IGNORED

Sector Copier for Enhanced Density Compatible w/Incognito?

DrVenkman

This is a pretty specific request, I know, but it seems like it should be a solved problem. :)

I was trying to copy an enhanced density ATR to a real disk earlier this evening with my Incognito-equipped 800 but kept bumping into a really annoying problem: the two enhanced-density aware sector copiers I tried (MyCopyR and CopyMate XE 3.7/3.8) both barf on my Incognito machine with spurious “Remove Cartridge and Reboot!” messages, despite no cart being inserted and having BASIC disabled in the Incognito BIOS.

So, before i go digging through shelves and potentially storage totes looking for a bog-stock Atari to make a sector copy of his 130K ATR, does anyone know of one off-hand that will work with an Incognito-equipped Atari? If not, is there one that will work with an unexpanded 64K XL? 

Thanks! 

The sector copier on the happy 7.1 utilities disk I recall will work in a pinch with non-happy 1050's, it will just drop to standard speed SIO for non happy drives, and was pretty reliable with detecting all three densities. It will use extended RAM in a 52K 800, 128K 130XE and some variants above that for single pass single drive copies too.

• Like 1

I actually have two Happy 1050 drives, but I hadn’t even thought about the Happy utilities disk. I’ll give that a try tomorrow. I just hope it doesn’t whinge at me about removing non-existent cartridges on my Incognito machine like those others I tried. :) 

Don't have an Atari 800 nor an Incognito... but you may try these 130k-720k copy programs, surely one of them works.

If not, there is always Sectorcopy 2 by Craig Chamberlain, old enough that it should work with A800 and 48k RAM:

http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6. Stacja dyskietek&tg=Sectorcopy 2#Sectorcopy 2

or Syncopy: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=6. Stacja dyskietek&tg=Syncopy#Syncopy

Sectcopy.zip

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

I was trying to copy an enhanced density ATR to a real disk earlier this evening with my Incognito-equipped 800 but kept bumping into a really annoying problem: the two enhanced-density aware sector copiers I tried (MyCopyR and CopyMate XE 3.7/3.8) both barf on my Incognito machine with spurious “Remove Cartridge and Reboot!” messages, despite no cart being inserted and having BASIC disabled in the Incognito BIOS.

Can you post the copiers in question so that I can inspect them here? Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Peri Noid said:

I use DiskCopy 1.16 (http://atarionline.pl/utils/6. Stacja dyskietek/Diskcopy (v1)/Diskcopy v1.16 (1996-10-22)(Jaku-b)(PL)[1076k].xex), it can handle SD, ED and DD disks without problems.

The key thing here though - does it work in an Incognito-equipped 800? That’s the real issue I’m trying to figure ot. 

8 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Can you post the copiers in question so that I can inspect them here? Thanks.

Will do, Jon, but it will be after work my time (so not until evening UK time). Thanks!

7 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

Yes, it does. I'm using it also on such a config

That worked perfectly AND it allows more than 2 drives. Excellent! Thanks for that link - I had never tried that program before.

@flashjazzcat, Jon I've attached a zip with the ATRs of the three Enhanced-density aware sector copiers I tried unsuccessfully on my Incognito machine last night. Two of them are just different versions of CopyMate, and the other is one version of MyCopyR. All three complain and tell me to remove non-existent cartridges from the computer. For what it's worth, it didn't seem to matter if I loaded them externally via FujiNet or via the Incognito Loader.

Sector Copiers.zip

20 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Jon I've attached a zip with the ATRs of the three Enhanced-density aware sector copiers I tried unsuccessfully on my Incognito machine last night. Two of them are just different versions of CopyMate, and the other is one version of MyCopyR. All three complain and tell me to remove non-existent cartridges from the computer. For what it's worth, it didn't seem to matter if I loaded them externally via FujiNet or via the Incognito Loader.

Many thanks Herb. Unfortunately I can't reproduce that behaviour at all, having just mounted all three ATRs in turn (via SIO2PC and RespeQt) and booted the Incognito 800 from them one after another (with SpartaDOS X disabled, obviously). All three copiers got as far as being ready to commence copying without protest. I have no doubt that the same would be true if I ran them from the Incognito loader (the only reason I haven't tried this yet is that I can't quite put my hand on my USB CF adapter).

