IGNORED

Excited about Starfield?

I wasn't on any part of the massive hype train for this game (I heard of it relatively late) but so far I am quite pleased with the game overall.  I've not run into any quest/core game bugs but I have had a few CTDs in the over 20 hours.

My special mission ship (won't say what, no spoilers) and my crappy base of mostly containers - but hey at least I built a parking spot for the ship 😄

image.thumb.jpeg.cd0c44294ba099ac226820f94b46f504.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7d69aab80e1d4147f17413ac6b5532e9.jpeg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I wasn't on any part of the massive hype train for this game (I heard of it relatively late) but so far I am quite pleased with the game overall.  I've not run into any quest/core game bugs but I have had a few CTDs in the over 20 hours.

My special mission ship (won't say what, no spoilers) and my crappy base of mostly containers - but hey at least I built a parking spot for the ship 😄

image.thumb.jpeg.cd0c44294ba099ac226820f94b46f504.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7d69aab80e1d4147f17413ac6b5532e9.jpeg

But how many sandwiches have you collected?

• Haha 1

My wife and I installed and played last night via Game Pass on XBox.  We played for a few hours until you get to the first populated planet (I think it is called New Atlantis?  Constellation?)

Anyway, I haven't played any of the recent Bethesda games that have been focused on first person shooter gameplay (Anthem?  Prey?), and the design here seems to be heavily influenced by FPS games - kind of a disappointment.  I even had to lookup online if there was going to be "magic" in the game because I'm not really interested in playing a game where the main action revolves around collecting and shooting guns in first person.  It's just not my genre, and it was all guns last night - no powers.  

We also somehow landed at the wrong place in the tutorial on a planet called Kreet and were wandering around wondering what went wrong.  We stumbled onto some enemies that we thought were part of the tutorial, but we figured out were meant to be dealt with much later in the game - made the emphasis on FPS play much more apparent than it would have otherwise because it kicked our a$$.  We switched to third person view and then got back on track with the tutorial where the enemies were much easier.  That's when we saw the old Bethesda come through - their games are REALLY about searching through furniture for semi-useless items.

Anyway, I'm sure I will play this, and it will be fun.  It certainly looked and sounded incredible, but my first playtime with it was kind of average in that I think the core genre seems to be a miss for me and a departure from what I was expecting based on old-school (mid-school?) Fallout and Elder Scrolls.

I'll also say that I am just not really interested in playing the parts of Bethesda games where you build your house or your settlement.  I usually skip those entirely, and it was a big turnoff for me in Fallout 4, so the parts of Starfield where you get to design a ship or a base are things I'm not looking forward to.  My wife loves that sh!+ though.

• Like 1

i haven't spent near as much as time as i would have liked in the game so far (plus i started over once, so that puts me behind a bit, lol).  What I HAVE played so far is great imo.

The ship combat/operation seems a little fiddly with an XBox controller but I'll get the swing of it pretty soon.  I like that you can set courses to the planets/etc through the mission menu.

Otherwise, it seems really cool!  Once I finish Sea of Stars (I'm like 80% through), I'll play this in earnest. :)

Edited by digdugnate
  • Like 2

I'm about fifteen hours into my Starfield game and I'm loving every (well, almost every) minute of it so far.  Everyone's experience may vary, but I had a little bit of trouble in the beginning once you gain access to more stuff navigating the star maps and plotting courses, but once I did it a few times it seemed to fall into place.

There's no absence of things to do in-game, though sometimes it feels a little 'samey' going to the planet, killing bad guys, looting, rinse, repeat, but really to me the game mixes it up a fair amount if you choose to do different stuff in-between.  Without spoilers, the story quest chain in Neon is a wild ride, whereas I thought the initial Akila City stuff was boring and cliched to do.

A lot of the side quests were really well-done and I thought worth doing so far.  :)  It's convinced me at this point to move from GamePass to actual purchase in a few days.

