IGNORED

Another new arcade stick controller, and enclosure option, from doubledown

doubledown

Inspired by @OldStyle's new WIP port, of an old arcade game, for an old video game console...I decided to build a new controller for the occasion...2 in fact.  So presenting my newest VVG Midsize Controller:

Bub Edition:

ottwbS.png

Bob Edition:

bYpPak.png

A few months back I scoured the internet, looking for small and medium sized black plastic enclosures, that I could use for new, smaller, less-elaborate controller builds.  I came across a few that I thought would work, and have since, built a few new controllers with them...for a few different consoles.  This is the first time I've used this particular enclosure, a PacTec PT-8.  The enclosure features a 2-piece molded ABS construction with aluminum top control and rear I/O plates...it measures approximately 9" wide x 6.5" deep...and it features a 15° sloped top surface.  It's a very good size for "simple" joystick controllers with 1 or 2 buttons, that does in fact offer a decent amount of surface area, for supporting your hands on while playing.  

For these 2 particular controllers, I decided to "theme" them for @OldStyle's new port of Bubble Bobble (obviously), as it's a game I enjoy very much, and have very fond memories of playing, with my sister on the NES when we were younger.  As Bubble Bobble is a game originally created by Taito, I opted for Japanese controls, including a Seimitsu LS-32 joystick w/ a Seimitsu LB-30 ball knob (Green & Blue), and Sanwa OBSF-30 Silent pushbuttons (Green & Blue) w/ Arcade Shock classic concave caps (Green & Blue)...as I most assuredly prefer concave plunger pushbuttons, vs. the modern convex style.  Since the arcade version of Bubble Bobble here in the U.S., was distributed by Romstar, as a conversion kit, which included a WICO HD 2-way joystick, I've also configured my Seimitsu joysticks with the 2-way (horizontal) restrictor.  Generally speaking, it's usually not "destructive" to use an 8-way joystick on a 2-way game (unlike the issues of using an 8-way joystick on a 4-way game), but I don't like the feel of the unnecessary up/down joystick movement, when playing a game that only requires left and right manipulation.  And as I have several other joystick controllers, both in 4-way and 8-way configurations, I have no issue dedicating these as 2-way joystick controllers.  But, in my case, as dedicated 2-way (left/right) joysticks...I would need some method to achieve any necessary joystick up/down inputs...to navigate multi-cart and in-game menus and the likes.  So I installed, color matching, NKK M-series rocker switches w/ paddles, at the top/center of the control surface, that are configured as (ON)-OFF-(ON)...to be used to achieve the occasional joystick up/down inputs...as necessary.  That said, of course the joystick could alternately be configured for 4-way or 8-way operation...for universal game playability...and this would negate the need for this extra NKK rocker switch.  

So with this newest PT-8 enclosure added to the arsenal...I now have 8 different enclosures, of varying sizes/constructions/materials, that I can use for any future builds.  Here's a size comparison pic of the "family":

j7qehm.png

Back Row (left to right):

Hammond MFG, 1456 series aluminum, ~20" x 11.5" - Atari 5200: Space Dungeon Experience

Hammond MFG, 1456 series aluminum, ~17" x 11.5" - Intellivision: Super Pro Aluminum Enhanced

Middle Row (left to right):

Hammond MFG, 1456 series aluminum, ~14" x 8.5" - Atari 2600: Kiosk Enhanced

Hammond MFG, 1456 series aluminum, ~10" x 8.5" - ColecoVision: Fire Command Mk. II Enhanced

PacTec, PT-10 ABS/aluminum, ~11" x 8" - ColecoVision: Questar Joystick Mk. II

Front Row (left to right):

Hammond MFG, 1456 series aluminum, ~6.75" x 5.75" - ColecoVision: The Grey Special

Serpac, 17S ABS, ~6.75" x 4.75" - Atari 2600/7800: Gauntlet Stealth Micro 

PacTec, PT-8 ABS/aluminum, ~9" x 6.5" - Atari 7800: Bubble Bobble "BUB" Midsize

and for size reference, my 7800 console.  

Enjoy!

• Like 6

Pretty sure that is the same enclosure that Curt was using on his 7800 Arcade Pro controllers that he had for sale a few years back. I own one of these and it is laid out in a similar manner but also includes a paddle controller on it with a switch in the back to toggle it on/off as needed. If it is the same, then I might have to reach out to you on getting a replacement decal for my current one since Curt originally just used printed sticker sheets that he attached to the metal. And over time that is now peeling quite a bit at the corners.

