IGNORED

Atari 1050 / Atari 1035

hueyjones70

When Dropcheck introduced the new and improved XF 551 PCBs, I bought 4.  I butchered the first one that I attempted to populate by soldering in the wrong components and then destroying some traces in the desoldering process. Two of the next 3 turned out OK so I had two working 551 PCBs even though they were the old type.  I finally used one of them along with an empty 1050 case to create a 1035 disk drive.  I had to do some modifications to the bottom case. I glued some pieces of wood to the bottom case so I could secure the PCB and I cut a rectangular hole in the rear of the case. Afterwards I made a fitted a piece of plastic over the rectangular hole that had cutouts for the SIO connectors, power supply, switch, and dip switch.  The switch in front is a dummy but the LED indicates power on.

1035 A.jpg

1035B.jpg

1035 C.jpg

1035 D.jpg

1035 E.jpg

1035 F.jpg

1035 g.jpg

1035 h.jpg

• Like 8

I had it made at a trophy shop. It cost about $10.  I took in the 1050 name badge that I had completely flattened out and told them to make the new one the same size. I put the bends on the ends.  I haven't glued it down good enough, I am going to get some contact cement for that.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I like the 1551 idea. XL 1551 or just 1551

Or maybe XF314 named after the Atari ST SF314 double-sided double-density 3½" floppy drive (720 KB) with external power supply? However I never really understood the numbering scheme.

Apparently there was a XF351 prototype 3½" floppy drive for the A8 but never released.

• 3 months later...

I badged it as an XL1035, sold it on eBay, and it was destroyed during shipping. It was heavily wrapped in bubblewrap and surrounded by styrofoam panels. It appears to have been dropped on one end or one end was slammed into something that didn't move. The rear panel was cracked and the rear of the motherboard was damaged. Since I don't have a spare MB, it is probably beyond restoration.

• Sad 2

I badged it as an XL1035, sold it on eBay, and it was destroyed during shipping. It was heavily wrapped in bubblewrap and surrounded by styrofoam panels. It appears to have been dropped on one end or one end was slammed into something that didn't move. The rear panel was cracked and the rear of the motherboard was damaged. Since I don't have a spare MB, it is probably beyond restoration.

I jumpered every contact on the MB that appeared to be damaged and the drive is working. Now I have something that I have to keep close to home. It is something akin to one of the old 1960s cars that I owned; I could start it and operate it with no problems but someone not familiar with it's quirks would likely get stranded somewhere.

• Like 1