on you guys if you can't find brilliance in today's music of video games. I do. I can enjoy some classical music but I prefer 1000 times recent stuff. You are just a bunch of old farts, accept it.

Pop music.   The stuff that charts.    I can still find lots of good music being made, but almost none of it charts.   Pop music is more about marketing than art, and has been in a long race to the bottom.

• Thanks 1