Or at least, that is how Curt made mine that I received from him at least.

From what I remember...I thought the ones Curt made were in the larger PacTec PT-10 enclosures, which are almost the same size as the 7800 console.  In my picture above, this is in the middle row, far right: ColecoVision: Questar Joystick Mk. II (directly behind the 7800)...of course I could be wrong.  Either way, a new CPO can be made.  Mine are Epson Ultra HD inkjet printed, on Epson premium photo glossy paper, that are 2-sided heat-laminated with glossy 5 mil UV protectant lamination media, with 3M 467MP double-sided adhesive sheeting on the back...for application.  I'm sure we can make a replacement.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, doubledown said:

From what I remember...I thought the ones Curt made were in the larger PacTec PT-10 enclosures, which are almost the same size as the 7800 console.  In my picture above, this is in the middle row, far right: ColecoVision: Questar Joystick Mk. II (directly behind the 7800)...of course I could be wrong.  Either way, a new CPO can be made.  Mine are Epson Ultra HD inkjet printed, on Epson premium photo glossy paper, that are 2-sided heat-laminated with glossy 5 mil UV protectant lamination media, with 3M 467MP double-sided adhesive sheeting on the back...for application.  I'm sure we can make a replacement.  

Maybe he did but the one he made for me looks to be the same size as the one you have directly left of the 7800 in that pic. The one I have is smaller than the 7800. I can take some pics of it later so you can get a better idea, unless it is marked on the enclosure somewhere?

I don't remember seeing any markings on the enclosures themselves...but I wasn't looking for them either.  If they are in fact Pac-Tec PT series enclosures...then as their sizes are noticeably different from each other, you should be able to easily check with a ruler or tape measure, against my approximate size/dimensions from above:

PacTec, PT-10 ABS/aluminum, ~11" x 8"   

PacTec, PT-8 ABS/aluminum, ~9" x 6.5"

For more detailed dimensions...PacTec has the engineering drawings available on their website.  

6 hours ago, doubledown said:

I don't remember seeing any markings on the enclosures themselves...but I wasn't looking for them either.  If they are in fact Pac-Tec PT series enclosures...then as their sizes are noticeably different from each other, you should be able to easily check with a ruler or tape measure, against my approximate size/dimensions from above:

PacTec, PT-10 ABS/aluminum, ~11" x 8"   

PacTec, PT-8 ABS/aluminum, ~9" x 6.5"

For more detailed dimensions...PacTec has the engineering drawings available on their website.  

You are correct! It was indeed the PT-10 as mine does measure 11x8. 3" at the highest point in the back and 1" at the lowest along the front.

52 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

You are correct! It was indeed the PT-10 as mine does measure 11x8. 3" at the highest point in the back and 1" at the lowest along the front.

ujUAHd.gif

😁

12 minutes ago, 0078265317 said:

What is that green switch next to the round green buttons for?

It's detailed above...but, as I have restricted these joysticks to operate as 2-way horizontal joysticks...as is what is arcade accurate for Bubble Bobble...I still need joystick Up & Down inputs for multi-cart, and in-games menu navigation...so the momentary toggle switch, is my Up/Down joystick.  

• 7 months later...

So I really don't know why I didn't think of these ball knobs when I originally built these controllers (maybe because I've never used them before), but here's an update:

"Bub" Edition w/ Seimitsu LB-39, Green "Bubble" Clear, 35mm ball knob

e2oX5G.png

"Bub" Edition w/ Seimitsu LB-49, Green "Bubble" Clear, 45mm ball knob

gU1o1a.png

The "Bubble" Clear knobs are the obvious choice for these controllers (its right there in the name), and I apologize for my initial misstep with the original stupid solid color knobs I chose!  😉  I am still debating on which size I like better.  Normally the 45mm knobs would seem way to big, but as I drop mounted these joysticks quite a bit, and they are set up for only 2-way horizontal operation, the 45mm knobs feel pretty good.  I'll have to play test a little further to make up my mind.  Then when I get a chance, I'll need to update the pics of the "Bob" Edition controller too.  Enjoy!

• Like 4