IGNORED

Allentown Bethlehem Easton Atari Computer Enthusiasts

Allan

I recently got some issues of the Allentown Bethlehem Easton Atari Computer Enthusiasts newsletter and will be posting them soon.

Here is their member's handbook.

https://archive.org/details/allentown-bethlehem-eastons-atari-computer-enthusiasts-member-handbook

And here is the first issue I have scanned.

https://archive.org/details/allentown-bethlehem-eastons-atari-computer-enthusiasts-april-1986/page/n7/mode/2up

The newsletter eventual changed it's name to Hardcopy. You can find some issues scanned by others on Archive.org.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I was a member. Probably during the 84/85 time frame. One of my Hardcopy’s (the only one I ever found) is up on archive.org. 

Around this time of the newsletter you posted is pretty close to the time the 8-bit people broke off and started LVAUG (Lehigh Valley Atari User Group). 

So many names from the past on that newsletter. Great memories. 

• Like 4

I was a member of ABE's ACES, LVAUG, and a friend of LVCUG as well as a volunteer for CFK.

Some where are two vans worth of Disks, tapes, papers, and one of the members (of whom was a member of both as well) also collected almost any system that was no longer wanted by owners of such items. Would be good to see all of that stuff return to the light of day.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I’d love to see it. My name would be Craig Abruzzese. But if you want to pm me the list I’d love to see some of my old friends name. 

Your on the 1985 list I have. I will scan in tomorrow and PM it to you. I have one from '85 and one from '87.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, moonlight_mile said:

I was a member. Probably during the 84/85 time frame. One of my Hardcopy’s (the only one I ever found) is up on archive.org. 

Around this time of the newsletter you posted is pretty close to the time the 8-bit people broke off and started LVAUG (Lehigh Valley Atari User Group). 

I was a member for a short time.   I can remember when they had the Atari Fair at the Hilton with a bunch of Atari execs and other industry people.

Around the time I joined was when all the drama that lead to the formation of LVAUG,  can't remember what it was about.    I eventually attended at least one LVAUG meeting, but don't think I ever joined.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

Yeah I know by 87 lvaug was formed due to Abe’s going almost exclusively 16 bit. 

I've heard about Atari user groups splitting up over the 8/16-bit issue, it's a shame there was no way to get the two platforms to co-exist like file exchanging that didn't require modems.

I had to get an STe for college because there was a local dealer who supported them (for about a year) but I still kept my XE out for games and used ST Xformer to create graphic screens using Atari BASIC and saving them as DEGAS pics.

Edited by MrMaddog
PS: Anyone here remeber the Scranton Area Atari Users Group (SAAUG)?

11 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

I've heard about Atari user groups splitting up over the 8/16-bit issue, it's a shame there was no way to get the two platforms to co-exist like file exchanging that didn't require modems.

You would think it would be doable.   Maybe have breakout sessions at meetings for topics/demos of interest to one group or the other.

As I recall, there was a certain person in the group's leadership who was a big ST snob who looked down on the 8-bit as old-hat and set much of the meeting agendas.  Sometimes personalities get in the way of finding a reasonable middle-ground I guess

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The California based ABACUS group did happily coexist with both 8-bit and 16-bit folks.

I was a member for a few years. The meetings were set up so that the 8-bit stuff came first and then the 16-bit stuff would follow.

Both sections had the same President and vice-president, for awhile, and then the group elected separate folks for the two areas.

The 16-bit part of the club still meets regularly at the last President's home, though the discussions tend to include more modern hardware for the most part.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 1:11 PM, zzip said:

As I recall, there was a certain person in the group's leadership who was a big ST snob who looked down on the 8-bit as old-hat and set much of the meeting agendas.  Sometimes personalities get in the way of finding a reasonable middle-ground I guess

Can't imagine who that might been.

• Haha 1

The amphitheater at NCCC could have very easily handled not only vendors and libraries for both 8 and 16 bit but was large enough you could have run both 8 bit and 16 bit demos concurrently or simultaneously. Plenty of large rooms. They could have done 8 and 16 separately, simultaneously for the first half or three quarters of the meeting and the during the second half or quarter, did the high-lights of both and took care of the other stuff. If  you were afraid folks would leave during the summation and other Business, Do it the other way around, starting with that and then breaking off to the other groups. Showing how the two systems could work together and develop for each other, sharing some of the hacks bridging the gaps between the two etc.

Heck they could have had two complete meetings one for 8 bit one for 16 bit. But that's what happens when people push for a thing.

Doesn't matter though as all arguments seemingly ended with ST is Atari now, Hey lets watch the Atari emulate a MAC, wow midi music, Lets put a jukebox on the screen and let it play some tunes, while check out what so and so of Double Click Computers is up to (or some variation on those themes.)

Edited by _The Doctor__

10 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The amphitheater at NCCC could have very easily handled not only vendors and libraries for both 8 and 16 bit but was large enough you could have run both 8 bit and 16 bit demos concurrently or simultaneously. They could have done 8 and 16 separately, simultaneously for the first half or three quarters of the meeting and the during the second half or quarter, did the high-lights of both and took care of the other stuff. Showing how the two systems could work together and develop for each other, sharing some of the hacks bridging the gaps between the two etc.

I could see the amphitheater being a problem for simultaneous sessions,  but many times they held meetings in a large room in an adjacent building, and that space could easily handle multiple sessions.   I can remember somebody showing off SpartaDos in a side room there, for instance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

LVAUG lasted for many years, and ABE's ACES went bye bye.

I've read the newsletters online and it's plain to see why ABE's ACES died, too much in-fighting & people leaving.  And it had to be more than just the 8-bit vs. ST issue...

BTW, how long did LVAUG last?  In the last Hardcopy issue I found a number for The Keep BBS, in the Wilkes-Barre area, which was a board I used to called back in the 90's.

I remember an early issue was (I think) the president used club funds to purchase a desktop publishing set up. (Laser printer I think was the big expense) and he was keeping it at his house and/or using it for his business or something like that. 

But I do remember that was a big to do at one of the last meetings I was at. 

• Like 1

Also, I was skimming through the newsletters. I really remember the one with the Xmas tree on it. Anyway, there was an article in one of the issues about how someone put Atari Dos 2.5 on cart. I doubt this would have interested me back then, but did this ever. One to fruition?  It isn’t very usable today but would be best to fool with. 

Just wondering. 

Edited by moonlight_mile
  • Like 2

Here is the December, 1986 issue.

https://archive.org/details/allentown-bethlehem-easton-atari-computer-enthusiasts-december-1986

It might take a bit to Archive.org to make it viewable online but you can download the PDF of it now.

****** If anybody has any more of these please scan them or let me borrow them so I can scan them and get them back to you quickly. *****