• Like 1

@digdugnate I’m having a bit of trouble with some fetch quests, such as helping the tree scientist. I know where I’m supposed to go, but I can’t find the biosensors, even with my scanner on. Same with placing a beacon on top of the Mars launch tower. It’s like some things don’t trigger right. They seem like bugs. Seen anything like that?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

@digdugnate I’m having a bit of trouble with some fetch quests, such as helping the tree scientist. I know where I’m supposed to go, but I can’t find the biosensors, even with my scanner on. Same with placing a beacon on top of the Mars launch tower. It’s like some things don’t trigger right. They seem like bugs. Seen anything like that?

with the tree quest, the sensors look like white eggs by the trees (one is in the tree, one another a goofy kid got before you).  in general the blue 'dots' were in the right place for me but if nothing is showing up for you at all that might be a bug :)  i don't think i've run across anything that made quests unfinishable.

the only weirdness i've seen is like in the menu when it can't seem to make up its mind to show you in your suit or not, or some inconsistencies with the star maps.  (knock on wood)

• Like 1

Well, I had a day off today, and decided to be a space adventurer. 🚀

• Did zero story missions today. I gave up on the real plot when it branched into 3 little intro quests--visit the eye, talk to coe, rescue first dude--I only did that last one. But I'm 35.9 hours into it according to steam 🤣
  • I ran some collections for the bank, did a bounty, and several fetch quests, some bordering on sketchy, but not technically illegal.
  • fully scanned/explored some rock, and have Jemison almost cataloged
  • better boost pack. WEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • cleaned out a bunch of random adventure locations. most interesting was a cold weather human bio-modification lab. Found some instant-stat-upgrade magazines.
  • docked at a zero-g party, helped 3 random stranded space travelers.
  • put an outpost on Earth.  Earth population is now 1 (that I know of), so I'm the King of Earth. There weren't many votes in the election that never happened. I don't know why nobody's there, because it still looks better than mars.
  • found and upgraded a sweet yellow-tier high-damage pistol for my companion (its ammo is too rare for me to carry)
  • defeated an invisible monster called a "terrormorph" that talks inside my brain while attacking. I feel like I should have known what that was before tripping over one. 
  • and then my parents surprised me with a really sweet new ship. Needs more cargo room, but unless I stretch it longer, for more module space (like I did the default ship), I'll have to put points/research into better cargo modules. I'm currently not at all spec'd for building/crafting.
  • new ship's jump capacity got me to akila city. with more range I can do more kiosk missions.

So far I'm the most surprised that the game mostly rewards charging in over stealth, and even more surprised how okay I am 'just going with that,' since that's not usually how I play.  the intro tutorial mission in the last deus ex game took me two evenings of sneaking, for example.

There have been a couple instances of sneaky backdoors, and vent-crawling, but it mostly comes down to putting bullets into skulls as quickly as possible, and charging forward is the best way to counter the enemy cover-mechanics.

I'm pretty surprised at the mixed-baggedness of feedback the game's getting. Some of the comments out there make me wonder if I'm playing a different game.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

On 9/12/2023 at 9:50 PM, Reaperman said:

Well, I had a day off today, and decided to be a space adventurer. 🚀

• Did zero story missions today. I gave up on the real plot when it branched into 3 little intro quests--visit the eye, talk to coe, rescue first dude--I only did that last one. But I'm 35.9 hours into it according to steam 🤣
  • I ran some collections for the bank, did a bounty, and several fetch quests, some bordering on sketchy, but not technically illegal.
  • fully scanned/explored some rock, and have Jemison almost cataloged
  • better boost pack. WEEEEEEEEEEE!
  • cleaned out a bunch of random adventure locations. most interesting was a cold weather human bio-modification lab. Found some instant-stat-upgrade magazines.
  • docked at a zero-g party, helped 3 random stranded space travelers.
  • put an outpost on Earth.  Earth population is now 1 (that I know of), so I'm the King of Earth. There weren't many votes in the election that never happened. I don't know why nobody's there, because it still looks better than mars.
  • found and upgraded a sweet yellow-tier high-damage pistol for my companion (its ammo is too rare for me to carry)
  • defeated an invisible monster called a "terrormorph" that talks inside my brain while attacking. I feel like I should have known what that was before tripping over one. 
  • and then my parents surprised me with a really sweet new ship. Needs more cargo room, but unless I stretch it longer, for more module space (like I did the default ship), I'll have to put points/research into better cargo modules. I'm currently not at all spec'd for building/crafting.
  • new ship's jump capacity got me to akila city. with more range I can do more kiosk missions.

So far I'm the most surprised that the game mostly rewards charging in over stealth, and even more surprised how okay I am 'just going with that,' since that's not usually how I play.  the intro tutorial mission in the last deus ex game took me two evenings of sneaking, for example.