For information, the Incognito 800 here has the latest Incognito JED (i.e. VBXE-ready), and is currently running in NTSC configuration.

10 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

For information, the Incognito 800 here has the latest Incognito JED (i.e. VBXE-ready)

Mine has NOT been updated (didn't want to spend the $ for another single-use programmer + make a new cable, etc), but not sure if that would make a difference. I was booting from a FujiNet device so I could use the web interface to the device to eject the copier ATR image from D1: and replace it with the ATR I wanted to copy, with one of my physical 1050's set as D2: to write the disk.

I wonder if there's some element of user error here? Am I just missing something so obvious I can't see it? This is what I get with Copymate XE 3.8, but the others do the same (but MyCopyR's nag is more colorful :) ). 

IMG_2947.JPG

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2948.JPG

IMG_2949.JPG

IMG_2950.jpg

All I could think of is TRIG3/GINTLK not reading the correct value with the older JED. This seems to ring a bell, although I haven't checked to see if any of the copiers happen to test GINTLK to establish the presence of a cartridge. Certainly there are no subtle settings required to get things to work, so I guess it must be something esoteric like GINTLK.

38 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

All I could think of is TRIG3/GINTLK not reading the correct value with the older JED. This seems to ring a bell, although I haven't checked to see if any of the copiers happen to test GINTLK to establish the presence of a cartridge. Certainly there are no subtle settings required to get things to work, so I guess it must be something esoteric like GINTLK.

Mysteries abound. Maybe I'll upgrade the JED sometime later on just to see.

Also, and at risk of hijacking my own thread, I realized my Incognito BIOS is quite old. I tried to update it just a few minutes ago but UFLASH tells me my hardware is not recognized. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone! :)

EDIT: That last was definitely user error - it's been a good while since I updated firmware! All sorted now. As expected, though, it made no difference with the various sector copiers. I have a working solution as of now thanks to @Peri Noid's suggestion. I'll revisit this thread with a generic status update if/when I get around to updating the JED. 

IMG_2951.JPG

16 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

If UFLASH is telling you the hardware is not recognized when you already have the firmware version shown in your screenshots installed, I think you may have a more fundamental fault.

I was trying to run UFLASH as a standalone XEX from my FujiNet with the FIRMWARE.ATR mounted as D2:. Once I just booted up SDX with the FIRMWARE.ATR in D1:, all went fine running UFLASH from the command line.

As I said, it's been awhile since I've updated anything. That speaks volumes as to the state of your firmware that there just hasn't been a compelling reason to mess with anything for my admittedly-average use cases these last couple of years. It just works, man. No need for most of us to screw around with it much. :)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello Herb

Have you tried MyDOS: "J" -> "1,2(1-1024)/N"  ?

"1,2" is from D1: to D2:, "(1-1024)" is from start to finish, "/N" is don't format the destination.

Sincerely

Mathy

I don't normally use MyDOS but I'll keep that in mind, Mathy. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

This is interesting.

I recently rebuilt and upgraded two 1050's along with building two homemade US Doublers for them.

Wanting to give them a good workout and test with my 800 Incognito, I too, like Dr. V, tried different versions of Copymate with the same failure to launch because of falsely being told "remote cartridge and re-boot"...

I was launching my Copymate XE 3.7 from RespeQt r5.3

Thought this was just me...  Small world.  Let me know how I can help debug in any way.

My Incognito is running FJC v4.20 (had upgraded that at the same time (same weekend)).  JED 1.0

-Bill

15 minutes ago, 8bitbill said:

My Incognito is running FJC v4.20 (had upgraded that at the same time (same weekend)).  JED 1.0

I’m pretty sure Jon hit the nail on the head - something about the older JED for Incognito is making these particular titles think there’s a cartridge inserted when there’s not. Since he tested them on his own machine but with an Incognito updated with a newer JED, he didn’t experience the same issue. The solution then appears to be to update our Incognito boards.