IGNORED

ST/Mega disks on Windows

Hi,

I would like to read all my old Atari ST / Mega HD's and FD's on Windows.

I tried to read a SQ400 from Windows, but it's recognized as RAW

Are there Windows tools / drivers which give access to Atari formatted HD's and FD's

Thank you

Floppy disks should be ok, although I know some USB types don't work well with them, I keep

an old PC with an internal floppy drive for that purpose (running Windows XP :) )

Can't help with the HDD, I assume you have a SCSI card fitted to your PC ?

Yes a SCSI Card is fitted, but as said the HD's are recognized as RAW in Windows

Concerning FD's, I saw somewhere that unconventional formatting, often used on Atari, gives problems. Does it work for you ? What software / drivers are you using on your Windows XP for that purpose ?

4 hours ago, wquatan said:

Concerning FD's, I saw somewhere that unconventional formatting, often used on Atari, gives problems.

Yes, PC's can't read Atari floppy's but what I do is use a utility to create an image, then transfer it to my main PC

and use STEEMSSE with the image mounted, before I got a NetusBEE I used to create floppy images on Steem

then use the utility on my XP machine to write it to a floppy for use in my ST.

So not actually reading/writing floppy's in the normal way on a PC.

This utility was created by an ex-member on this forum that he gives for free.

FloImg1.rar

You can read ST floppies on the PC, but unless they are formatted with a PC compatible format, it is not as straightforward. For reading all ST disks including those with non compatible formats, you need either a PC with an old school floppy interface (not USB), or either one of those external USB devices than can read floppies at the low level, such as the Greaseweazle.

If you still have a working ST with a working floppy drive, there are other options as others already commented.

If you can make a sector image of the disk (using something like HxD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/), I have made a plugin for Total Commander that does its best to interact with AHDI style partitions: https://github.com/ggnkua/Jacknife

I would suggest to make a sector image of the disk first anyway just to be on the safe side, and then try to work on the image.

• Like 2