There have been a couple instances of sneaky backdoors, and vent-crawling, but it mostly comes down to putting bullets into skulls as quickly as possible, and charging forward is the best way to counter the enemy cover-mechanics.

I'm pretty surprised at the mixed-baggedness of feedback the game's getting. Some of the comments out there make me wonder if I'm playing a different game.

There's a few instances where stealth is encouraged- the main one that comes to mind are the Ryujin series of quests you can pick up.  (I won't give spoilers, but the ones I've done so far require more sneakiness than usual)  Also, Sarah the companion is really persnickety when it comes to doing subterfuge stuff, so I'm wondering with Andreja is better.  For what it's worth, I'm already space-married (the game calls it 'committed') to Sarah, also.  There are some pretty spicy lines when you go to bed.  ;);) 

Story-wise, I played through 'Into the Unknown' before I started dorking with side quests a whole lot.  I think going up to that point establishes the story pretty firmly and then it's easier to hop off and be the Space Scoundrel you want to be.  

• 2 weeks later...

The best I've found with stealth are the helium 3 refineries. Not the mines into the hills, but the factory-looking things filled with tanks. They have a back door that you can cut out and go in to grab the helium 3 with little resistance.  H3's awfully heavy and worthless considering its in-fiction value.  Also those science towers have a vent hatch on top. Those start stealthy, but have so many enemies in them that the alarm's going off pretty much no matter what.

Right now I'm trying to survey a cold an irradiated moon for a mission.  Oh but its far from lifeless. it has hostile creatures up to about twice my level. What I really need to find is an epicly-legendary sweater. It'd cut down on my hypothermia meds. 

The other day I did the most uniquely annoying side quest ever. Salvaging liquor from an derelict ship for the bar on gagarin. Gravity would cycle on/off every few seconds allowing elevator shafts to be used for navigation. Star citizen used to have a similar mission/location minus the gravity cycles. I wonder how that game's doing...

I'm still about where I was story-wise in my last post 12 days ago. Though I did get around to visiting the eye so I could sell survey data. I'm 68 hours in with no superpowers unlocked. Level 26 IIRC. I've mostly stopped picking up loot since nobody seems to have enough money to buy much of it. I do grab the occasional weapon, since my flight suit is 'holstered' making weapons weigh half as much.

I may need to build a ship up for combat, since I finding I'm a bit outclassed vs my level of pirates. That'll mean more levelling for perks.

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!

I visited a space-temple and got my first dragon shout a few hours ago. I have progressed the storyline!  (somewhat)

It took me a little while. 

jH876YO.png

Then I got distracted by the 'first contact' side mission while on the way to Paradiso to get the swimsuit outfit. ...for no reason, stop judging me. 😇

I unlocked class b ships only to realize that they don't seem to have much (any?) advantage over class a. I'd hoped a higher class reactor on lower tier ship would mean 'nearly unlimited powah'--it does not. Actually I can't even find a class b reactor that outperforms my class-a 😕

Really digging the va'ruun dirge. a stroud-eklund class A ship. I wound up with two of them playing GTA at random ship landing sites on a some low-gravity moon (maybe it was even 'the' moon).

speaking of, I went looking for apollo 11 landing site on there a week or so ago, and didn't see it, but it's supposedly there.  That landing-dot is not the most precise thing ever. I did find several interest points full of mercenaries that didn't have enough bullets in their skulls yet.  Now that' I've seen it up close rather than through a scope, their low-health animation of crawling away begging for their lives kind of makes me wonder if I'm the baddie.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I've taken a week-or-so break from Starfield since I had put like forty hours in my first game, finished it, and went to New Game+.  I won't spoil it, but it's a lot of fun the second time around (plus you can skip the story).   

I'm hoping to pick it back up between playing a couple games on the Switch and working on Forza Motorsport.

4 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I'm like ~65 hours in and have done... five main storyline quests.   I am however level 32 and also married 😄

Shipwise I've been flying the Shieldbreaker for some time now.

now, don't keep us in suspense! who did you marry?  hehe

(First game was Sarah, my NG+ is Andreja)

12 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

This caught my attention.  Apparently a modder removed some "really lame" puzzle in the game.  But this bit --- 10 total playthroughs?  I feel sorry for the completionists. 

image.thumb.png.b94db1fbe5bb3f8743a431df583e6dda.png

lol, wow.  i might do this between three and five times, but i don't even see myself running the game ten times to get everything.

• 1 month later...